Notices

It’s been awhile

Old 05-09-2022, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s been awhile

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted due to not staying sober from alcohol.

Today is day 13 without drinking alcohol. I’m proud of myself for refraining but hate to keep track of the days. I recently got out of a relationship around the same time frame and it’s a constant reminder. The relationship went down the tubes unexpectedly and caused me to drink my heart out. It wasn’t good…I called in from work and really caused damage to my body. I had to stop. I’ve been coping with being sober and mending a broken heart. Mind you I had been drinking everyday for a very long time

I’m just doing my absolute best to stay sober and happy. Each day is new blessing.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back takeaction

There's no requirement to track days if you don't want to - just make sure every day from now on is a sober one

D
Old 05-09-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you, Takeaction. I'm sorry for the painful time you've been through.
Day 13 is wonderful. I'm so glad we know numbing our feelings is unhealthy & damaging. Facing things with a clear head is the only way. Took me a very long time to learn that !

I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good work on your time sober. With time you will feel better, keep going. Glad to have you back!
Old 05-09-2022, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My only advice is to stay sober and practice gratitude every day.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time 🙏
Old 05-09-2022, 11:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you’re back, Take action!
Old 05-09-2022, 11:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 05-10-2022, 01:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Prayers TA.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the kind words.

I know that this too shall pass but man is it hard. It’s hard dealing with sobriety and healing from a break up..sigh. I have to be strong and know that happiness is up to me. I refuse to be hungover writhing in pain inside and out. Once I start drinking again I know that I will cause damage to my soul. Here’s to another sober day.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 14 days. It takes strength & determination to accomplish this - you're doing great.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you, Hevyn 😊It’s been a better day and I’m staying sober.

I’m so thankful to have this forum. There is only so much that your family and friends will understand. Here I can express what it’s really like being an alcoholic, and be understood by others just like me.

During this time I’ve reflected on how much alcohol I was really drinking. I don’t miss the night sweats, hangovers, and blackout nights. I can wake up consciously knowing I didn’t call or text anybody. If I was drinking I would have definitely called my ex by now. Dodged a bullet by quitting drinking.

Staying strong 💪🏻
Old 05-10-2022, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey TA,

I have recently been in the same boat, my last drink was the day after my last relationship ended. Heartache combined with sobering up was incredibly difficult at times but four months down the track the pain isn't nearly as bad. Give time time. It will get better and easier and you will be a stronger person in the long run.

Good luck, Getting sober and making positive changes is the best thing you could do 🙂
Old 05-10-2022, 07:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here's to another sober day, Takeaction! ☀️

Old 05-10-2022, 07:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I quit counting the days. I'd start and I'd stop and start again and stop again and then one day I looked back and realized I'd been stopped for over a year. Congratulations on 13 days. Keep it up.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SouthCoaster View Post
Hey TA,

I have recently been in the same boat, my last drink was the day after my last relationship ended. Heartache combined with sobering up was incredibly difficult at times but four months down the track the pain isn't nearly as bad. Give time time. It will get better and easier and you will be a stronger person in the long run.

Good luck, Getting sober and making positive changes is the best thing you could do 🙂
Welcome aboard, SouthCoaster

D
Old 05-11-2022, 10:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SunCoaster, thank you for sharing your experience. As if one thing isn’t hard enough! It’s been a challenge but at the very least I’m crying sober tears.

I’ve picked up working out again because I suddenly have a TON of free time. Learning how to entertain sober/single me is a new adventure.
It’s amazing how much I wasn’t truly experiencing because I was always drunk. I did this as a form of entertainment.

What did you all do in the beginning of your sobriety to help with this void?
Old 05-11-2022, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TakeAction, I'm glad you're getting through the early days of recovery and your break-up.

I started walking/hiking a lot and it helped me in so many ways. It's something I still do every day.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey TA, hope you are still going strong!

For me, AA was a huge help. I had to swallow my pride and push through anxiety but it was the best thing I've ever done. I understand AA is not for everyone though.

I began going to the gym too. This was great for my mental health and self confidence. Reading alot of recovery based literature too. Also, like Anna said above, taking a long walk too is always helpful.

Anyway, I'm in your corner TA. You CAN do this and look back on this as the beginning of the real you!
Old 05-11-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, it’s amazing how much time you have, especially in the evening. And you can drive anywhere too! For me I exercised, created playlists on Amazon Music, smoked cigars, drank espresso, and played USTA league tennis.