Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Happy to be Sober? Or eager for the next drink? Weekenders 08 - 11 April 2022

Notices

Happy to be Sober? Or eager for the next drink? Weekenders 08 - 11 April 2022

Old 04-09-2022, 03:59 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

It’s a Simba mattress Mags, some kind of fancy way it’s layered I think. My old one was maybe 5 years old, had sagged a lot and was an iGel one that was also supposed to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer but it was rubbish. It was like sleeping on top of a warm oven but this new one actually does what it claims to do. x
Old 04-09-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders!
How lovely to catch up on all the uplifting posts!
Sao, lovely photo. I was just about able to read the Malcolm X quote. I was an avid reader before I became mired in drinking. I can't seem to concentrate still, to read, but I hope that may return.

I've been busy "saving" incandescent light bulbs in my home. Switching out the bulbs for the new led ones in places I don't use the lights much. The led bulbs cast an unpleasant blue light, in my opinion, so in the living room and bedroom I'm "hoarding" the old bulbs! You can't get the old incandescent bulbs here any longer. Got a few bulb covers washed and cleaned, so feeling more productive.

Thanks, Mags, for the information. I hope your hubby isn't too miserable today!
Old 04-09-2022, 07:03 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I'm only coming around after Covid now (3 weeks on) Had terrible 24/7 headaches that are only easing up now. I'm in pretty good health these days but it really knocked me for six at
the same time. Everyone reacts differently to infections and I thought I might/could clear it a lot quicker.

Then got some bad news yesterday evening, a friend I used to drink with passed away. He was only about 41/42, married with a young family (twins) found dead in bed in the afternoon, probably due to his alcoholism. He knew I was sober with a few years and had reached out to me but it never stuck. I always felt with him he didn't want to throw in the towel fully. I had recommended he go back into treatment on many occasions but he didn't want to listen. A waste of a life. A crappy few weeks overall for me. Still sober though.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:08 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Cool looking little book shop Sao.

Reid, glad your coming out of it. Sounds like you had a tough time. Rough news about your friend.

Working upstairs today, on the computer. Took a little break and watched a few minutes of Premier League. The Southampton goalie looked to be getting his exercise.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:28 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

Reid, that must’ve been terrible with headaches 24/7, pleased they’re easing up. My neighbour had it and had flu like illness for two weeks, laid up. Sorry to hear alcoholism got your friend. So sad for him and family he left behind.

MantaLady, I think I’ve seen the ads for simba mattresses. Ours is nearly 9 years old. I got it after I got sober too Saou. I’m ashamed to say when I drank I more often than not crashed out on the sofa! We probably need another anytime soon. I think I’d like a cooling one.

Saou, interesting book shop. Nice touch with the tub of daffodils.

We pass through one of the villages on way to mum in law’s and there’s an old red phone box shelved out and full of books. You can get in the box to choose one. It’s free I believe and you can leave books too. I thought it was a good idea.

I think we’re going to have rain. It’s gone dark.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:44 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Reid, sorry to read about your friend. My sister had covid in January and says she has still not fully recovered. She's one of those people who rarely gets ill but since January she's never felt 100%

Mags, I looked up the Simba mattresses range after MantaLady posted about them. They aren't cheap! The luxury range starts at £1,200. Forget about just cooling, for that price I'd expect air conditioning to be thrown in too! My mattress is 7 years old in July. It's still pretty much in good shape. I think it comes with a 10 year guarantee so I'm assuming that is how long the mattress is expected to stay in decent shape.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:26 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Reid, I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a rough time with Covid, and about the loss of your friend; so young.

I can't believe people are changing mattresses after 7 to 9 years. Mine is in perfect shape still after 20 years. I turn and flip twice a year, have a good protector which I do replace regularly, and I'm not a heavy person. I guess new mattresses, you don't turn them etc. Should I be embarrassed to have such an old mattress?!
Old 04-09-2022, 12:29 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, in summer I put cold ‘hot water’ bottles in the bed, after having them in the fridge for a while.
It looks like Simba are one of the ‘Rolls Royce’ of mattresses.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:31 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Magsie

Leshar, if you’re comfy on your mattress why change it. We don’t have to flip them over anymore just turn ends.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:58 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Reid, I'm glad you are on the mend but that is shocking news about your friend and a reminder (as if we needed it) that our habit is a killer. I cannot imagine how his family are feeling.

Simba mattresses look good. One of these would be even better.

Old 04-09-2022, 02:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Yeah, it wasn’t cheap but worth it. I’d always aspired to get a Tempur one but when I looked that priced up it was 2.3k and no way I’d spend that, this was an expensive compromise. I got 40% off the Hybrid luxe with a mattress protector which came out at 1.4K.

I do the same to in summer Mags, but I put the water bottle in the freezer and put an extra cover on it to keep my feet cool lol. X
Old 04-09-2022, 02:49 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Ha! Great time saving devices of a morning!
Old 04-09-2022, 04:26 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for your loss Reid.

D
Old 04-09-2022, 04:32 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sorry Reid.
Wise observation..
There are 2 sorts of people in the world. People with beards and everyone else.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:21 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

End of Day 147 - Good night from Seattle. Congrats on all milestones today.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:23 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

a bit weary but happy Mr. Mags had his colonoscopy and all was well. Just awaiting results of celiac tests though he’s much better keeping gluten out of his food. Who knew what problems it can cause if you’re susceptible.

Congratulations on 147 calmself is that a special score in snooker I seem to think.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done to Mr Mags!
Old 04-10-2022, 09:27 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Hiya Weekenders

a bit weary but happy Mr. Mags had his colonoscopy and all was well. Just awaiting results of celiac tests though he’s much better keeping gluten out of his food. Who knew what problems it can cause if you’re susceptible.

Congratulations on 147 calmself is that a special score in snooker I seem to think.
147 is the maximum break that can be achieved in snooker. It's 15 reds, 15 blacks followed by all 6 colours.

Good to hear all went well for Mr M. When will he get his test results back?
Old 04-10-2022, 09:47 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Robbie, he got the results straight away. All clear on the colonoscopy…so to speak.

I think I recall Ronnie O’Sullivan not potting the last ball, a while back. Intentionally.

Thanks Saou,
Old 04-10-2022, 09:59 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi Mags, I hope Mr. Mags is resting comfortably after his colonoscopy.

I got snooker and darts scores mixed up when you mentioned 147. I can still hear that announcer on the old darts show calling out "180"!