Notices

A bit about me

Old 06-06-2022, 03:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
You can watch your life fall apart, and watch your sickness progress and still keep on drinking. It's like watching someone else's nightmare.
How horrifyingly accurate this is. I want to add that, paradoxically, one continues to drink to find solace in the ongoing saga of "woe is me". The drunken mind finds an excuse to drink, to relieve the pain that was actually caused by the alcohol in the first place. Insanity in full flight.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

LOL. There were rules???

You're doing GREAT, Alex- day three is a good place to be- keep on going- it gets better.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning, the start of day 4 for me. Its a lovely morning here so hopefully get some gardening done later. Although sunny weather is a trigger for me, an excuse to open a drink and sit outside. I have bought myself some fancy lemonade and berries instead though.
I am shattered today though and my head is banging, not sure if it's to do with no alcohol or being woken in the night by a baby!
Have a good day everyone
Old 06-07-2022, 04:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome Alex.
Reading, learning, posting at SR- daily and meetings have been the backbone of my recovery. Join some of the threads- get involved.
Again, welcome.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You totally sound a lot like me buddy. From the kids, to finally seeing that I was drinking just to get drunk and at some point it's impossible to justify to anyone why you choose to drink so much. I never had any solid reason for why I drank so much other than the fact I loved it, until I didn't. I think it's amazing that you realize it's an issue for you at 33, and now would be an amazing time to remove it from your life. I am 37 and was struggling at your same age and only now have 5 months under my belt, which I never imagined was possible. What really was a tough hurdle for me is something you mentioned, we are not boring if we don't drink. I honestly think it was the alcoholic voice in my head telling me that I can't possibly be fun if I am not drinking, in fact from everyone close to me it was the opposite. My wife told me the other day that I wasn't as present when I was drinking, so clearly I was the only one who thought I was any fun haha. In any case, I will stop rambling. You got this!!! Do it for yourself, do it for your kids, your wife and think of all the money you literally are pi**ing away.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jagrnaut View Post
You totally sound a lot like me buddy. From the kids, to finally seeing that I was drinking just to get drunk and at some point it's impossible to justify to anyone why you choose to drink so much. I never had any solid reason for why I drank so much other than the fact I loved it, until I didn't. I think it's amazing that you realize it's an issue for you at 33, and now would be an amazing time to remove it from your life. I am 37 and was struggling at your same age and only now have 5 months under my belt, which I never imagined was possible. What really was a tough hurdle for me is something you mentioned, we are not boring if we don't drink. I honestly think it was the alcoholic voice in my head telling me that I can't possibly be fun if I am not drinking, in fact from everyone close to me it was the opposite. My wife told me the other day that I wasn't as present when I was drinking, so clearly I was the only one who thought I was any fun haha. In any case, I will stop rambling. You got this!!! Do it for yourself, do it for your kids, your wife and think of all the money you literally are pi**ing away.
For years i thought drinking made me more social and more fun. When in reality it just made me kind of annoying. I just didn't really see it until i got sober.

Also, i've been clean for 3 weeks now and saved over $300. It's nice to see that and i'm going to save all the money from not drinking and buy something nice.