Notices

Need help / freaked out

Old 06-22-2022, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help / freaked out

I am so ashamed, embarrassed and saddened to admit I am a crack user. I’m addicted, and it is awful. Want to stop but can’t. Don’t want to give up weed and alcohol—I’m definitely not a big drinker; but I do love weed. Because I don’t want to be totally sober, I can’t do AA or NA. I just need help and want so badly to quit this awful drug but literally can’t. Need people to talk to about this as I’m suffering in shame and silence whole spending all my money and living a lonely, pathetic, sub par, impoverished existence. Help help help!! Anyone else addicted to crack and trying to stop? Anyone recovered from this awful addiction who can give me hope? Ugh ugh. Also ...my name isn’t posted here, right? Just my username, yeah? If anyone answers this, I will be very grateful. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jessica

be totally reassured that only your user name is shown here, and we only get to hear what you want to share.
Its a safe space.

I've never done crack but I did have a few addictions going on at once - booze and pot for me.

I understand you not wanting to give up everything but that was the only way I could make it work.

I had to quit everything in order to stay in recovery - it was like every time I got drunk I wanted to be high and vice versa.

I hope you stick around anyway - this is a great place to be

D
Old 06-23-2022, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Jessica42226! You'll find lots of support and understanding here!
Old 06-23-2022, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been there.
I gave it up but that only sent my other addictions, weed and alcohol , into overdrive.
Wasted a couple decades thinking a drunk stoner was better than a crack head.

My advice is give it ALL up.
None of it is doing you any favors.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You don't need to feel shame here (nor anywhere really, but here we all have a shared disease of addiction).
Old 06-23-2022, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no shame Jessica and be assured that you have anonymity here.

I expect that your use of weed and alcohol could increase when you stop using crack. When we're addicted, our minds are searching for something to fill the hole that we feel. I think that stopping everything would be easier in the long run. I hope you stop using crack and please know that we're here to support you.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have felt terribel shame Jessica and know how crippling it is, as have many here, so don't feel alone!
There is a way forward from it, which is to stop. Personally I think stopping all of it would be good. Stopping crack may just drive you to do more of the other stuff. You have to really want to stop. You have to want and accept that there is some hard work to achieve it.
The good bit is that there are plenty of folk here that will support you.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jessica,
. When I was a young man the drinking age here was 18 and the bars closed at 4am.
Besides being a big rum drunk, I chain smoked inhaling that goodness to my toes.
I could be on my 4th pack after a long day by the time the bars closed.
I also liked dropping acid, omg one of me and my buddies would do it at work.
Not cool, good thing I never got fired.
I decided to quit all that at the same time at age 22.
I was pissed off to beat the band.
Very tough but it is doable.
I didn't have any sort of support back then, I didn't know about AA etc.
I agree with what others said about cleaning house with your addictions.
If I could do it without help, you can do it with all the help there is out there now.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you all so much. I appreciate the support. I hope I can beat this.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ps

PS fishkiller, you were a crackhead?
Old 06-23-2022, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jessica42226 View Post
PS fishkiller, you were a crackhead?
I don't know.
I do know I tried it, liked it, then spent 2 years or so chasing it as much as I could. Well past the point which I knew it was a problem but like any other addiction I kept at it until I didn't anymore.
It was not easy. Never is.

I will say for me it was easier than giving up cigarettes. Which I picked back up to replace the coke.

This is why I Highly recommend giving it all up. If not all at once then at least make a plan to get completely sober soon.

It really is a MUCH better life.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jessica42226 View Post
Thank you all so much. I appreciate the support. I hope can beat this.
This is a better mindset
Old 06-24-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do it, but I agree with others in that the decision here has to be full sobriety.

It can be scary when you haven’t done it for a while, but it is most definitely a much, much, much better life than one with addiction.

At my worst point I was a heavy drinker and coke user, almost daily. My plan, like yours, was to quit coke but keep the drink. I did it, but, like with fish killer, over time this took drinking completely out of hand, to a point worse than the coke was actually.

You can do this, and I think you should be open to getting help from wherever you can. I quit coke cold turkey, it took 3 months going strictly to work and back home, it also took no alcohol during that period, and many other things.

But from what I understand crack is even harder to quit, so I would consider going somewhere if you can, or joining a group. I think the fear of doing it could be your addiction trying to resist a possible solution.

You can do this, but first you have to really, really want to do it.