Notices

Struggling

Old 05-06-2022, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Liz

Struggling

Hi, I've read this forum for the last year and I've had some good sober periods, but not at the moment.
I don't want to trigger anyone, and I'm sorry if this isn't allowed, but is there a thread for people who are really struggling to stop their drinking? Like, to the point of desperation?
Old 05-06-2022, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aw, Liz. This whole forum is for you. Struggling is part of the process of quitting. It's hard, it's uncomfortable, it is a complete change of life.

Worth it.

Keep reading, keep posting. Welcome.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Liz, and you are definitely in the right place. I think we have all struggled at times, and I understand your desperation. Alcohol takes everything from us and leaves us feeling hopeless. But, you have reached out and we're here for you. You can get past this point of struggling.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's what the whole forum is for. All of us really struggled to stop, some of us to the point of desperation. I'm one of them. My last days of drinking were not just desperation. They felt like insanity, and that seems desperate to me. There are other threads besides this one, and maybe one of them will strike a chord, but IMO, this thread is as good as any.

I appreciate you desperation. These first flirtations with sobriety can be difficult. You are in new territory with a broken car and without so much as a road map. It takes a while to get your bearings, to grasp that first helpful insight that points in the general direction. Then there's going to be a lot of fumbling, even with what we have to offer you. It's odd, we are here to help, and we can actually do that. But much of this is something you are going to work toward on your own. Not easy at first, but that's only at first. Once you have a few weeks of sobriety under your belt, you have to learn how to stay sober, and a lot of alcoholics fail at that point. So you are likely going to have to adopt some new perspectives, and maybe, just maybe, give up on whatever strategies you are currently using.

Once I got past the initial cravings, I found recovery to be mostly fun, although not all the time, but certainly a hundred times better than being drunk part of the time.

Welcome back to the forum.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers and support...join some threads...it helps
Old 05-10-2022, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Liz

This place is for you and people like you and me - please post as much as you need to, and ask as many questions as you want

SR helped me turn my life around, I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 05-10-2022, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you. Struggling.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Liz - I've struggle for many years. I'm now almost 6 months sober. This forum is a big part of my success. You can do it. We're all here to help.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Liz,
I struggled and tried to stop over and over. I have 8 months sober now and I come here every day. This whole place is for people like us- please ask questions and read, read, read. It really helps.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Desperation. Depression. I am also with you.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Liz

Thank you, I appreciate your words. It's such a tough time trying to stop. It's like it's something genetically engineered into me because I lost my mother a few months ago WAY too young to alcoholism, as she lost her mother to it. So I feel so scared like I want to beat it, but is there any hope when it's so ingrained in my family's past... Sorry.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Liz

It's awful. I hope you are doing better now?
Old 06-13-2022, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There is ALWAYS hope. You can break the pattern 9years.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Liz, alcoholism runs in my family, too. It doesn't mean that you can't change things for yourself. There is always hope. Of course, you need to recover for yourself, but maybe you could keep your mother and grandmother on your mind and show them that you have broken the chain.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really believe that every one has the capacity to get and stay sober Liz - even if its been a family trait
What have you been doing to try and stop drinking?

D
Old 06-13-2022, 04:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Alcoholism also runs in my family, Liz. Despite this, my sister and I are in recovery and have found that sobriety offers a far better way of life.

Sobriety is well worth every effort you make to achieve it.

Stick with it and us. The people at SR truly care.

Have you considered joining a Class her on SR?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html
Old 07-29-2022, 05:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Liz

I went to rehab last year for 2 months. I have a slight handle on it but I am still struggling. God its hard.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good to see you posting again, Liz.

Just take it one day at a time.

Make a plan for how you'll spend your time today. Maybe change the sheets so you can go to bed sober in a clean bed.

You can do it.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 9years View Post
I went to rehab last year for 2 months. I have a slight handle on it but I am still struggling. God its hard.
You can do this. If you were in rehab and sober for 2 months, then you can get sober again. Do not be defeated.

Structure saved my life. I made a plan for the day and stuck with it no matter what. When the thoughts of drinking crept in, I refocused and changed the channel. Kept changing the channel until I went to sleep. Woke up without a hangover and started anew. You can change your life. Believe in yourself.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you, Liz. You can do this!