Notices

On serial relapsing

Old 05-07-2022, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On serial relapsing

It's Day 4 for me and my pattern these past few months has been get sober for a few weeks, get drunk for a week. When I'm drinking I don't deny to myself that I'm alcoholic but I tell myself I can pull off being a functional one. Until I wish to stop and the insomnia and anxiety kicks in and then I'm so grateful to get to somewhere like today, a Day 4, where I've slept well for the first time in a while and wake up feeling good. But I know after a few weeks I'll feel battered by emptiness and will be like, 'Well I've got to drink, I can't live like this.' And then after a week of drinking I'll be like, 'Well I've got to be sober, I can't live like this...'

I know it's just garden variety alcoholism but the dichotomy in my head living like this is driving me crazy! Anyway I'm just venting really.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I identify with that a lot. It's crazy isn't it?
If I'm completely honest with myself, I haven't fully been able to grasp the idea of lifelong sobriety. I just cannot accept that idea yet because it seems too big for me. All I can do is focus on the now and the immediate future, which I can handle. I'm much the same in other areas of my life; I've never been one to plan much for the long term future.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To me, I wouldn't call it garden variety, although you may be right. I've always puzzled over binge drinkers that go for months, and then when the addiction would ordinarily be at bay, they jump right in and start the cycle all over again. But this happens so frequently among many that maybe it is garden variety.

Perhaps a better way to look at it as just another form of alcoholic behavior. A guy that I met early on in AA was like that. He had quit so many times and would accumulate months of sobriety singing the praises of recovery at AA meetings, and then he would jump right in to the bottle and stay drunk for months. He was so good at making it through the cravings that I think he became over confident. But one time he went back to drinking, and drank himself to death.

I don't think there is anyway around it. Quitting has to be quit... or you haven't really quit. You just took a break. Relapse is not a part of recovery. Instead, it is one of the most insidious symptoms of alcoholism.

Never having dealt with this sort of situation personally, the only thing I can suggest is just to keep on trying until you find that key to getting it right. As a daily drinker, that's what I did for years before I finally figured it out. Just keep trying until the light comes on.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
To me, I wouldn't call it garden variety, although you may be right. I've always puzzled over binge drinkers that go for months, and then when the addiction would ordinarily be at bay, they jump right in and start the cycle all over again. But this happens so frequently among many that maybe it is garden variety.

Perhaps a better way to look at it as just another form of alcoholic behavior. A guy that I met early on in AA was like that. He had quit so many times and would accumulate months of sobriety singing the praises of recovery at AA meetings, and then he would jump right in to the bottle and stay drunk for months. He was so good at making it through the cravings that I think he became over confident. But one time he went back to drinking, and drank himself to death.

I don't think there is anyway around it. Quitting has to be quit... or you haven't really quit. You just took a break. Relapse is not a part of recovery. Instead, it is one of the most insidious symptoms of alcoholism.

Never having dealt with this sort of situation personally, the only thing I can suggest is just to keep on trying until you find that key to getting it right. As a daily drinker, that's what I did for years before I finally figured it out. Just keep trying until the light comes on.
A big part of it is down to finances to be honest, waiting for dole day, drinking much of it away and then having to get sober for a while. Once upon a time I worked and did drink every day. Although nowadays I also have an obsession to stay slim so then I diet during the abstinent periods, which also helps motivate me, but only up to a point. But yeah it has become an insidious pattern where like you suggested of the guy you knew, you can become overly confident in your ability to make it through the cravings for a while and sometimes think you can just dip in and out like it won't be hugely damaging to your life and psyche each and every time.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what is garden variety alcoholism?
Old 05-07-2022, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Farrier View Post
what is garden variety alcoholism?
It's something they say in AA to suggest all alcoholism is fundamentally the same: the ordinary or the standard (I guess like there are common or garden varieties of some regularly seen species of animal).
Old 05-07-2022, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetrax View Post
When I'm drinking I don't deny to myself that I'm alcoholic but I tell myself I can pull off being a functional one.
Same here. I definitely think it's garden variety. I've known I'm an alcoholic for at least around 15 years, but I still think I can manage it and drink without ALL of the dire consequences. Like we get to pick and choose.

I think I finally figured out what progressive means. A lot of the warnings and stories in recovery circles that I ignored in the past, I can now see the truth there. Some of those things I shrugged off years ago began happening from time to time.

I'm worried now because I don't want to live those horrors. Though at only three weeks sober, I feel like it's been three years. It could be so easy for me to tell myself I'm functional, but people say that's just a stage of alcoholism, not a type.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

But I know after a few weeks I'll feel battered by emptiness and will be like, 'Well I've got to drink, I can't live like this.'
If all you are doing during your sober stretches is resisting the urge to drink and generally feeling miserable about your life, then you are bound to drink again. That's not sobriety, that's not recovery. You've got to work to make those sober periods sustainable. Sobriety is not a punishment. If you feel empty, that is what you have to work on while you are sober, not blame it on being sober.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What Carl says is true for me too—it is along the same lines as what Dee also keeps saying—that you have to build a sober life for yourself, because otherwise if you change little to nothing about your current drinking life, you are bound to go back to it as it feels like a “better fit” to who you are.

That of course isn’t true, but getting through the denial and inertia of letting go of your old identity, habits, and often friends and hangout places is truly hard at first. I used to feel I had lost something valuable as I finally began to embrace my sober life and identity, but as I left my old self further behind I began to finally see how dysfunctional and toxic that life was, and how distorted I had become as it kept progressing in a negative spiral along with my alcoholism.

I might have managed a couple of more years in the “functional” stage, but it was becoming a thinner and thinner facade and I knew that even if I “passed” or awhile longer, after each binge I was sadder, more broken, more resigned to just giving up. I think that’s why people here sometimes have what is intended as a short binge / relapse that then lasts years or for the rest of their lives.

I didn’t want that, and to get to the peace I have now I had to let go I could ever, ever, ever drink safely again.

Even if I could I couldn’t. . .
Old 05-07-2022, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I don't believe one alcoholic is "garden variety," or worse yet, "just another bozo on the bus." That's a self-deprecating thing that confident people say about themselves to try to look humble. But it stabs me in the gut every time I hear it because I am not that confident and have struggled for as long as I can remember with the concept of being just like everyone else, only less so. Like... I'm some kind of loser that can't even rise to the level of garden variety. Each person who struggles with addiction has their own unique story springing from their own unique garden.

That duality is the very essence of addiction, Tetrax. I've never met a drunk or any other drug addict trying to quit that didn't have that dissonance going on. It's maddening and frustrating and the only way I know to get out of that nightmare is to never drink now. Right now, I'm not concerned about tomorrow or even an hour or a minute from now. Right this moment, I don't drink. As long as I keep that up, the tension continues to lessen.

The beauty and horror of this thing is that each of us needs to find what works for us. You can find that if you look hard, Tetrax. But it all starts with deciding you are not going to drink, no matter what.

p.s. "Functioning alcoholic" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing, as Five has discovered. Functioning is just a passage we travel through on the way to nonfunctioning.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tetrax - I sure can relate - that was me exactly for years. My actions led to a very dangerous place. I wish I had quit when I first acknowledged my reckless behavior & lack of control. So much needless damage done - so much harm inflicted on myself and others. I finally got free though. You can too.

Wonderful advice here - priceless help from those who have been there.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Functioning is kind of a vague term. How functioning is any alcoholic on a scale of 1 to 10? I suppose you can say any alcoholic who isn't dead yet is still functioning.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Really interesting thread. I can also relate to it alot.

When I went back to drinking again, I knew deep down I shouldn't have been drinking. How could I? I am an alcoholic. I pretended that I was managing it, that I was functioning, but barely.

I occasionally drank in the morning, I would sometimes drink whilst working from home. If I was due to be in the office, I'd force myself to stop drinking on the Sunday or Monday so that I could get a day or two of recovery in there just to allow myself to get into the office, but as others say, I was clinging on by my finger nails. Binges most weekends, 2, 3 or 4 days.

It's no way to live.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post! So much to learn from this post! 👍
Old 05-10-2022, 10:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
If you feel empty, that is what you have to work on while you are sober
It's Day 7 and I've taken on a part-time job - the first meaningful work in three years - to try and fill the emptiness! Of course the AV has already let me know that I'll be able to afford alcohol now, so I guess it's all out war...
Old 05-10-2022, 12:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Very interesting opening post Tetrax! I have no problems with alcohol myself but I have been addicted to marijuana for a long long time, and it feels the same for me. I’ll be following this thread with interested and I have already picked up on some good advice.

I sincerely hope you can lose that empty feeling. It seems the key to staying sober. For you, and for me as well.

Thanks for starting this topic.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Tetrax,

Good to see you. My perspective if I may:

But I know after a few weeks I'll feel battered by emptiness and will be like, 'Well I've got to drink, I can't live like this.'
This is par for the course I'm afraid. It's partly chemical. You'll have to endure a few months of anhedonia before the sparks of joy start happening. Once you get there, motivation becomes much easier. As they say here, chop wood and carry water, ie stick to a planned daily routine even if it bores you.

Of course the AV has already let me know that I'll be able to afford alcohol now, so I guess it's all out war...
It's really not. Once you have made the decision to stop drinking there's no battle. You take alcohol off the table for good and tell the AV no.

Stay close. Keep trying. All the best. Forwards.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I thought I was functioning, but I really wasn't. Living to the next drink is no life, something that gets pretty clear the longer you don't drink. But the critical thing is realizing that by not drinking you are not giving up anything, you are gaining everything. You are no longer a slave, paying cold hard cash for certain ill health or worse, you can make your own choices and live with them, happily. Change the mindset from giving up alcohol to gaining sobriety and reset your thinking.

Good luck, Tetrax. The new job can be a new start, just decide today that you won't drink, and then keep doing just that, every day. It is completely worth every effort.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
just decide today that you won't drink
Alas too late.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tetrax are you drinking? Maybe we can stop together?