Notices

Starting to feel better

Old 05-04-2022, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting to feel better

I’ve been to so many doctors recently and all my tests come back normal which is a relief obviously but I knew something was just not right. I went back to my PCP and had blood work done again and my vitamin D is low! What a relief to know I knew something was off. Started taking Vitamin D 5 days ago and already starting to feel better (less anxiety, depression). I know it takes a while for levels to go up so I don’t know if this is a placebo effect or not but it’s helping!

And I’m 6 months sober this weekend!!

It’s a little early but I wanted to post now because we will be at the beach for Mother’s Day weekend.

Today my son’s preschool had a Mother’s Day lunch for the moms. It was so adorable! I’m so proud of my son and myself! In the past, there were days they had luncheons for us and I was so hungover I could barely enjoy it! One time I completely missed it because I was hungover and forgot! (That was a thanksgiving luncheon when he was only 2). I was heartbroken and ashamed that day. But today I showed up and didn’t have to endure a hangover, think about drinking, or wanting to sleep! I never thought I’d make it out of this addition. You guys along with another forum, AA, my friends and quit lit helped me tremendously! Thank you all and I hope you have a lovely weekend!!
Old 05-04-2022, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jillian - congrats on your upcoming 6 months sober!

The lunch sounds so nice. I, too, sabotaged myself & sometimes even drank before attending things to calm my nerves. I'm so glad we don't live that way anymore.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to hear you are doing well Jillian
congrats on 6 months

D
Old 05-04-2022, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Spectacular job, Jillian! Good on you for being fully present in your son's life again.
Old 05-04-2022, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

6Months is Awesome!

Good Work!
Old 05-04-2022, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jillian, I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. Six months of recovery is great and I'm glad you got to enjoy the Mother's Day lunch. Vitamin D has helped me with my physical and mental health.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

congrats on six months sober!! the school lunch sounds fun.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

All those things helped , even some of the placebo effects , but the badassery of doing was all you , awesome doings and keepago
Old 05-04-2022, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

did you read the article i sent you about gratitude? it might mean more now that you're feeling better.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats!!
Old 05-05-2022, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats, Jillian!!! Happy early Mother's Day!
Old 05-05-2022, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I’ve been to so many doctors recently and all my tests come back normal which is a relief obviously but I knew something was just not right. I went back to my PCP and had blood work done again and my vitamin D is low! What a relief to know I knew something was off. Started taking Vitamin D 5 days ago and already starting to feel better (less anxiety, depression). I know it takes a while for levels to go up so I don’t know if this is a placebo effect or not but it’s helping!
Every once in a while the iron levels in my blood come back low, so I start taking iron pills. I notice a difference in a couple of days, and the next readout is fine. Like you, I've wondered if feeling better is just in my head, or if I'm experiencing an actual change.

Six months of sobriety deserves a congrats. Those early benchmarks are important, and this is from the guy that says measuring time is not as important as measuring quality. Never-the-less, we can actually measure time, while quality (of life) is a subjective guess. You have been strengthening your commitment and resolve, and you don't get to 6 months without that. I had a good feeling about you when you first showed up. But I'm always holding my breath around newcomers until they get some time under their belt. Well done.