Notices

Night Nurse/Nyquil?

Old 07-02-2022, 09:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Obladi, now I’m sleeping on and off and the headache’s minimal, I’m not taking any medication.

I only just come back from four week’s holiday on Wednesday. What a nightmare it would’ve been if I’d got this a week earlier. It shows that holidaying at the moment isn’t without risks.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Feel better soon, Hodd. Rest up, stay hydrated, stay away from others. Re-test at 5 days. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2022, 10:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I did a bit of reading just now. NyQuil is about as strong as wine, but the recommended dose is very small. If I took a small sip of red wine, I’d probably go for more, even after three and a half years sober. There are non alcohol versions of these medicines, so if I’m still struggling tomorrow, I’ll give these a go
Hodd,I knew a man who was sober over 40 years.One night he had trouble sleeping.He thought if he took a capfull of mouthwash it would help him sleep.The mouthwash had alcohol in it.
He took a cap full or 2 and it didn`t help.It wasn`t too long before he turned the bottle up and drank it and off on a binge for months.He could have died.A few group members got him sobered up and he never drank again.

true story
good luck

Old 07-02-2022, 01:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I had a feeling you might have COVID. I also had the horrendous headache and lethargy. I was down for 10 days. So, rest up. Lots and lots of rest.

As for the Night Nurse/ Nyquil, etc.
If I am using over the counter medications as suggested. Not using those medications to get high or drunk, then I am sober. I do not see it as an issue in my life. I did use the softgel Nyquil when I had COVID and it helped me to sleep and to not feel so awful. The body aches associated with COVID were to a lesser degree. I am still sober. I have been sober for 21 months.

I think our intentions are what matter here.

Maybe some individuals cannot use over the counter meds with alcohol, and we are each unique in this. Its a personal decision we all make. Intentions.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Still sober and still rockin in the free world!

Take care of yourself. I hope you feel better soon!

Old 07-02-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm glad that didn't happen while you were traveling. You could have ended up with a seriously high hotel bill while you recuperated. I wish you a speedy recovery. My son got over it fairly rapidly, although he has a lingering cough that's slowly getting better.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Get well soon Hodd.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hope you have a good rest overnight, Hodd.
Don't try to do too much: the fatigue can be surprisingly intense.
Glad you have a source of light nourishing meals available.
Take care.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, Hodd and hope you are doing alright.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Viking, surprisingly feeling way better today. Appetite’s back and can go up and down stairs without holding on for dear life 🤣 It may be the case that Covid symptoms worsen over time, but apart from a minor headache and a little tiredness, I think I might’ve got away with this one.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

One thing I did but at the start of all this was buy an oxymeter. You put your finger inside and it measures the oxygen saturation in the blood. That is the big danger with Covid - oxygen levels in blood can drop and then it’s time to go to hospital. However, I don’t even have any respiratory symptoms and my blood oxygen is fine so far.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Sounds good Hodd. Hope you're over the worst if it now
Old 07-06-2022, 01:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Just an update on this (very non-SR-related) thread 🙂

Day 1 and 2 were rough. I’d highly recommend people buy on oximeter to check all is OK and that your blood is getting enough oxygen through your lungs. I’m obviously not a doctor, but I am a science teacher, and those little sacs in your lungs which transfer oxygen into and carbon dioxide out of the blood are all that’s keeping us all going. If they get clogged, it’s a problem, and the only way of knowing whilst at home is an oximeter. My lungs did feel heavy, and that would’ve been scary without it.

So jumping forward to day 5, I feel fine. I’m still showing positive on LFT, but I’ve been up this morning tidying the mess from five days of slobbery 🤣 Take it folks, and thanks for the messages.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good to hear you are getting better. Hopefully not too long now until the LFT's are negative.