Notices

Day one

Old 06-05-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Primativo View Post
I also have to Echo DriGuy's words. I did 4 months once, and relapsed. I felt that if I could get sober "so easily" (it really wasn't easy at all of course), then I could easily drink again and then quit again if I wasn't "cured". That was just under four years ago. I haven't made it to 4 months since. A relapse should not be under estimated. It isn't so simple as just getting back on the wagon, because when you reawaken the beast, the cravings are back in full force, and you can easily find that it takes a year just to be able to get back to even a week sober again. That said, just because it took me so long, it didn't mean it will for everyone and you can make this last your last relapse ever. I just went back to being a drinker and whilst I knew deep down I wanted and needed to quit drinking, I delayed it...I thought I could get away with being a drinker for a bit longer. Until of course the consequences started getting so bad that it got to the point where I wanted to quit more than I wanted to drink, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, drinking was bringing bad things to all elements of my life and to be honest, I didn't enjoy drinking anymore in al honesty, it made me feel ill.

I am now more determined than ever not to slip and make the same mistake again.
Thank you so much, Primativo, for taking the time to share that with me. I don't want that to happen to me. Before I quit drinking in February, I was calling in sick to work too often and was miserable. Drinking had quit being fun for quite awhile...only on rare occasion can I say I had fun. Instead it had become a series of binges that sometimes lasted a week at a time. I hope I will remember that. I'm going to continue with AA and do everything my sponsor tells me to do. This is how I got sober before. I used to cringe at the thought of going to AA meetings but I have now found that it works.
Old 06-05-2022, 05:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I’m glad that you’re back on track Clarity

D
Thank you so much, Dee! Im very happy to be sober today!
Old 06-05-2022, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
It's good you came back so quickly- be very aware that what DriGuy says is true, though. I've done the same and didn't come back for over a year. That year was easily the worst one of my life.

Do the work and don't drink, you can do it.
Thank you so much, Viking! I going to heed all of the warnings you guys have given me! I really am happier sober...even on my worst days. I going to do everything my sponsor tells me to do and trust the program!
Old 06-06-2022, 04:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clarity51 View Post
Thank you, Driguy! That very thing crossed my mind. Will I drink again...thinking I can just hop right back into sobriety and start again? I hope and pray I won't think that! I really like being sober but it is still new. I'm still trying to find out who I am now and how to deal with life without drinking for release. But I am grateful for today... that I am sober.
We can control whether we drink or not.
You Know you can't drink alcohol without consequences.
Any thought to the contrary is the AV and needs to be dismissed immediately.
No need for wishing and praying just action.

Without alcohol we gain the Clarity we need to find out who we really are. I am betting that person is just fine. I bet that person doesnt even like alcohol.
It takes time. Lots of time for some but it is worth the journey.

I'm over 2 years sober and still finding things about myself. Don't be discouraged by that as during those 2 years I have made many great discoveries about myself and the gifts sobriety brings keep coming but this is a journey not a destination. We are never truly finished improving ourselves and our lives IMO.

While we are drinking this is just not possible. We don't possess the Clarity needed to grow and see our true selves.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Clarity, how are you doing?