Notices

5 months today! Also advice needed for vacation planning

Old 04-12-2022, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months today! Also advice needed for vacation planning

Folks, GM from Seattle! Today I complete 150 days sober. I have never been so proud, happy and peaceful in a long while. I want to thank SR for the constant support, encouragement and timely advice.

Having said that, we are going on a vacation to Hawaii (Waikiki beach) first week of May for 8 days. Another family from Los Angeles is joining us as well (None of them drink). I have never been on a sober vacation and I am a bit worried about what I should do when I land in the beaches of Honolulu. Any vacation related sobriety advice highly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

I have never been on a sober vacation and I am a bit worried about what I should do when I land in the beaches of Honolulu.
Do what you have been doing for the last 150 days. Congrats on the 150 and enjoy the vacation!
Old 04-12-2022, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Planes, airports and holidays are my three biggest triggers, so you’re right to be wary. Saying that, you’ve hit the jackpot going with non drinkers. I’d just chill and have a great time but expect quite a few temptations. There’ll be drinks on the plane, at the hotel, at the beach. Definitely need a back up drink. Mine used to be AF but I’m not even on that now
Old 04-12-2022, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 150 days of recovery. I think that planning ahead will help you a lot. Swimming, hiking, taking tours, shopping, anything that helps to enjoy your week.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 months calmself. As for a drink free holiday, perhaps a bit of forward planning and thinking like a non-drinker, so planning activities which will keep you away from any temptations might help? You'll have the added bonus of reaching your 6 month milestone either while on holiday or just after you get back so maybe plan a little treat for yourself for that day?
Old 04-12-2022, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good work on pre planning a non drinking vacation.
Go with the flow. Enjoy the sites, sounds and smells. Relax.
Why waste the memory of a Hawaiian vacation in a drunken stupor?

And
Do Not Drink No Matter What

Old 04-12-2022, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good advice here CS. Our problem doesn’t go away when we find ourself in a new location.

Your AV may scream WHAT ABOUT FUN AND RELAXATION? But I’m sure Hawaii offers lots of that - without the necessity of drink

D
Old 04-12-2022, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi calm - I just got back from one, and must say that by ruling out the option to drink I was able to enjoy everything else in a much stronger way.

Sounds like you are in the right place with your sobriety, just project that vibe to the overall holiday and you ll have an awesome time.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

The best part of sober vacations for me is waking up early. I also found I could do a lot more and enjoy more activities sober. Food tastes a lot better. I’m sure the AV will nag at you at first but don’t drink, play the tape.

Use the money you save for fancy desserts or an activity you wouldn’t have otherwise.

You can still relax with a refreshing iced tea, flavored water etc. enjoy your vacation!
Old 04-12-2022, 07:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Take the lead from the other nondrinkers, and what you've already been doing.
plus, be a cheapo! Too expensive there for drinks lol
Old 04-12-2022, 07:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Calmself, I had some of the same concerns early on in planning my vacation, also my first sober air travel. I don’t know why I’m surprised, but I found that having the consideration of alcohol completely taken out of the situation actually made me more relaxed because I wasn’t worrying about where I was going to get a drink, when I could drink and all of that. I had the most miraculous vacation I’ve ever enjoyed in my whole entire life. So, the answer to how to prepare for your first sober vacation? Prepare to have the best time ever.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Absolutely agree with everything that was said here. Good to wake up fresh and relaxed, early and enjoy what Oahu has to offer. We are planning to go to the aquarium and trekking.

I want to come back and celebrate my big 6 month milestone. There are definitely going to be triggers right from the moment I board the plane to the beach bars. Just take it a day at a time as always.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Be active through the day get a bit exercise to release endorphins that will help make you feel relaxed in the evenings. Enjoy feeling well on waking up.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to Waikiki beach in November with my wife for a week. Our morning routine included the 12 Coconuts 7am AA meeting on the beach. It was a great way to start the day.

(Physical) 12 Coconuts (oahuaa.org)
Old 04-13-2022, 02:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 months sober. Holidays without alcohol become the norm once you’ve done a few 🙏
Old 04-13-2022, 03:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
I went to Waikiki beach in November with my wife for a week. Our morning routine included the 12 Coconuts 7am AA meeting on the beach. It was a great way to start the day.

(Physical) 12 Coconuts (oahuaa.org)
I forgot about coconut water. If I discovered that at 16, I doubt I’d have ever bothered with alcohol. I used to drink gallons of fresh coconut juice in Asia 👍 Calm, that could be your go to drink. Way classier than a beer or cocktail!
Old 04-13-2022, 08:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great idea. I love coconut water. Will see if I can find them sold locally.

lastorder, I will check with the host if there is a gym. Want to continue my running, laziness/boredom activates AV