Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Rummaging through my sober tool box I was shocked to see …..Weekenders 13 - 16 May 2022

Notices

Rummaging through my sober tool box I was shocked to see …..Weekenders 13 - 16 May 2022

Old 05-13-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Well gang, I'm taking my dear dog Chauncey to the vet this afternoon to have him humanely put to sleep. It is a very very hard decision to make, but I had a conversation with his vet this morning and it's clear that he will not get better, and that he is most likely feeling very ill at this point. There's really nothing we can do for him at his age. His kidneys are failing, and there is something very wrong with his lungs (probably cancer). He has good hours here and there, but overall, I can tell he's not doing well. It will only get worse. I want him to go out before he suffers more. I know it's the right thing to do, but I keep having doubts when he looks at me and wags his tail a little. Someone wise told me he's trying to please his pack leader (me) which obscures how bad he feels.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:37 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I think you are doing the right thing love, and I know how incredibly hard this is. s

God bless sweet Chauncey. ❤️❤️
Old 05-13-2022, 10:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Three cheers for Chauncey, it's so hard when they go. Sorry you have to go through this Marty.

Sorry you have picked up Covid Mags, ~ 15,000 new cases yesterday, it's still out there. Fingers crossed yours veers toward the asymptomatic variety.

Sending positive vibes MantaLady.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:39 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty, it’s a hard step to take but it’s for the best for Chauncey. Bless him and the wonderful life he had with you.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, approaching three weeks sober this weekend. I am spending my evening drinking tea and reading the book 'Alcohol Explained', on chapter three so far and I am finding it fantastic. It really resonates.

Sorry to hear about dear Chauncey, bless him and the loving life you have provided for him and for him to you.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:07 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hugs to you, MLD, at this difficult time. You are doing the right thing. I hope you can take all the time you need at your vet's.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

He had a peaceful transition. I was allowed to be with him as long as I needed to. I had pretty much said my goodbyes at home before we left for the vet. I'm home now, taking the day off work, of course. I'm thankful it's not a big deal to do so where I work. It's so weird being here without him. Feels different.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Well, tonight it may (correction: will) be determined, my Penguins will move on to the next bracket of the Stanley Cup. They're playing at home at PPG against the Rangers. New York is hanging in there, but their thread is very thin.....

Same with my favorite Canadian team, Calgary. If they win tonight, they also won the round of 16, about to proceed to the round of 8.

As Calgary is in the Western Conference, and Penguins is in the Eastern.... with my luck, it'll end up Flames vs. Pens in the final. But the Penguins precede the Calgary Flames, so... & well I already said it's a lock the Pens will take the cup this year.

Apologies for too much sports talk.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:58 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Sincere sympathy, MLD51.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
He had a peaceful transition. I was allowed to be with him as long as I needed to. I had pretty much said my goodbyes at home before we left for the vet. I'm home now, taking the day off work, of course. I'm thankful it's not a big deal to do so where I work. It's so weird being here without him. Feels different.
I am so very sorry love. s
May your beautiful Chauncey rest in peace. xx ❤️
Old 05-13-2022, 02:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

That's so heavy MLD, sending thoughts and prayers 🙏🏻
Old 05-13-2022, 02:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Sorry Mags
Old 05-13-2022, 02:45 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm very sorry, MLD. I lost my Charlie on October 27 and I think about him every day.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:18 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, ML - it's a heartbreaking thing to have to do....

I know... as when our family's' last cat came home after my parents had taken him to the vet. Well, the body of him came home. (Cats though, have an incredible survival instinct - He was both blind&deaf. We kept him inside the house or on a leash when outside, but we lost him. Evidently he had been staying in a forest nearby - he came back, three months later. I spotted him as I was walking my dog. Our dog basically identified him as being our cat as he was normally very aggressive towards other cats, not this one - as he knew him)

What bothers me I cried when he came home after being euthanized, but not when my dog died, I didn't shed a tear. Even though I sat at his deathbed, fed him his favorite meal which he seemed to love. Laid him down on a mat the floor, covered him up in a blanket - and finally, watched his eyes roll back, realizing my best friend was gone - I ran off to my parents' house, while my youngest sister was maybe 2 years old (this was a couple decades ago, but I won't forget it) - and told my mom that he may have passed.

.... do you know that feeling when you get sober you get extremely sensitive....?
Old 05-13-2022, 04:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Charlie's death hit me harder than any actual human I've lost. It's been terrible. I have two huge portraits of him in my living room now.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:18 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

double post
Old 05-13-2022, 04:19 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Deepest sympathy Marty, take care

Old 05-13-2022, 04:49 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My good old dog and the Penguins kinda corelates. I chose them when my family was staying at a hotel in the city, and as I was walking him, I spotted a hockey store, selling various kinda merch for various teams.

For some reason the logo kinda reminded me of him so ... I chose them. I still have the T-shirt I bought back when I was 11 or so - the logo has changed a bit since then but the premise still remains; My dog chose my favorite hockey team.

I won't tell you my whole life story so I'll stop here. I'll just say; Let's Go Pens! 15 minutes 'till the 2nd period of the game at PPG Paints Arena - meh, not really that exciting as I know the Pens will win.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry MLD

D
Old 05-13-2022, 05:23 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

2 goals in a minute, NY? Now, you're just insulting my dog, and that's resulted in a 5 on 3. Karma.

Edit: PS. I don't believe in Karma nor "jinxing". Now, this double minor means nothing. Pens will take this. What I do think though, is that those two goals into the minor, shifted the momentum in NY's favor. My Penguins know how to fix it.