Notices

Companies Offer Free Alcohol to Employees

Old 04-16-2022, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Companies Offer Free Alcohol to Employees

Sigh - Really?

Return to office: Companies offering free alcohol to lure employees back (*****.com)
Old 04-16-2022, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That wouldn't work for me.
They would have to give me money. Which I will not spend on alcohol
Old 04-16-2022, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would recommend a fitness gym, but what do I know?

Old 04-16-2022, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My company had a "Wellness Program".

This is sort of the opposite of that.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The potential liability for supplying your workforce with free booze is immense. I doubt the company ran that by legal or risk mgt.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a job where we got free booze at the Christmas party. Was nice being paid to drink for a few hours.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m not massively opposed to the idea. Clearly it’s not something any of us would find appropriate. I would just hope this company offered an alternative. Some people don’t drink for religious reasons and would be bemused by an offer of alcohol.

I am opposed to working for anyone else, though. If they can afford to blow money on booze, pay the staff more.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

If someone was lured to employment by the dangled carrot of an alcohol reward, I don't think I that would be a candidate that I would hire.

interviewer: "So tell me, why do you want to work for our company?"
candidate: "The free alcohol."
me: "?????"

Seems to be a bassackwards way to compile a potential employee pool. :~)

Old 04-16-2022, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know it sounds hard to believe, but I worked for several companies that not only provided booze (at company parties and such) but actually tolerated drinking on the job. I worked nights at a couple of places where people walked around with beers. The last job I had, the President had booze at the first staff meeting of the year. By the time that rolled around, I just avoided the alcohol. I am sure that those without a alcohol problem think nothing of having booze in the workplace at times. But I got to the point where I wished they would not have it there. A nice party with food and soft drinks worked better for me.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I interviewed for a place that had beer on tap in their cafe and advertised it as a perk. I had many questions about the rules around this, but that was going to be for later to ask, if I took a job. I was already working on being sober at this point. I saw it as a red flag, as this was a year pre Covid. So not a long time ago. I could only imagine that they hadn’t hit a legal issue with it ….yet. 20 years ago I worked for a company that banned drinking at company picnics because of a drunk driving incident that happened as a result of a picnic. It varies company to company but the one having it on tap was really a first. They talked about seasonal drinks for holidays. I did turn down the job ultimately but not because of that. I did wonder though how it would be to work with tipsy people, or if it had a culture of drinking that I wouldn’t join. Was the company culture going to be heavily drink oriented and if you didn’t join in, was there consequences?
Old 04-17-2022, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tornrealization View Post
They talked about seasonal drinks for holidays. I did turn down the job ultimately but not because of that. I did wonder though how it would be to work with tipsy people, or if it had a culture of drinking that I wouldn’t join. Was the company culture going to be heavily drink oriented and if you didn’t join in, was there consequences?
I wouldn't try to predict, but I think management likely has a problem. Even looking at it from a normie perspective, what are they thinking?