Notices

Day 15 .. Lunch out, drinks invitation looming …

Old 04-25-2022, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15 .. Lunch out, drinks invitation looming …

So today I went to lunch with two friends to my favourite restaurant where I have consumed copious amounts of wine before and had no urge whatsoever to order alcohol - stuck happily to sparkling water. Next week my friend has invited me for a ‘drink’ after work and I have accepted. I feel strong enough and will say in advance I don’t drink. She’s a busy mum who has to get back to her small kids so even in drinking times it would not have the makings of a wild night out… so I think I’m fine.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great going, Ican. Looks like you have a good plan for this outing. One suggestion would be to avoid meeting at a drinks place, just in case.
Maybe, something like a coffee shop? This way she can get back home quickly to take care of her kids as well!
Old 04-25-2022, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations Ican for sticking to sparkling water. Perhaps your meet up next week could similarly involve having something to eat? I find social events that involve food are easier to handle than just sitting in a pub with someone who is drinking. I find it puts a little temptation my way.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ican,

I think if you are on this mindset go for it and have fun.

This is different to how you were talking about potential situations like this in the past, you seem more confident, so ride that wave and build on it!

Happy for you!
Old 04-25-2022, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would ask your friend next week if you could meet up at a coffee place and not a drinks place. less temptation there.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The problem is that in the UK folks simply don’t meet up for coffee in the evening .. so I think I have to keep SR in my pocket and go !
Old 04-25-2022, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love waking up next day sober when alcohol has been available at the table day prior. Nowadays it's not even a sacrifice, I love sitting at the table drinking sparkling water. I feel so cool. Sophisticated, even.

Enjoy your friend's company Ican.

Onwards to happy destiny.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
The problem is that in the UK folks simply don’t meet up for coffee in the evening .. so I think I have to keep SR in my pocket and go !
so break tradition, go to a coffee place in the evening. just because other people don't do it doesn't mean you can't.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ICAN - I get the thing about not doing coffee in the evening in the UK - it does make going out in the evening difficult as almost everywhere is a bar or a pub - I recently went out and chose a little Turkish cafe which was open in the evening we had coffee and baklava - but where ever you chose I hope you enjoy it !
Old 04-25-2022, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dustyfox View Post
ICAN - I get the thing about not doing coffee in the evening in the UK - it does make going out in the evening difficult as almost everywhere is a bar or a pub - I recently went out and chose a little Turkish cafe which was open in the evening we had coffee and baklava - but where ever you chose I hope you enjoy it !
It can depend on where you live too. In my locality if I go to Newcastle there are coffee shops and cafes open until around 8pm. However in the town where I live everything non-alcoholic that isn't a burger place closes by 5.30pm which somewhat limits the choice of where to go.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ican, I found that, for me, early recovery was a time to put my needs first. I couldn't be around alcohol or people drinking alcohol. It didn't mean I would drink at that specific time, but the next day, I'd be out buying wine. I'm glad I gave myself time. I hope you enjoy your outings.