Notices

Day 1 (hopefully the numbers will increase!)

Old 06-07-2022, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 (hopefully the numbers will increase!)

Hi everyone hope you are all well.

So it's coming to the end of Day 1 again and thankfully I managed to find some zopiclone I was prescribed a while back to help me sleep.

I've just had a 5-6 day binge with a friend and the physical and mental withdrawal symptoms are absolutely crushig right now. I really hope I can sleep and really hope I'll feel just a few percent better tomorrow because the big worry is I've pushed it too far this time.

I have a doctor's appointment later in the week for tests (doctor knows about my drinking) for something that could be related to alcohol but could be something more "serious" (as if there could be anything more serious for us!), so this is the wake up call I needed.

Anyway just wanted to say Hi! Also, any tips on displacement activities would be appreciated. (ie. Activities to take your mind off the worries and pain) Preferably ones that don't involve being around loads of people as this is pretty triggering for me ATM. 👍
​​​​
Old 06-07-2022, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome londonguy

For me, the key was reading and posting here - this community helped me get through that difficult first month.
It’s fine to keep busy but it doesn’t hurt to build up a support framework and ready yourself for some cravings either.

Other than that do whatever occupies you - for some thats hobbies, or books, or Tv or video games or sports…for others work - just don’t drink

D
Old 06-07-2022, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome londonguy

For me, the key was reading and posting here - this community helped me get through that difficult first month.
It’s fine to keep busy but it doesn’t hurt to build up a support framework and ready yourself for some cravings either.

Other than that do whatever occupies you - for some thats hobbies, or books, or Tv or video games or sports…for others work - just don’t drink

D
Thanks D. Thankfully I really enjoy my work so that has pretty much saved me really as my drinking was mainly in the evenings. I've also been doing long country walks which help. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Londonguy!

Good for you for getting through Day 1. I have found long walks to be so important to me. I began walking to distract myself from drinking, and found so many benefits. It's still something I enjoy daily.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you joined us, Londonguy. This is a wonderful place for friendship & encouragement. We all understand what you're going through like no one else can.
I found that reading & posting here helped to distract me & give me strength. I walked too - nice, brisk ones - there was quite a bit of anxiety & I was fidgety in the early days. It gets better, we promise.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi fellow Londoner, when you say displacement activities, that’s something that needs doing every day, i.e. a lifestyle change. I’ve grown out of this brit thing of alcohol with everything. It’s so boring, and there’s way better stuff out there to do. I went from being a dull middle aged fat guy to a very average triathlete, but with that came a whole new world. I still keep in touch with my drinking buddies (known them 30+ years), but they all look worse for wear now and have no interests or hobbies except watching football in the pub, yawn! I think you know you need something more active that doesn’t really work alongside alcohol.

It sounds like you’ve crossed the line into alcohol dependency unfortunately. That means the only option is to quit 100%, which took me a long time to come to terms with. I’m now 3+ years sober, but if I had a drink now (and I do get cravings sometimes), I’d undo any good work and be drinking daily within weeks.

Well done on seeing your GP. Before you go, calculate how much you drink on a weekly basis and have a figure in mind. The GP will ask this, and they get fed up of vague answers, and are more likely to help if you can confidently say you drink X units a week. Drinkers get all sorts of aches and pains for various reasons. You’ll probably have a blood test to make sure your liver is OK, but don’t do what I am others have done in the past and get the all clear and continue to drink afterwards. It’s such a boring and wasteful thing to do, and I wish (at age 52), I’d quit 15 years ago.

Good luck with the GP. I wish I could say withdrawing from alcohol wasn’t unpleasant, but this literally lasts two or three weeks and you start feeling normal again.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome Londonguy

On our level of drinking, everything gets worse if we don’t act on it. And it sounds like you may be ready to give it a go.
For a while I told myself I couldn’t drink but found when I changed my mindset to ‘I don’t drink’ it was more acceptable and easier for me. Though initially I couldn’t think of never having another drink again. Now it’s simple.

I had many jobs to catch up with that I’d neglected at home and going walking round the local woods helped me.

All the best, you can do this and the support here at SR from like-minded people is great. They ‘get you’ because they’ve been down the same road, in the same footfalls at one time. You’re in good company.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your kind messages. Almost done with day 2!
Old 06-08-2022, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Day 2 - wonderful news, Londonguy.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi London Guy - great news on day 2!
I don't know how many times you have tried to quit, for myself it's been many times over decades, my biggest downfall was stopping for a few days and then rewarding myself by starting again.
I have now learned that stopping drinking IS the reward! I feel so much better for it, have more energy, creativity, ability to focus and so much more.
Good work, keep it up!
Old 06-21-2022, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oops

So it's Day 1 again and feeling hideous after a 4 day binge. I had a fibroscan on my liver and luckily it was just a bit fatty but I went straight down the pub to celebrate. The nurse was very knowledgeable and gave me some advice: cut down by one drink a day and don't beat yourself up about slip ups.

Really struggling with withdrawal today I feel like I've been hit by a train and everything aches. Been pacing around, pulse racing, and got the sweats. Any advice on coping tactics? Hypochondria going through the roof.

Hope you guys are well.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not sure what there is to celebrate about having a fatty liver.
But I understand how addiction works so won't go on about that.

When I 1st quit my coping tactic was SR. Reading, posting, venting, learning about what I was feeling and being reassured it would not always be this hard.

2.5 years later it is easy to stay sober. Life isn't always easy but it is much better sober.

Give up the booze and come join the Good Life.
Old 06-21-2022, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholics find it almost impossible to cut back on their drinking. It's much easier to stop altogether and begin to heal and recover.

I hope this Day 1 is your last.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi LG,
. Giving up one drink a day when you are showing signs of a fatty liver sounds like poor advice from a medical professional.
You know yourself better than the nurse does.
I hope that you give it serious thought and stick with this forum.
Btw there is a sticky on this site with a brainstormed list of things to do when bored
Old 06-21-2022, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

I think she was trying to say that some people have success tapering down, but I'm aware that this isn't possible for all. Think she was trying to say any reduction in drinking is better than none.

And yes it is mad me 'celebrating' doing damage to myself. I guess I was just happy that things weren't horrendous, but yes I'm aware that this can't continue.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

LG,
. I know what it's like.
I had the same scan a few yrs ok,
Then was happy so not too bad.
celebrated too.
A month ago I had a colonoscopy that I was worried about.
Just one polyp? And you say it's non cancerous??
Yippee! Crack out the wine!
which I did. But once again felt like sh*t.
If I'm serious about my health and quality of life, I gotta get a grip.
I'm in the new stages of working on sobriety too.
We gotta keep pushing​​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Old 06-21-2022, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, Londonguy!
Old 06-21-2022, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

London - I did things like that a few times in the early days of trying to get sober. In my case, it actually served to make me more determined. I was so disgusted & frustrated. I had all the proof I needed that I'd never be a social drinker - I just wanted to get on with it & begin to heal. Glad you are back with new resolve.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi LG - great advice from people. Fatty liver? that is the universe telling you to stop drinking before its too late.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All I can say is those sucky first days are well worth it in the end.