Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Following in well trodden fishsteps- Weekenders 24-27 June 2022

Notices

Following in well trodden fishsteps- Weekenders 24-27 June 2022

Old 06-23-2022, 09:45 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Hope it’s a good sober day for everyone.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, in for this weekend.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I’m in! I am also home thankfully. I have an appointment with my oncologist at lunch to discuss the results of my scan. He did call me the day before yesterday and gave me a heads up that was good news and the main tumour has reduced by 55% and the lymph nodes by 68%. Still have one more round of chemo next week aswell so positive so far.

Me and my mum had a serious fall out as she wanted a serious conversation and I was too ill to deal with anything like that. She refused to get some support which is putting too much pressure on me which I just don’t have the mental energy to carry, told me I should be thinking about her and I am being selfish. All this happened whilst dropping off my stuff to be admitted to hospital, I was in excruciating pain and on morphine so I said that this was not the time to have that conversation as I was in too much pain so she threw a tantrum and walked off and left me in the car park with 2 suitcases I could not carry back to the ward. I wish she hadn’t put me in that position because I have to keep my distance now. She is too toxic to be around and have been craving a drink ever since.

However, news from the Dr is good and that is what I am going to concentrate on for now x

Hugs and love to anyone who needs it x
Old 06-24-2022, 01:37 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Oh, and hi Tetra, really good to see you again xx
Old 06-24-2022, 02:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

OMG Manta you’ve gotta be kidding?!? That sounds completely narcissistic on your mother’s part…so sorry you have that on top of all the crap you already have to deal with….sending extra hugs…and happy to hear good news is coming with your appointment!
Old 06-24-2022, 03:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Mantalady, the positive results from the oncologist sounds very good. Sorry about the drama with your mom. Close family drama is the worst.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:07 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sorry to hear that Manta. That's the last thing you need. You must think about yourself before others during this time.

Many years ago, I use to use common passwords for everything. Until one time when, Netflix messaged me about a log-in somewhere in the USA. So I got myself a good password manager and set about making all my passwords strong an unique. The downside is I have to lookup a password before I can login, Even my bank.

Here is a useful tool, this guy collects data breaches and makes them available for you to search. You can check to see if your password has ever been found in a data breach, You can also check your e-mail address or phone number. Now if you find your information on this site, it doesn't mean you've been compromised, it simply means the information has been found in a data breach somewhere.
My old password shows up here as does one of my e-mail addresses. Which may explain all the spam.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

It's understandable that people would not want to enter their passwords on some unfamiliar website. Which is why the site also allows you to download the entire file and take a look at it for yourself.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Manta, that is great news about the tumor and I 100% understand about the dealings with your Mom. I am going through that along with dealing with a sister with same behaviors. It takes so much energy for me, I can't imagine how tired you must be. Please take car of yourself
Old 06-24-2022, 04:54 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi MantaLady,
I'm glad to hear your encouraging results, but I'm sorry you had to go through all that with your mother. It does sound like it's best to distance yourself from her for a while. I'm sure it must add to your distress.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:26 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

First of all, you guys had me so entertained, I forgot to jump in and say, I AM IN❤️. FK, OMG, I do enjoy your wit, humor, and support here and throughout SR 🤓

Mags, GREAT OP

My maiden name was a kind of fish, soooooo I’m with this school.😩

RunningS, I’ve told many people about your horrible experience. It takes a lot of guts to come forward and share that so we are not also sacrificed. Thank you and again, I’m am so sorry.

Manta. OMG 🤬😡🤬😡🤬😡🤬
Ok, no more negative on that, I’m glad you are home, and here, and are sober. We are blessed.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend! ☼
Old 06-24-2022, 06:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Manta I am so glad you got some good news and you are home! I am sorry your mom is so narcissistic. As someone else said put you first right now and try not to worry over her shortcomings.

Lehsar it sounds like you have a pet chipmunk! I have 2 cats. One of them was indoor/outdoor and hunted incessantly. We decided for a number of reasons, especially for wildlife, to make him indoor only. He did not like it at first and misbehaved by peeing everywhere but the vet put him on Prozac and now all is good. We have lots of bunnies, birds and chipmunks now and they are safe from Dali.

I am doing pretty well lately with my PAWS symptoms except the persistent rocking/dizziness. I attribute that to the prescribed benzo use and/or the decades of drinking. My brain is still trying to rewire I guess. I have seen all the doctors and they can't find anything else. But I feel like I live on a boat. Always rocking. But at least I am able to function. There are a bunch of people on "Benzobuddies" that suffer from the same thing. Apparently the antibiotics and dental surgery has caused a setback with the brain rewiring.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good sober weekend.

Here is my Dali.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:42 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

So sorry to hear about your mom drama, Manta. But I'm glad your news from the oncologist is generally good!

Dali is a fine chap, indeed.
I have two cats. I got them both from the Humane Society. The older one was a stray that had lived outdoors before being rescued. The younger was a part of a litter that had been surrendered. So, the older one still wants very much to go outside, and a couple of times I did let her. One day, she brought me a baby bird (dropped it at my feet while I was sitting in my favorite chair, inside), and that was the end of that. She hasn't been out since. The bird was a robin that was hatched by loving parents who nest under my deck every year. The poor thing was wounded - I took it outside and placed it under the nest, hoping the parents would take care of it, but it was too far gone and it died. The younger one is very curious, and she manages to sneak out between my legs every once in a while, but she cowers and is easy to catch and take back inside. I don't want my cats outside catching birds or other critters and wandering. They live longer as indoor cats, too.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Enjoyed George Ezra, he performed at the Queens jubilee concert thing recently.

Sorry about your mum's drama MantaLady but the good results are more important, good stuff.

Dali has the confidence to be in the way from four different directions!

These ladies are from London and either still work in the NHS do did so until recently. No idea what this is about but it's good on headphones.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Evening Weekenders, in for a sober weekend and thank you, Mags!

It is great to hear that you are home, Mantalady, and still all I can say is that I admire you for keeping such a positive outlook, though I understand what you post here doesn’t necessarily include everything that might be going on. No doubt it will serve you well and best wishes.

In a good way I enjoyed the the comment of “…at least not drinking like a fish” or something like that. I think it was FK who said that.

I am watching darts championship on television, believe it or not. It reminds me of my school/study days when that was how I would take a break before sitting down for an hour or two again.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

And (this is for Sao and Robbie and perhaps Mags), I see in the New Zealand / England test match at Headingley, Jonny Bairstow scored a century today. I always admired him as an incredibly devastating batsman, even if not that much appreciated when we played against England.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:31 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

That was worried14 who said there's no reason to drink like a fish. Which of course I do agree with.

Manta Glad your treatments are working! Keep positive. Don't let others bring you down.
Thanks free you are too kind.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:55 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

MantaLady, pleased you’re home and good news from your oncologist. Sorry your mum flipped out and left you. Good work on not drinking love.

CaptainHaddock I used to enjoy cricket many moons ago but haven’t watched for ages.

CBS gorgeous pic of Dali.

Old 06-24-2022, 12:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

^
Mags, Captain, I'm watching cricket at the moment. I quite enjoy watching the T20 Blast games which are on every Friday during the summer. It's limited overs cricket, 20 overs per side, so it is quite fast paced. I was going to go for a walk tonight but we keep having downpours so I'm staying in instead.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Goodnight everyone xx