Notices

Advice needed post addiction

Old 05-18-2022, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice needed post addiction

Hi I'm Brad I've been addicted to opiates for 14 years started when I was 18 I'm now 33, I have been cleaned or just over 4 months And for the 1st time I feel good about it happy no cravings Thoughts or urges I feel young again and free.. My problem is this... I am having a mental block on what to do next I'm currently unemployed Don't have any hobbies Unless I'm spending time with my kid I'm probably on the couch watching TV or sleeping... I know the things I need to do there's just so many I am incapable of I am incapable of picking where to start and acting.. Was wondering if anyone has been through that And could give me some advice And could give me some advice

Thanks a lot
edit; it begN with percocet then oxy and hydros Nd when they became impossible to find fell to fentanyl for past 7 years

Also on methadone and I do smoke the occasional joint or have a beer or 2 with family or friends, also have a prescription for clonazepam and take seroquel for sleep
Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BradtheC - welcome

I moved your thread here for more response. You posted in the chat admin forum, not the chat room itself.

I know several people here who have experience with opiate addiction. I am sure you will hear from them soon.

I think regardless of drug involved, it's important to find support to stay clean and sober and you'll find that here,

D
Old 05-19-2022, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would think of yourself as a salesperson right now. You only have to make one sale and that is getting one company to hire you.

That is sort of the way I looked at it after I got fired. I went to AA meetings and would take a day at the beach here and there. I guess its best to get fired in the summer. I would schedule my day sending out resumes, phone calls with recruiters, even brush up on skills. I was around 10 months and change sober when I got fired and it was right before vacation when I was told. So the first thing I did was drive across the country (America). Then I came back to work to finish up my last 6 weeks or so as per my severance agreement. I was at that pink cloud point where even after just getting fired and having no idea of my future I was able to just enjoy seeing the country.

Its probably a good time to find your purpose and what things you like. Even small things. After getting off substances for a while its getting easier for your brain to produce natural feel good chemicals.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some ideas

If you aren't attending any regular meetings I would. This can help you get on a new, productive routine and there will be others that have gone through this so they can hold you accountable and vice versa. You might think you are on track now but it's only a few months and with that long of an addition it will be easy to slip back if you don't find a good support system and get on a new productive routine. I would make a goal list of things you want to accomplish in the short term. Start with getting an easy job, any job so you will meet new people not connected with your past and it will build your confidence in working again and give you a leg up in searching for a new better job when you are ready. You will feel better mentally and physically when you are working and making your own money. It will be good to get off the couch and out into the world. You can see what you have missed, even little things you have taken for granted or not noticed. Try to reach out to other family members and go over for dinner or go for a walk with them. Tell them that you don't want to get into any deep conversations but just want to be around them and ease yourself in. Good luck! Report back!
Old 05-07-2023, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Abstinence based recovery working a solid recovery program works in my experience 🙏