Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Following in well trodden fishsteps- Weekenders 24-27 June 2022

Notices

Following in well trodden fishsteps- Weekenders 24-27 June 2022

Old 06-24-2022, 03:17 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

CBS, I love Dali's "moustache ", like Salvador Dali's distinctive 'tache! Any relation?!

I helped a friend go through mountains of paperwork today. She tends to keep everything. Receipts from 12 years ago, and old newspapers, for example. She's not a hoarder, just never gets round to stuff as she's super busy. I enjoyed helping her, although it was a bit of a battle at times! It's good for me to feel useful.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:32 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Prayers ML.
Despite refusing me putting a chicken wire fence and a used dog...both now approved...so looking.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:43 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

AND more importantly, spent the morning talking with my oldest son, a proud father I am, and very grateful.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:44 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Thanks for the new thread, Mags.

Hi Tetra.

Lovely cat, CBS. Does he still need Prozac or was that only while he adjusted to indoor living? Just curious.

Leshar you are becoming quite the animal rescuer. Your chipmunk buddy sounds adorable. Could the owner of the cat maybe put a bell on a collar to warn the wildlife of his presence?

Manta, so pleased you have had positive news and sorry it was dampened by your Mum. I imagine she too is under stress and worried about you. I guess you both need to find some middle ground to smooth the way. Keep healing.

Do you mean you are getting a dog PJ?

I'm still having decorating nightmares. I have no vision. The other day I paid a handyman £40 to have a heavy mirror hung, today I am taking it down, returning it and filling in the holes. I am literally driving myself mad. The stress drove me to binge on, wait for it, EIGHT hot cross buns . I don't want to start all that nonsense again. I have had a grip on it for a while.

The mirror, far too big and grand for me and my little house.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:11 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

It’s a gorgeous mirror Kaily. It might grow on you.

Nice one PJ.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:23 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear your good news MantaLady - sorry about your mum tho.

Sounds good PJ

D
Old 06-25-2022, 12:12 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good morning Weekenders!

Manta, good to read about your positive news but sorry to read about the fall out with your mum.

PJ, good to read about you spending the mroning talking with your eldest son.

It's Saturday morning, my favourite time of the week to be sober as it means I've got a nice weekend ahead of me to do things. This morning I'm heading off to do some shopping at one of the local retail parks which means I'll probably come back home with lots of things I never intended to buy. Then it's a lazy Saturday afternoon and evening.

I hope everyone has a nice Saturday.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:13 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, I hope everyone got or gets through Friday evening OK.

It is a long time since I watched any darts on TV as it is a strong reminder of my drinking days.

That's great news about your son PhoenixJ!

The mirror looks great Kaily.

I just read that poliovirus has been found in London sewage. That's bad.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:08 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

yes, I'm getting a used dog. Large enough that it looks like a dog, old enough to be well(ish) behaved
Old 06-25-2022, 04:00 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Yay PJ! Can’t wait to see your new pup

Catching up on some gardening this weekend while continuing to rest….I need to do some stretches too….went back to work this past week and I am sore!

Old 06-25-2022, 04:56 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Great opening post. I had a true fish-out-of-water day yesterday- wanted to do SOMETHING but no one was around. Really didn't know what to do with myself. Didn't want to shop, eat or go for a walk, read a book, or stay in my house. Ended up driving around a bit, went to a restaurant, sat down, had a seltzer, left. Drove around a little more. Called a friend- they were busy. Came home, puttered around a little, ended up sitting on SR for a long time and putting on a movie. Feeling a little bit lost, actually- like ok, I'm sober and now what? My house is cleaner, I'm better at my job and I'm not wasting time/money and health on booze- but I'm lonely. I feel like I'm still wasting time, and I just don't know where to go or what to do about it. I think maybe it's time to join a gym- I would like to improve my fitness, but mostly I want to meet some new people. I love my friends, but they are all married and it's getting lonely out here- now I feel like I can offer someone a good partner- but I'm a sober fish out of water. Thank goodness for this place.

Happy sober weekend everyone- looks like it's going to be a warm one if you're in the USA.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Picked Mr. Alpine up at the airport late last night. Not sure what we will do this weekend. Most likely spend time on the water.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:42 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Viking I'm sure we all get those days. I know I do.
Just wandering around with what feels like no purpose.

The Great thing about doing it sober is we wake up fresh the next day ready for whatever comes. Not sick, miserable and anxious.

Life, for me anyway, seems to come in spurts. One minute I am overwhelmed and the next I'm like, well what now?

I am learning we need to embrace those slow days. Might as well. They will come. Like it or not.

I have met more people in the 2.5 years I've been sober than ever.
Just by being my authentic self.
None of these new friends were sought out. They just came along while I was living this new, authentic life.
Keep being you and they will come.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:42 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Picked Mr. Alpine up at the airport late last night. Not sure what we will do this weekend. Most likely spend time on the water.
I know what You won't be doing👍
Old 06-25-2022, 05:57 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm having a very lazy afternoon and can't decide whether to go for a walk or just stay home, lounge around, listen to some music and do little else. There's a part of me that's saying I should go for a walk and another part that's wanting to just stay at home and chill. I'm actually feeling quite tired this afternoon despite having done little today other than shopping this morning. I like to keep myself motivated, I find the best way to do this is to have some sort of routine and that includes going for a daily walk. But there's another part of me that can't be bothered to do anything today!
Old 06-25-2022, 06:12 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
I know what You won't be doing👍
Darn right!! Woot woot

I had a lazy couple of days which I kind of felt guilty about, but then thought to myself these " lazy" days are far better then my days of drinking that absolutely nothing got done and my thought processes were out the window. Now that was a huge waste.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:34 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

^
Yes, I'm (sort of) feeling guilty for not doing anything this afternoon. But a lazy day once in a while is OK and is certainly better than a day of drinking.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:45 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion lazy days are Necessary

Just don't string to many together.👍
Old 06-25-2022, 07:43 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders,
That's good news on all fronts PJ!

Kaily, I too, love the mirror! Perhaps you'll consider keeping it? The cat does have a collar with bells, but he's a typical stealthy creature. Every day I get to visit with "my" chipmunk I'm happy.

VikingGF, I get it. I get lonely too. But I don't want to hang around my former "best friend ", who "floats at the bottom of a glass" to quote an Elton John song.

I'd like to see the Elvis biopic. I've never minded going to the movies alone.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:51 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Leshar, Dali is named for Salvador Dali because of his mustache 😉.

Viking maybe try volunteering for an organization that you support? That’s a good way to meet people and it feels good to help others.

I played tennis this morning and that was an enjoyable. Now I’m gonna do some chores and try to relax. I have yummy leftovers from last nights dinner. We had some good friends over. I made mocktails. I have a new juicer. They turned out great. Apple, celery, ginger, lemon and lime in seltzer water.