Notices

Cabin Fever

Old 04-16-2022, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cabin Fever

Been over 2 weeks since I had a drink. Glad I quit (for the hundreth time), but now Im feeling incredibly bored and like nothing interests me.
I feel as if Im just wasting my life or going through the motions of a boring mundane life. I desperately want to travel to some exotic places, sail the world or something but I feel stuck, trapped. Im in a relationship with someone who doesnt really want any of that, but I cant really leave them for that reason.
Just incredibly frustrated and need to vent a bit.
I usually have a lot of hobbies but right now I feel too suffocated to do anything.

Old 04-16-2022, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Work on 2 plus weeks!

However this is just the beginning of a life long journey. It takes a while to level out from the chaos we created with our drinking.
Keep on keeping on with the knowledge it will get Better.

There will be lows then there will be highs. All part of the process.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang on and start making plans.

It's really common to feel flat after the intense highs and lows brought out with alcohol. When I quit I had to learn to live with my inner thoughts and feelings 24/7 and that is challenging at times.

You're going to figure all this out. Maybe go somewhere new in your area. That always scratches my travel itch.
Old 04-16-2022, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mystery, well done on 2 weeks. If you’ve got these hobbies, that sounds great already. Can you restart some of these or even get some new ones now you’re sober?

As for the travel thing, maybe I’m a bit different, but I don’t see why couples can’t do their own thing at times. To be honest, I don’t get how couples can do the same things all the time, same hobbies, same friends, same everything. I know a lot of people as just couples and I’ve never seen them alone. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I think it’d be better to have a few different interests.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

This is just a phase of recovery. Give time time and keep healing!!
Old 04-16-2022, 05:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Been over 2 weeks since I had a drink. Glad I quit (for the hundreth time), but now Im feeling incredibly bored and like nothing interests me.
I have found that those kind of "funks" always pass. If they don't, it would be a problem.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI Mysteryman. Can you get up and get out? Take some epically long hikes if you are physically able.

It is just an internal malaise that is keeping you from engaging in your hobbies sober?

Might be time to see a doc and talk about depression?

I also think you should talk to your partner about what you are thinking.

Two weeks sober is still early days and this is FAR from the best you will feel. Be patient with yourself.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mysteryman, Congratulations on 2 weeks of sobriety. Your feelings are quite normal for early recovery and it takes some patience to get through this. My suggestion is to try to get outside and take a walk, go for coffee, do something that will help you to feel a bit better. u
Old 04-16-2022, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Been for a walk. Feeling a bit better now.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

I feel as if Im just wasting my life or going through the motions of a boring mundane life.
That was my life when I was drinking.

want to travel to some exotic places, sail the world or something
In recovery, I got off of my barstool and did that.
disclaimer: I didn't do it at 2 weeks (congrats for that) of sobriety though and probably wouldn't rec commend it either, but we can realize our dreams in recovery without alcohol to drag us down!

Old 04-16-2022, 01:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, it’s pretty common to feel that way at 2 weeks.
This is not the best you’re going to feel MM

D
Old 04-16-2022, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mystery. I'm so glad you posted your thoughts.

I felt 'flat' too, as Bim put it. I was very grateful to be free of alcohol, but there was a feeling of something missing. I learned to live in a new way. The restlessness ended eventually. I hope you'll give yourself some time to adjust to the new you. Then, if you're still not content maybe some changes will be needed.

Be proud of yourself for those hard-earned 2 weeks of sobriety!
Old 04-17-2022, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's still early days, friend. I did some of those things after about a year and it was awesome, but some of it was my addict brain, just seeking (and finding) other outlets. I have since realized recovery has to come before anything else. You have plenty of time to focus on your own recovery, and perhaps some fun hobbies, then see how it goes.