Notices

Advice for Newbies

Old 06-05-2022, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for Newbies

So you're new here. You're thinking about quitting or you want to quit. Good for you! You can do something today, right now, that will help your future self to stay on track. Just create a list of reasons why you shouldn't take that first drink and post it to the forum. You know the answers. They are the reasons you are here in the first place. Write them down. As many as you can think of. Take your time and really think about it. And this is important... be brutally honest with yourself. Although all of us will probably be able to identify with most of your reasons, this list is specific to you and your situation. Revisit the post as you begin your journey. You will need strong encouragement and this will help you as you get started.

But here's the thing. 6 months, a year, 2 years or more from now you will get the idea in your head that you can start to drink socially again. Your AV will be telling you all kinds of crap to get you to start again, and you'll believe it. When that happens, go back and find that post about the reasons you quit. It's easy to find by using the "My Posts" dropdown at the top of the page. Reading your own words from the past when you were at your lowest of lows will give you the common sense you'll need to stay sober. It's a difficult journey, but it's worth it. Good Luck!

Old 06-05-2022, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goose333 View Post
You can do something today, right now, that will help your future self to stay on track. Just create a list of reasons why you shouldn't take that first drink and post it to the forum. You know the answers.
We do know a lot of answers about ourselves intuitively, even if we don't want to admit it. And they are just as true 6 months from now as they were before we stopped.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very good advice.
One thing Id like to add is that for years I was never 100% honest with myself.
At any given time at the height of a binge when I was done and wanted to get sober, I truly did want to get sober but I could never commit to the idea of that being forever. In the back of my mind I knew Id get a few months under my belt and then start drinking again because I thought I could moderate or be normal. I was always stubborn that I could somehow succeed at moderation, but I couldnt and I cannot. I still have problems fully committing to that concept if Im honest.