Notices

Craving to drink

Old 05-21-2022, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving to drink

Today, I am craving a drink. I’ve been keeping myself busy all day but now the craving is really kicking in. My mind is telling me “hard seltzers won’t cause any damage…it’ll be relaxing…just get a six pack.” My body automatically feels embarrassed and sick,

I KNOW better but I still think I can be a “normal” drinker. Trying to stay strong today.
Old 05-21-2022, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's a LIE! You know it's all a lie. We cannot be normal drinkers. Don't fall for the lie. Say out loud: NOT AN OPTION!! Find more to do. Cravings don't last that long. Eat a big bowl of ice cream. By the the time you're finished, the craving will be gone. Be strong.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a good link for help TA

D
Old 05-21-2022, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Play the tape forward and remember how you will feel the next morning, disappointed and ashamed in yourself..is it worth it?

We already know it is not!

Stay strong.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, one drink was too many, and a 12-pack was never enough. Besides, I tried that once several years ago…Big mistake! Felt worse withdrawals than I’ve ever had…and I fear it will repeat if I fell into that trap of thinking I could moderate again.

No way!
Old 05-21-2022, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

TA, Our brains lie to us about being able to drink like a normal person would. We can't. Good for you for working on getting through this.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Takeaction, as William Porter in Alcohol Explained 2 writes a craving is (paraphrased) indulging in a fantasy about the positives of how great a drink would be without including all the negatives. Like the regret we would have, the shame we would feel, the increased anxiety, the messed up sleep, the difficulty in us getting back to sobriety, etc, etc. All of this for a little time spent under the influence of a mind altering substance that we have decided from bitter experience and careful sober thought is not worth that cost.

And as Suki said, the craving will pass quickly if we stick it out.

You gain much more by sticking to your decision not to drink than by giving in. You can do this!
Old 05-21-2022, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had some drinking desires today, a couple of wouldn't it be nice to get drunk thoughts, but of course ignoring the negatives, which I quickly reminded myself of. I then jump on twitter and many on my feed are posting photos of their beers and cocktails etc and saying to each other 'cheers, looking forward to getting hammered tonight'. It is a little bit triggering for a brief second when I see the images, but then I quickly say to myself, 'well good for them, but I can't'.

Anyway these feelings are just thoughts, I don't have to act on them. When these drinking thoughts come at me, I just let them go on by, I don't hold on to them, and they quickly disappear again.

Day 27 done today. I won't drink tomorrow either. I am good, I am not struggling, I love this new life.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your mileage may vary, but for me, cravings didn't last long. Therefore, distraction was extremely effective. Take a walk, eat something, start a project, email a friend, occupy your mind somehow. After a few minutes, the feeling passes and you can continue with your sober life.

Another thing that helped me was to pause and think what it was that I was actually craving. When I was drinking, I would drink to the point of being drunk, and keep it up until basically passing out at bedtime. As dysfunctional as that was, that was what I was craving. I never craved "a sip of wine with dinner" or "a beer." The craving was more about wanting the experience of drinking and continuing all the way until falling asleep drunk.

So, being honest with myself about what I was craving helps me avoid drinking... because honestly, I couldn't really care less about just one hard seltzer or one beer. This is my version of playing the tape forward. I hope there's something in here that you can use.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

To achieve continuous sobriety and recovery is to continue
to listen and learn how those who have and are still achieving
this success each and every day. On a continuous basis.

From the very beginning 31 yrs ago when I entered recovery,
I had folks in rehab teach me about my addiction and a program
of recovery to use as a guideline to living sober each and every
day moving forward.

They explained to me that if once we returned home and to
everyday life, that if I still had a thought that I could do some
control drinking, then I would. So, it was important to squash
any thoughts i could do that, which i finally realized I couldnt
nor ever could and accept it, then i could begin to achieve
sucess in sobriety, which I still am to this day.

Through out the years, with changes along the way, I havent
found it necessary to pick up a drink and have my misery that
comes with addiction refunded back to me.

Once we put that last drink down and say no more, then
we never have to pick it up ever again using a recovery
life as a guideline to achieving continuous sobriety.

Old 05-22-2022, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone 😊

I’m proud to say I didn’t drink. I woke up early and went to dance class 🙌🏼 I cleaned and now I’m off for a massage. Working on truly becoming a healthier and happier me.

Happy Sunday!
Old 05-22-2022, 02:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 05-23-2022, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job, Takeaction!