Notices

Flow In, Flow Out - Weekenders 06 - 09 May 2022

Old 05-09-2022, 03:59 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

My mum, rest her soul, made the best Steak and Kidney pie. yum. Haven't had one in years and years.

Mrs Dragon is a big hockey fan. Naturally the Jets are her team but Boston is the runner up. I don't follow hockey too closely but do catch a period or two.

Happy Monday.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:53 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Primativo, college football (American) is the sport, in my little corner of the globe, by which most people's lives have ebbs and flows. This time of year, it's daily articles regarding recruitment and spring practice. Come Fall, college towns will alternate having 90,000 people or more come to watch a bunch of 20 year olds run around a football field. One of the big local games, when my school and Athensdawg's school plays, is referred to as the world's largest cocktail party for a reason. As part of my sober package, I had to let go of the intensity of those feelings, and the automatic programming of drinking vast amounts of beer while watching the games. Otherwise, I don't think I would be here now, on SR, or even possibly in the land of the living. I'm totally fine at a sports bar to drink tea and eat chicken wings while watching a game.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:41 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Polaroid, I keep thinking you mean real penguins when you mention your dear penguins.
Haha, well.... I might just get a penguin as a pet.

I don't know why no one have them.... why is that?
Old 05-09-2022, 05:54 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Happy Monday, all.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:46 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hello all,
Thanks, Saou.
Least, thinking of you. I know you've got a lot going on.
Mags, I'm sad to read about Dennis Waterman. So young, really. I was a big Minder fan.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:49 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hugs to everyone struggling with *whatever* right now. Seems like something is up with the universe lately.

Manta, I hope you continue to have energy and an appetite, and more good days than bad.

Glad you are feeling better, PJ.

Least, I hope you're feeling better, and that your move goes well. I wish I could move to CA, also! Lots of family history for me there, and I do love it. I got to live there for a year while I was in the Army, and I have visited many times. I don't think it's in the cards for me to move there, but I will if I get the chance.

I think this time of year is a tough one for lots of people concerning sobriety. The shift to warmer weather and more big gatherings (like weddings and barbecues) can be really challenging. Lots of us have associations with summer and alcohol that flare up. I used to, but it's been long enough for me that it has faded. I have navigated 7 sober summers, and it just doesn't phase me anymore. In fact, I think back and remember that it's EXTRA miserable to be drunk and hungover when it's hot. ICK.

Chauncey is still with me. Yesterday he seemed to feel a little better. He ate some, and when my boyfriend came over he was happy and wagging his tail (he LOVES my boyfriend). He was very lethargic this morning, but he did eat a little. I didn't see him drink any water, though. It's just day by day now. If I see that his quality of life isn't there and he goes back to not eating, I will have to do the humane thing.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Aww, MLD, thanks for the update about your dear Chauncey.
I struggle with the summer, not so much because of drinking, more because of seeing happy gatherings of people. I'm pretty lonely. I get out and do stuff on my own but it's difficult. Then I get depressed and that has led to me drinking. Alone. As if that could help. Glad to be with you all.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Chauncey is still with me. Yesterday he seemed to feel a little better. He ate some, and when my boyfriend came over he was happy and wagging his tail (he LOVES my boyfriend).
Careful there... is your dog cheating on you? :S
Old 05-09-2022, 07:33 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
Careful there... is your dog cheating on you? :S
I actually think he might be!

But seriously, it's so sweet how much they like each other. Boyfriend said last night that he'd gladly sleep on a cot next to Chauncey's kennel if it kept him happy in his final days. I think he was mostly serious. BTW, I do not force him to be in a kennel. He feels comfortable and safe in it.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:23 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Glad you’re getting some time to be with Chauncey, it’s a precious time albeit bittersweet x.

Summer is a bit of a challenge for me too as all the neighbours are out in the evenings with a glass of wine chilling and whilst it gets my AV tickling me a bit I know that unlike my neighbours one glass would lead to me still being out at 11pm falling all over the place and being a complete tool!! Not today!! x
Old 05-09-2022, 08:27 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Mrs Dragon is a big hockey fan. Naturally the Jets are her team but Boston is the runner up. I don't follow hockey too closely but do catch a period or two.
The Jets? Are they still in the NHL? The Bruins seem to be doing okay, I guess. 2-2 against the 'Canes so far.

I advice you to watch all 3 periods when watching a hockey game though. Of course, in the Stanley Cup, where OT periods are 20 mins, games can get a little bit too long. As in the first game Pens vs Rangers, which lasted over 5 whole periods - ironic that such a fast paced game can get dragged on for so long.

The Pens won though. Just saying.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:13 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

You might just be right about the Penguins. I'm a Wild fan, but unfortunately, I don't see them getting past this round. I watched last night, and while they have a few really excellent players, they kept getting lazy on defense. That won't cut it if they keep that up.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:15 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Magsie

Marty pleased Chauncey is comfortable and happy.

Old 05-09-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Least, sending prayers, my dear friend.
PJ, ELO sounds perfect to be listening. I'd forgotten how really good they are! Hang in there, love.
I must be still getting over my shot. My mom and I had a nice, relaxing day for Mother's Day. It was kind of nice. We slept in and just had a low key, nice day. I slept a lot and slept all last night. I keep getting more behind on my chores, but I suppose things will square up.
Love and peace to all of you! 💗💟☮💞
Old 05-09-2022, 10:06 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry you're feeling low least, moving is very stressful at the best of times let alone moving a long way. It will be better once you are settled in.

Glad you are feeling better PhoenixJ.

Good luck to the Pittsburgh Penguins!

Glad to have Monday done.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:21 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hugs to you Least xx

Another day done and wasn’t too bad, just hoping that I don’t get kept awake as it seems the next door neighbours are having a birthday party…they are young so it will be lots of people, drinking and substances!

Anyhow, good night from me and take care everyone x
Old 05-09-2022, 02:48 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon Least.

Manta, I hope you can get a decent sleep. One of my neighbours is making an awful noise. Sunderland were playing Sheffield Wednesday in the seond leg of the League 1 Play off semi final and Sunderland won. He's been singing Sunderland songs at the top of his voice for over half an hour and is obviously very drunk. Thankfully my bedroom is at the other side of the house so hopefully he doesn't keep me awake.

PJ, I do like a bit of ELO though I feel that by 1979 they were past their best. My favourite album by them is 'Out Of The Blue'. I also like Jeff Lynne's former band, The Move which he was in with Roy Wood who was also in early ELO. This is The Move's best song. Jeff Lynne had just joined the band but isn't in this video clip. Future ELO drummer Bev Bevan is in the video.

Blackberry Way (a UK number 1 in 1969, also a top 20 Australian hit)

Old 05-09-2022, 02:58 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I love ELO Robbie. They wrote my favourite song ever.

Sorry, there is no good video for this one.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:14 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Love that song! 💗
Old 05-09-2022, 05:00 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I love 'Telephone Line'. There is a video for the song but it's not a great quality as someone has put their user name aross the video. The actual video itself is the one that was shown on the UK chart show Top Of The Pops back in May and June 1977

As I posted, it's a great song. I bought two singles from the 'A New World Record' album, 'Livin' Thing' and 'Rockaria'. I also tried to buy 'Telephone Line' but the twice I went to my local record shop to buy it, it was out of stock so I never got to get it.