Sobriety-A Much Better Rush - Weekenders 17-20 June 2022

Old 06-18-2022, 06:26 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Fathers Day to all who celebrate it this weekend

D
Old 06-18-2022, 11:34 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Happy Father's day! End of 31 weeks for me. Good night from Seattle.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:45 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning all, happy Fathers Day and Happy Birthday Marty (MLD51)

Torrential rain thunder and lightning last night - the full orchestra. All finished now but much cooler than of late. Probably a good thing as little rain is forecast for the rest of the month.

I hope everyone made it through Saturday without picking up.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:11 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Doing well, I hope you are too.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:30 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Marty!
Old 06-19-2022, 05:23 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday MLD!
Happy Father's Day to our SR Dads.
And let's not forget Juneteenth today.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:08 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

happy father's day!

Attached Images
Old 06-19-2022, 11:12 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Happy Father's Day. This has been a sucky week for me. I was scammed out of $6000 on Thursday. Never give information out over the phone!!

What happened is that I received a text asking if I just tried to make a $742 purchase at a Walmart in Texas. I responded no. I'm in Utah. A second text then said "we will contact you". This was the scammer, but it seemed so realistic with the previous text message about fraud that had been sent. The scammer tells me how they are going to cancel my debit card and send me a new one. He then asks me to read a code off of my phone. I stupidly did. Again, the scammer was saying all the right things and it seemed so realistic. The code allowed them access to my account.

Long story short - they kept me on the phone long enough to wire transfer $6k out of my bank account. Most likely I will be out of this money because I'm considered as being "complicit". Uggh. I'll know for sure at the end of the week.

I didn't drink! Just as important, I didn't smoke. I've been smoke free since January 1st. This is a valuable lesson for you guys. Never ever give out info no matter how realistic it sounds. Always call the bank or whoever back. Companies like cable companies will call asking you to update your payment methods. Call back. There are all sorts of scams out there.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:33 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

That's dreadful RunningScared. Hopefully your bank will refund you the money.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:42 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Sober Sunday Greetings!

We're back from a Camping Soiree up at Flaming Gorge Reservoir on the Utah - Wyoming State Line. Temps were reasonably cool @ ~7,000' [2,135 Mtrs], but a couple of 90 F [32 C] Degree Days did us in. So, we returned a Day early. No biggie. We went back to a Campground I'd been at prior while solo. It was surprisingly deserted, and we made pals with a superb, Dog-owning Campground Host. $6.50/Night with my Federal Lands Lifetime Geezer Pass, and surrounds to die for. See the Cliffs adjacent in the Pic taken from our Campsite. This 17 Mile [27 Km] Geological Loop contains all kinda Fossils and even Shoreline Dunes [now wavy Rocks].

My Trailer Solar Power System-On-Steroids finally got a good workout, and performed to spec. Ran the Microwave to reheat the essential Coffee, and Meals. The Toaster Oven. Da Wife's Blow Dryer. And, Electric Curlers. You name it. No sparks or fires, so all went well. I managed to eek out a Cellphone Tower Helen Gone up on a Mountain using my trick Amp and external Antenna, so my Serenity-inducing Music was always steaming .A Camping 'must' for me.

Re: the fine Theme this Weekend[er]. An unseen Road Hazard blew out one of four Trailer Tires on a 102 F [39 C] Degree Day down on the Highway. Line-of-sight from our House. Some Teens in a Car roaring by pointed out their Window to alert me to 'something'. The Steel Belted Tire wrapped itself around the Axle. This was good. Tire shreds are known to destroy Trailer Floors and, say, the Kitchen Plumbing above. Often, the remaining Tire blows from overload because it can't alone handle the Axle weight on that same side. This didn't happen. The new Jack I had wouldn't lift the Frame high enough. Had to dig out the Dirt. A few other CF complications to deal with while tired, and hungry. I got a new Tire installed yesterday under Warranty. A Pro had to cut off blown Tire shreds with a Power Grinder. Stinky! The kicker was that this *very* significant challenge went well, and quite differently, thanks to Sobriety. The wrong move, or not thinking through consequences, and I'd be trapped under a ~7,000 lb. [3,182 Kg.] Trailer Axle until the Coroner showed up. Them's the stakes in such situations, and I much prefer The Clear Thinking Life.

Thanks, Mags!

Only 50 Years ago...

'Highway Star' ~ Deep Purple ~ Live

Old 06-19-2022, 11:50 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

It sounds like you had a good camping trip MesaMan. Thankfully you were able to sort out the blown tyre. Those temperatures are far too hot for me though.
Old 06-19-2022, 12:13 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I just bought this....pre-ordered it; it comes out July 1....and I wanted to share. s

"In this unforgettable psychological thriller, the dark is a terrifying mystery for a woman on the edge.

Seven hard-won months into her sobriety, sociology professor Maris Heilman has her first blackout. She chalks it up to exhaustion, though she fears that her husband and daughter will suspect she’s drinking again. Whatever their cause, the glitches start becoming more frequent. Sometimes minutes, sometimes longer, but always leaving Maris with the same disorienting question: Where have I been?"

Old 06-19-2022, 01:39 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

RunningScared, I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope your bank may be able to help in some way.

Suze, that looks like an interesting book.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:15 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fingers crossed for you with your bank RunningScared. Scammers are vile. Well done on not drinking.

Mesa i'm glad all was OK in the end. Punctures in towed vehicles are dodgy because the driver is often not aware until too late.

Sounds good Venuscat.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:52 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Oh no RunningScared that’s just awful I hope the bank is able to fix it and retrieve your money for you!
Old 06-19-2022, 04:00 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Yikes RunningScared!! That is horrible. I hope the bank can figure things out.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:07 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry RunningScared - that blows.

happy Juneteenth as well - thanks Leshar

D
Old 06-19-2022, 06:40 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

RS, so sorry that happened. That sucks.

Happy birthday Marty 🎉🎊🎏🎁

The ever evolving and rapid climate change was ever so evident along the walls of the Grand Canyon when we had out float trip in April. Arizona used to be covered by an OCEAN!

And here in the US, a mere 10,000 years ago (spit in in Earth Time), where I’m sitting at this very moment was covered by glaciers, as were the areas of the State of Michigan, That climate change, and Earth moving glaciers gouged some of the biggest fresh water lakes on our planet.

And, some Minnesotans have bumper stickers prominently displayed in the winter where it gets to -30C for the Highs “Minnesotans for global warming 🥶🥶🥶”

Glad the stitches are out Mags, and you have moved onto Episode 2, Season 2 of Mags Hand surgery……

Grateful SR has a thread dedicated to counting days, for those of us who like to announce our days sober…..

Glad to see everyone, Mesa man, glad it worked out ok…..how scary 😳😬🥴

Old 06-19-2022, 09:17 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

RunningScared, sorry this has happened to you. I despise scammers and report any scam text or emails I receive. I hope you can get your money back.

MesaMan, pleased you all had a good holiday. Your solar power sounds great. Pleased you’re all safe from the tyre incident too.

Free, your words gave me a chuckle. Glad the stitches are out Mags, and you have moved onto Episode 2, Season 2 of Mags Hand surgery……

Had a hectic day yesterday. I don’t do hectic so much nowadays. Was at mum-in-law’s (who has Alzheimer’s) most of the day and my brain was a bit frazzled. I went to lay down for a bit to have a cat nap when I got home and I woke up not long ago..fully clothed.

Love to all Weekenders. It’s a great feeling getting through the weekend sober. We’re here all week too if you want to hang about with us. xxxx

Old 06-19-2022, 10:46 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Lovely morning here - which is a bit annoying as it is a working Monday and the weekend weather wasn't up to much. Rail strike tomorrow so it will be a reduced service today. There is very limited parking where I work so I will have to walk each way tomorrow like I did during lockdown.