Notices

Opiate withdrawal /chronic pain

Old 04-26-2022, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate withdrawal /chronic pain

I am new to this site but not new to addiction. Chronic pain patient tired of living on oxycodone for approximately 10 years. I am on day 5 of cold turkey. Any idea when to start feeling better? Will my body adapt to my pain in time? I'm probably not making much sense. It's been a rough 5 days. Just want to feel again. If I could take them as prescribed I would not be in this position. Thank you for any input.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't have any experience with opiate withdrawal, but I wanted to welcome you to SR. I have read around here that quitting opiates can be pretty harsh. Have you talked to your doctor about it?
Old 04-26-2022, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome. no, I have not because I'm afraid if I'm in too much pain without she will no longer prescribe. Need to try on my own.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you found us. Good work on getting to Day 5. I hope that you start to feel better soon. I wonder if you have a Pain Management Clinic in your area? If so, that would be a place where you could get help in managing your pain.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Perhaps she can taper you off the opiate, or give you something to help with the withdrawals?

If nothing else, please read around the forums to see what others have done. SR is full of very supportive people. A couple of forums you might find especially helpful:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pport-threads/

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

Old 04-26-2022, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you. I do,see pain management and receive steroid injections frequently. I've tried everything else and need to attempt to live without medication. I suspect tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support. Tapering is not an option for me. I have a lack of control. Thank you for the threads to check out.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I see I need to figure out to reply to each individual. Sorry guys, bare with me.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're determined to do this.

Regarding the replies - we're a family here and pretty informal, so don't worry about how you reply. We're all just happy to know you're here and hope that we might be able to help.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tired50

I’ve never used Oxys but there will be responses from those who have.
If you have used for 10 years or so, 5 days is great, but it might take a little longer for you to feel consistently good again.

I hope you will find your pain manageable after that, but first things first I guess - best wishes

D

Old 04-27-2022, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tired50 View Post
Thank you for the welcome. no, I have not because I'm afraid if I'm in too much pain without she will no longer prescribe. Need to try on my own.
Welcome I too am recovering from a prescription opiate addiction. I was prescribed opiates for many years and began to abuse them as a replacement for alcohol which I now understand self medicating.
After many years I was honest about my addiction. They tried tapering which really never works for pill poppers in my opinion. Yes you will be black listed from getting prescription medication but the question is how committed and dedicated you are to recovering. Not telling your doctor because your thinking about the future if you will be in pain. And still get pills. I used to say that to myself but in my head the addiction was saying hey you're tolerance will be down how good will it feel to still be able to get pills if needed. Relapse already in motion. As far as withdrawal your should start feeling better physical by the first week. I had alot of uncontrollable muscle spasms PAWS the mental part for me was the most difficult. It can be done day by day eat well, sleep well and get some exercise. This is just from my personal experience I'm not a doctor. Take care