Notices

need words of hope

Old 06-07-2022, 02:59 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Hi John;

Just checking in to see how things are going— did you get your errands run as planned?

I overslept a lab appointment for a blood draw to check on things so have to reschedule that errand, but did manage to make it to the next small town over to enjoy Taco Tuesday, including extra amounts of screaming hot green sauce. So addictive!

I am still moving in granny-low this week, but I finally got spouse in to get a checkup and that totally wore him out. They think it’s possible he could have Mono as some people are getting it post-Covid. Don’t know yet but he sure is tired most of the time these days.

I am marshaling my energy to drive to the farm for a major mowing and mulching expedition in the next day or two. Plus, gonna continue my purge and clean of the farmhouse so I can pivot more quickly should we decide to sell up sooner than later. Also must be done to make needed repairs—that is the stressful part.

I love ❤️ the farm—it was always my dream—but upkeep of two places just may not be possible at this point, yet it ironically is easier to keep it another year so I have more time to get through all the accumulated “stuff” of three generations of my family.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:35 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hi John;

Just checking in to see how things are going— did you get your errands run as planned?

I overslept a lab appointment for a blood draw to check on things so have to reschedule that errand, but did manage to make it to the next small town over to enjoy Taco Tuesday, including extra amounts of screaming hot green sauce. So addictive!

I am still moving in granny-low this week, but I finally got spouse in to get a checkup and that totally wore him out. They think it’s possible he could have Mono as some people are getting it post-Covid. Don’t know yet but he sure is tired most of the time these days.

I am marshaling my energy to drive to the farm for a major mowing and mulching expedition in the next day or two. Plus, gonna continue my purge and clean of the farmhouse so I can pivot more quickly should we decide to sell up sooner than later. Also must be done to make needed repairs—that is the stressful part.

I love ❤️ the farm—it was always my dream—but upkeep of two places just may not be possible at this point, yet it ironically is easier to keep it another year so I have more time to get through all the accumulated “stuff” of three generations of my family.
Managed to get all my errands done. Moving a lot slower now so took me longer then it used to be. I think all the walking did me good cause I feel a lot stronger today. Did the usual laps around the walking path outside my apartment today. Got a few things to do tomorrow but not much. Will increase my walking tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to do some time on the treadmill soon. Pain not too bad. Been able to cut down on pain meds. Chemo Thursday. Not looking forward to it cause not sure how I'll feel after that.
Sorry to hear you might have to give up your farm. Sounds like a tough loss. When I was a kid, we lived in a rural area and loved it. Grew a lot of vegetables, etc. Had a horse and chickens. I was always exploring the woods, catching snakes and rabbits. I think I was a farmboy in a different life. Really miss those days. Sounds like you live in a really nice area!!
Praying you and your husband start feeling better soon. Really feel for you. Life can really suck sometimes. Take care, John
Old 06-07-2022, 08:53 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're able to keep up some physical activity! I have to go to the gym tonight as well.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:58 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Glad you felt stronger today, John……

Hope your protein intake is increasing, and glad pain under control.

Sending positive vibes your chemo goes more smoothly, they’ll know to give you Benadryl beforehand.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:02 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
I'm glad you're able to keep up some physical activity! I have to go to the gym tonight as well.
Really miss the gym. Someday. John
Old 06-08-2022, 11:14 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Got out today to get some things done. A little weaker and shaky today then previous days, but got all my stuff done. Every time I drove somewhere and got out of my car I felt terrible. But I would get mad at myself and forced myself to put one foot in front of the other. Being stubborn sometimes can really come in handy. Just because I have this "issue" doesn't mean I can just sit around and let things go and I'm not going to depend on delivery services to get things done. I'm stronger than that and this "issue" isn't gonna get in my way. Not gonna happen. John
Old 06-08-2022, 11:36 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hey John,

Im so sorry you feel so bad. I’ve had stomach issues (IBS) since I was a child 6/7. A few years ago I started having IBS-C (constipation). It’s really hard to get people to understand how horrible these type of issues can be…but it is not a fun way to live! I understood every word you said.

I finally went to a gastroenterologist that my PCP referred. They did a lot of tests. I went thru a 10 month elimination diet called the FODMAP diet to see which food I couldn’t digest properly. Meds. Uck!

I cried. I dreaded most days, every meal, most waking moments. But going thru the journey it has paid off!! I’ve learned what I can eat and drink. I’m on a medicine that helps tremendously. And those bad, lonely, painful days are mostly in the rear view now. So, don’t give up looking for answers. I really believe if I found mine, yours is out there too.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:45 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say goodnight John—I am glad you are getting things done and I hope you can get back to the gym soon.

How is the eating / weight gain going? You gotta have mass to build muscle

Old 06-09-2022, 03:17 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Just got back from chemo. Got there at 7:30 am and did not leave till 530:pm. Very long day. Saw people coming and going all day. Not sure why I was there so long. I know one reason was because of that problem I had the last time. They had to slow down the IV drip to keep that from happening again. They had 4 IV's going at the same time. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Maybe they are throwing everything at the cancer in order to get a good handle on it. Hope so. VA transportation didn't work out so had to drive myself. It was a little hard but made it. Glad I did a lot of walking this week. Really paid off.
Disappointed I did not gain any weight, since I've been eating more. They put me on a new med that should help in retaining calories, so maybe that will make a difference.
Plan on staying home tomorrow to take a break and regroup. Really had a great week. No complaints. John
Old 06-09-2022, 04:32 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

A day of rest sounds much needed.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:06 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hope all is well after your treatment today. You did have a good week.

I really liked that story you shared. Aren't you from where I am from? I grew up in Lindstrom area if you know where that is. I wasn't on a farm but surrounded by them. Did a lot of that type of work as a kid. You're plan to exercise should release some of that satisfaction feel good like that work used to.

It's beautiful in St. Paul right now.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:45 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Another round of chemo under your belt. Good stuff, John.

Hope that you get some fantastic sleep tonight.

Thinking of you.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:23 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, your resilience is impressive. I'm glad you got through the day and are feeling positive.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:28 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I really think your positive attitude and “can do” approach is working well John, and I am very glad you had a good week. It is too bad the VA transport didn’t work out, but you solved the problem and got yourself there. I do hope they can get it right before your next treatment, however, as I expect you are totally drained afterwords and shouldn’t have to walk through a parking lot and drive yourself home on top of that.

I managed to drive to the farm this early morning, and got started on the mowing. Plus, I bagged and disposed of a car full of trash, and finally moved my giant Norfolk pine tree outside in its huge pot for the summer. That pretty much kicked my butt for the day, though I did do some light sorting and cleaning plus cooked some dinner.

Covid long-haul has me a little down, but certainly not out. I am working hard to keep a positive attitude like you have. I am getting better and I am going to beat these symptoms and get my life fully back. You inspire me to keep going and have a strong focus on my goals.

I have the opposite calorie problem to you, though, and need to cut back on the carbs and get some weight lifting and yoga back in my life. I wish I could send you an extra twenty pounds, but you are going to have to keep eating food you like a lot and gain weight the hard way

Let us know how you are going tomorrow and if you can, maybe eat a little something before bed in case you feel any nausea from the treatment for the next day or two—and sleep well!
Old 06-09-2022, 07:22 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I really think your positive attitude and “can do” approach is working well John, and I am very glad you had a good week. It is too bad the VA transport didn’t work out, but you solved the problem and got yourself there. I do hope they can get it right before your next treatment, however, as I expect you are totally drained afterwords and shouldn’t have to walk through a parking lot and drive yourself home on top of that.

I managed to drive to the farm this early morning, and got started on the mowing. Plus, I bagged and disposed of a car full of trash, and finally moved my giant Norfolk pine tree outside in its huge pot for the summer. That pretty much kicked my butt for the day, though I did do some light sorting and cleaning plus cooked some dinner.

Covid long-haul has me a little down, but certainly not out. I am working hard to keep a positive attitude like you have. I am getting better and I am going to beat these symptoms and get my life fully back. You inspire me to keep going and have a strong focus on my goals.

I have the opposite calorie problem to you, though, and need to cut back on the carbs and get some weight lifting and yoga back in my life. I wish I could send you an extra twenty pounds, but you are going to have to keep eating food you like a lot and gain weight the hard way

Let us know how you are going tomorrow and if you can, maybe eat a little something before bed in case you feel any nausea from the treatment for the next day or two—and sleep well!
Sounds like you had a tougher week then me with all the work you had to do on your farm Sounds like you did a lot of weight lifting already. I got tired just hearing all the stuff you had to do on your farm!!
I had an appointment for the chemo at 7:00 am, but the transport called and said they could not pick me up till 8:30 so had to do it myself. The hospital gave me a form to take to the DMV to get a permit I can use with valet parking. I was told I might get weaker with the Chemo, so I was able to walk there today but maybe no next time. Will set that up next week.
As far as food is concerned; I told a nurse that the food I ate tasted bitter. She told me that was common, and that I'll probably liking food I never liked and not be interested in food I normally eat. Go figure.
Frankly, with all you and your husband have gone through and the strength it has taken for you guys to deal with everything, you are a big inspiration to me!!!! I think we will both see that light at the end of the tunnel, and we will come of this better than before. You go girl. I hope you have a restful evening. John
Old 06-09-2022, 07:32 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Hope all is well after your treatment today. You did have a good week.

I really liked that story you shared. Aren't you from where I am from? I grew up in Lindstrom area if you know where that is. I wasn't on a farm but surrounded by them. Did a lot of that type of work as a kid. You're plan to exercise should release some of that satisfaction feel good like that work used to.

It's beautiful in St. Paul right now.
Yep, lived north of Minneapolis for 23 years. Beautiful State. My family still lives there. Just got tired dealing with the long winters. No more show blowers, black ice and frigid weathers. Grew up pretty much living at the beach in New Jersey. Always wanted that back. Gulf water temperature, 84 degrees. Can't beat that. John
Always imagined being that wrinkled senile old guy that spends his days walking along the beach, talking to himself.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:32 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Glad they went slower with the chemo drips today, and that you had no terrible reaction.

Awful about the transport, I am upset for you to drive back and forth yourself. 😩

Also sending positive vibes for you to put some weight on.

Sweet dreams
Old 06-09-2022, 09:35 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Old 06-10-2022, 12:38 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

John I hope your treatments don't take too much out of you. I hope you get the transportation issue solved.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:28 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Administrator

Continued best wishes John

D