Notices

Day 8 .. Incarnation of definition of insanity !

Old 04-18-2022, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 .. Incarnation of definition of insanity !

This pattern is so familiar … one week sober and I’m utterly exhausted. Too tired to go for a walk and unable to force myself. I did go to bed very late though engrossed by a BBC drama so that doesn’t help either. However, I fought off an urge for cake or biscuits by making a delicious smoothie : fresh pineapple, fresh mango, a banana , oat milk, coconut water and natural yoghurt and that revived me somewhat. But it’s the same old pattern - drink, feel exhausted for days/weeks afterwards, rinse and repeat ! The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result right ? I’m the living proof of that !
Old 04-18-2022, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I think you have to be aware of the pattern to be able to change it. Some of the things you are doing are moving you closer.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a wonderful life available in sobriety 🙏
Old 04-18-2022, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ican,
You are not insane. You have to be tested for that. So unless you have a doctors note.....lol It's hard to get past that desire for a drink. But you made it a week. That is a week of telling alcohol I don't need you. A week of getting your life back to where you want it. It's all about taking it one step at a time. Baby steps if needed. The Smoothie was a great step. Made me want one. You are doing great. You are coming here for support. You are documenting and holding yourself accountable for your actions. Just hang in there. Soon it wont be, what can I do to distract myself from drinking. It will be this is what I am doing today cause I want to do it. Keep being strong.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That’s a good insight Ican, as long as it’s followed by something they breaks the pattern.

Realising the cycle exists is a great beginning, now what’s the plan for ending it?

You got this!
Old 04-18-2022, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you, Ican. As others said - we have to learn our patterns to change them. Write down how you're feeling for future reference.

Great job on the smoothie - you even make those sound spectacular. Have you thought of writing a cookbook? Haha I would buy it
Old 04-18-2022, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nez

You can also become living proof that we have the ability to break the cycle and find recovery and a better way to live. How great is that!!!
Old 04-18-2022, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Look at it this way Ican. You're a week sober. Tired is OK, and smoothies are nice.

Onwards.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here, ICDT and you've had some more great advice in other past threads about how you can protect yourself against the same old patterns leading to the same old result.

You have the power and the knowledge to do things differently this time

D

Old 04-18-2022, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

We have to want to be sober more than we want to drink, etc.... Gotta tip the scale a bit, then we stay stopped one minute at a time. We are worth sobriety!! You are worth sobriety!!

Old 04-18-2022, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The beginnings are real hard. Its the follow through that really makes or breaks the situation.
I had many many urges to drink when I first got sober. Drinking was habitual. I drank over anything and everything.
It took me a very long time to get adjusted to not drinking. To not grab a bottle of wine when my emotions were through the roof for one reason or another, and my emotions were all over the place for more than a year. I was semi- insane for a good year.

I guess what I am trying to say here is:
You can break the pattern. You will get through and you will learn from this. Move through and move forward. Drink a million billion smoothies. Stay close. Post often. Post. Help others. Be brilliantly you. I think you are awesome. I am so happy that you are here and a part of this wonderful community!

Old 04-19-2022, 05:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice in this thread, which I am listening to as well since I am in a similar situation of rinse and repeat and am determined to get out of it so I can't add anything other than what was already said but that smoothie sounds awesome!
Keep posting your cooking adventures!
Old 04-21-2022, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Addiction to booze can be related to addiction to food, cigarettes, meth, sugar, coffee, etc etc.

I learned here it is a lifestyle change. The extra time and energy I have from not drinking goes into my new lifestyle.

This involves extra exercise, entertainment, family time, better work ethic. It was more difficult at first, but now if I were to decide to drink booze, it would be outside of my normal. I have a new normal.

Just like getting my weight down from 230 lbs to 190 lbs. It is a lifestyle not a diet. Skinny people don't eat as much as heavier people. Lifestyle change.

My Mom (RIP) could not change her diet, even on her death bed. She needed junk food to feel happy. Changing her diet might have saved her life or at least let her live longer.

Stopping drinking was the hardest thing i ever did. But, the reward is the best thing I have ever attained.

Addict for life. I could relapse today. Always on guard.

Thanks for the therapy.