Notices

Dangerous to take sobriety for granted...

Old 05-20-2022, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dangerous to take sobriety for granted...

Last night I went to an music concert at our local church and despite the fact there does not need to be wine at this event, there was yet again wine. Wow eveyone was in such a great mood and drinking and chatting and several people said have a glass of wine. It was a great atmosphere , I could literally see the wine sloshing in the glasses as people were happily, joyfully glugging it back.
For about a minute I felt overwhelmed and almost like I could just join in, why not, just a glass, I have been sober for a year, surely I deserve it - terrifying.
I did not and the urge passed within a few minutes. But I think in the minute I felt the urge had someone pressed a glass into my hand I would have found it very difficult.
Wow - I am very thankful that I have been reminded how near the edge I still am.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is wonderful that you stayed the course and remained sober, Dusty. I am very proud of you.
I do think these types of situations are normal for the process. Its a process. You are doing so very well.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah we always have to be alert, but not alarmed, I think.
Good work DF

D
Old 05-20-2022, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder to be ever vigilant! Congratulations again on a year. I hope you enjoyed the concert.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job DF! Boy, alcohol IS everywhere, sheesh.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a good side of this dusty. You were surprised by your craving. This only happens when sobriety is well-established. Before that, craving is constantly there. At least this helps me. The longer I am sober, the more 'surprised' I get when all of a sudden the urge to take a glass is there. It is a reminder of all what you have achieved. Well done on not caving in
Old 05-20-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll just share that this is exactly how I started drinking again after 18 years. Well, that and a perfect storm of other life events all adding to my own internal collapse/defeat.

I'd also add that it didn't go much better for me on my second drinking "career" than it did on the first one but I did manage to quit again - seven years later...

Well done, dustyfox. Keep doing that.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The AV loses again!
Awesome!

Old 05-20-2022, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Dusty. A good reminder that the AV can arise unexpectedly anytime.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Now we can choose people, places and things in our
own life to support our recovery and not add temptation,
worry, or anything to put what we work so hard to achieve
in danger or jeopardy.

Continue striving and learning new healthy ways to
strengthen your own resolve for continuous sobriety
moving forward. In other words, peace of mind and
less stress.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good work, DustyFox, you got through that unexpected situation and remained sober and steadfast.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Close call - I totally get it. Good job, and thanks for sharing that, Dusty.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Went through something similar during Christmas i was a year in and the atmosphere around me was perfect for that drink, luckily i didn't take it but its scary how it can just appear like that. Im so happy you survived the moment Dustyfox.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good on you Dusty.

Flexing those sober muscles.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi dusty, I think you posted a similar thread where a church, possibly the same one, dished out free booze. I reckon a lot of people would object to this. What about the people driving, etc. When the dust settles, it might be worth having a quiet word and ask why it’s felt necessary to add alcohol into the mix.

Well done by the way
Old 05-20-2022, 03:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes Hodd! Well remembered it was the self same church, they do events there quite a lot and there is no need for wine. I did ask one of the women who was serving the wine, why there was alcohol at an early evening event where children and families were attending. She replied 'It's the priests they like their glasses of wine, and it is their building'!

In the past I would have been over joyed that an event where I wasn't expecting wine, served it, but clearly now, I have a very different view. What can I say! I think there is probably one of the clergy who has a possible problem with alcohol and finds social chit chat very very difficult so I imagine he needs his wine just to be able to mingle. Being on the other side of the fence, or pew, is fascinating , just to see how people can go from being shy and awkward into the most talkative person in the room after a couple of drinks.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi dusty, that’s a slightly disappointing response from that lady. I’m not a churchgoer, but I thought a church was a communal concept and not for the benefit of the priests. In your shoes, I probably wouldn’t have said anything, so you’re braver than me

I think more people than we know struggle with alcohol. A few people probably had stuff to do later that evening, but this fell by the wayside after the two glasses of wine they didn’t really want. I’m sure you weren’t the only one to raise an eyebrow. My parents were churchgoers and would’ve found it bizarre to see wine at such an event. Well done for speaking up

Old 05-21-2022, 05:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yeah, well done for speaking up, I agree.

I think I'd forego any church gatherings with wine. It is bizarre. . .and completely inappropriate.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Apart from communion wine, haha!
I think I must have had a skewed regard for wine/alcohol from a very early age, as I remember asking my mother did men become priests so they could drink wine every day. (Mass).
Well done for asking, Dusty.
Bimini, it sounds like the church building hosts various events, and the events per se may not always have a religious connection. Having said that, I agree that alcohol should not be served at an early evening family event.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just reread my post. I don't mean to imply that we should be ok with communion wine, not at all. Didn't mean to be flippant. Just that at church, a building for religious gatherings, sometimes congregants have the option to sip communion wine. Last time I was at mass, apple juice was offered too.