Notices

The day I pray I never forget, my last day drunk.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

The day I pray I never forget, my last day drunk.

It was 28 years ago today that I took my last drink. I remember it like it was yesterday, what the weather was like, where I was staying, how HORRIBLE I felt mentally, physically and spiritually. Tomorrow 4/27 is the anniversary of when I went from existing, to living. There are no words to describe how grateful I am for everything and everyone in my life. If anyone out there doesn't believe in miracles...here I am, one of Gods own. It still chokes me up every single year.

To the newcomer,
I know it is hard remembering those dark days. I was there often. There were tears, nightmares, sick stomach aches filled with dread and fear, regret, shame, all of that and more. Please know this, it does get better. The memories fade and there is less anxiety with sober time, forgiveness for yourself and self-love will come with work. People will welcome you back and begin to trust you again (some will not, it is a sad part of our disease). The world will seem brighter one day, you will notice that the sky is bluer than you remember etc. Life will get better if we just don't drink. Don't think that life doesn't happen though, there will be trials and sorrow, just like the "normies" feel. It is during those time, when our disease tries to creep back into our lives, and it is most important then, that we DO NOT forget how we felt and where we were on that last day drinking. For when we forget how bad it was, we are in true danger of going right back there. So today is a celebration day for me even though it is not my anniversary day, it is the day that I hit bottom so hard and felt so horribly bad that I knew I never wanted to go there again. I pray I remember that feeling all my life, only today, I can be grateful for it. You will also one day, and you will be telling the newcomer this story to help them get and stay sober, if you just don't use. Thank you all for helping me along this journey.

Peace, Cathy
Old 04-26-2022, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I so needed to read this!!! At only 31 days, I am starting to get squirrley. Thoughts creeping back in... "Just one more time, it will be fine." Obviously it is not fine and I need to stay vigilant. Thank you again!!
Old 04-26-2022, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

i pray i never forget my last drink.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome post, Cathy, and Congratulations.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you, Cathy for your heartfelt post. Very helpful & reassuring.
Congratulations on your miraculous 28 yrs. of healing.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Thank you for this wonderful post. And congratulations on 28 years!

I can also attest to any newcomers who may be feeling the emotional roller coaster of early sobriety that it DOES get better. Especially if you find a program of recovery that works for you, and you work that program. There are many different ways to heal and many different tools you can use, but the key is to find them, use them, and ASK FOR HELP if you need it.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for that awesome post, I’m one day one again but I cannot for get yesterday ever.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you for sharing that Cathy and congrats on 28 years!

D
Old 04-26-2022, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Surly Redhead - I can not remember my last day of drinking but I remember waking up at 4am and thinking I have to stop. Your post is a very welcome reminder of all we have been through to get here. 28 years is fantastic!
Old 04-26-2022, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've always enjoyed your posts Kathy, but had no idea you were 28 years sober.

A joy to read. Thank you.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 28 years sober Cathy and thank you for a wonderful post 🙏
Old 04-26-2022, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for this inspiring post.
Old 04-26-2022, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cathy, I remember reading your story in the Recovery forum and being extremely impressed by your inspirational resilience. So happy for your continued success!
Old 04-26-2022, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I never wanna forget how I felt when I woke up after drinking for two days. I hated myself and wanted to die. I knew I had to stop drinking or I would die. I don't know what was different about that day, but I never again drank.

It took awhile but my life is so much better now. It can be a bumpy ride at first but it gets better.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Cathy!

Yes, ALWAYS remember, and learn to actually live, see, AND feel, the light. 🕯
Old 04-27-2022, 01:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Amazing post Cathy and congrats on 28 years!!

I most definitely will never forget that last night of drinking. I have to remember it as it was the night i nearly destroyed my life. Thank you for the reminder that we must never take our eyes off the ball and must be forever grateful that we are now sober xx
Old 04-27-2022, 01:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations Cathy.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
It was 28 years ago today that I took my last drink. I remember it like it was yesterday, what the weather was like, where I was staying, how HORRIBLE I felt mentally, physically and spiritually. Tomorrow 4/27 is the anniversary of when I went from existing, to living. There are no words to describe how grateful I am for everything and everyone in my life.
First, congratulations. You qualify as an "oldtimer." Great isn't it, not because you have so many years, but because of how much more satisfying life has been for the last 27. Yeah, some days are not as good as others, but it's always good. I had a bad day yesterday, feeling like a group was taking advantage of me and stirring myself up into resentments, while not getting enough sleep the night before because of it. But the day ended wonderfully when I was treated with the utmost respect and friendliness, during what I thought what was going to end in an ugly confrontation. Yeah, I feel like a dope, but I'm so grateful that I didn't approach the final outcome with "guns a-blazing."

As per the thread title, I can't remember my last day drinking. I just remember that period at the end of my drinking and some of the exceptionally surreal episodes in it. I lost the memory of my last night. I don't think it was anything different from most of the nights in the previous year. But I did file my anniversary date, January 3rd, so I could remember my sobriety birthday. My strongest memory of the end were the 5 days of nightmarish cravings after January 3rd that came to an abrupt end when I attended my first AA meeting. While I never bought the program as something that fit my life, I experienced my first glimpse of hope seeing others who had 25 years and more, and with never a regret. Those with less years, were a big help too, and there were several of those. It was that night I realized sobriety was not only possible, but something to embrace with gratitude.

For the new comers, open yourself up. Stay on the lookout for those yet unrealized keys to opening the door to sobriety. They will be surprises, because they are yet unrealized. Be open to yourself. Many of the keys will not come in the form of tips and rules, but through inner realizations and insights as you learn more and have personal insights. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it comes from a very bright place.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats!!
Old 04-27-2022, 06:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations Cathy, on 28 years of sobriety! You are an inspiration to many!