Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Happy to be Sober? Or eager for the next drink? Weekenders 08 - 11 April 2022

Notices

Happy to be Sober? Or eager for the next drink? Weekenders 08 - 11 April 2022

Old 04-08-2022, 07:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags and Robbie for the encouraging words. GM and Happy Friday from Seattle!
Old 04-08-2022, 09:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Hi all,
Hi Mags, I was diagnosed with celiac disease last year, first by lab tests, then by endoscopy and biopsy. Is your husband having an endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy? Both ends, haha!
It's a bit of an adjustment going gluten free but quite manageable. There are lots of gluten free options available now, fortunately, and I've adjusted favourite recipes with help from a number of good websites.
Hope he copes with the preparation!

hi Leshar, I’m not sure if he’s having an endoscopy this time. I’ve put the rest in the spoiler.
Spoiler

Old 04-08-2022, 10:07 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
saoutchik

TGIF.

That's a nuisance about your fever MantaLady, fingers crossed it's short-lived.

There does seem to be a lot more gluten-free products around now. I wonder if celiac's is on the increase or just easier to diagnose now?

This is for anyone in need of something uplifting.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Magsie

Great tune Saou!
Old 04-08-2022, 12:27 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am wondering if anyone cannot relate to the desire to drink on weekends?

I work from home and my drinking was very, very secretive. It’s the weekdays and early mornings that I struggle with. Just wondering if anyone else can relate.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Pouncer, It all depends on what times of the week you have drunk most historically. I am sober for almost 5 months now and still get cravings on Monday and Thursday evenings , these were the times I used to drink. Purely habit based desire as the neurons get trained and expect alcohol at this time.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Pouncer, we can all relate. Not hitting the beer cave on the way home from work was staggering for me in those first few weeks. I would stop for a big cup of tea and read/post on SR instead. A couple of times I felt that it was going to be more than I could stand so I found an AA meeting on my phone and went straight there from work. I made it through that phase pretty quickly though, and eventually made it through all the trigger situations, weekends included.
Old 04-08-2022, 05:53 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Pounced,

I only drank on the days that ended in the word ‘day’, so only daily. 🥺😫

Yes, can relate, although I hadn’t succumbed to drinking round the clock…..yet.

How far along are you? It took me about six months not to think of drinking every second of the day.

It gets way better. Changing the thought to “I don’t WANT to drink” is much easier to swallow (pun intended) than, “I NEED/HAVE to stop drinking”.

Even more positive, “I WANT to live a sober life”.

Big hugs, stay close.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I have been in recovery for approximately 13 (?) years. I usually go 6-12 months alcohol free, have a slip-up, then go back to doubling down on my sobriety. I am in that stage now.

I am mostly tempted when I am stressed or overwhelmed, like most of us here.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I slipped in 2019 after 14 months.

I confused abstinence with control.

Making new pathways with stress relief is essential.

Things that help me are:

Exploring here, ALOT
Keeping an accountability thread on here.
Exploring some of the AA steps in my own way. I have not zoomed or attending any formal meetings of any formal recovery groups.
Ride Out my anxiety, it’s not easy. Exercise and getting outdoors is good and works for me.

This last week was very stressful for me. I almost grabbed my husbands drink and guzzled it. I actually envisioned myself doing that, because I romanticized getting relief from that.

But that’s a lie, for me. Drinking the last five years of my drinking career was toxic to my body and soul. I had to stop. Now. Forever, now.

Its not a comfortable place to sit, on that pointy fence. In fact, it hurts. All over.

Come and stay on the sober side…….

you CAN do it.

❤️
Old 04-08-2022, 06:14 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Manta, wonderful idea on the bed. Yep, you DESERVE it!

So many positive vibes being sent your way…….

Mwuah! 😍🥰😘
Old 04-08-2022, 09:24 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey Free,

Thank you for sharing your experience. it’s inspiring to hear from people who have taken control over their drinking.

I have one main trigger for drinking and it’s PTSD flashbacks. I work really hard in therapy, but it’s tough to get over it. I have decided to love myself no matter what happens and it’s helping some.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:35 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Awww, Free. That was a very real and great post. Uplifting.
The first year or so I was sober, I kept falling off the wagon. I kept having to change my sobriety date, tell everyone and feel the shame. I did not feel judged, only supported and that made me want to stay sober even more. I didn't want to disappoint myself and my friends anymore. The more I drank, the worse my anxiety disorder became. I finally decided I didn't want to feel like that anymore. A lot of people were sober and I could too (self talk). Finally, I've been able to make it 4 years this past Feb. I feel so blessed and grateful for SR and the wonderful people who have come and gone and for the ones who have stayed around. I'm so lucky to have so many friends here and even been able to meet one of our members in person. So nice! I've really met some great people here.
I understand how hard it is to stay sober. It took me a while to get any sort of long term sobriety under my belt.
Gratitude, daily, is a big part of my recovery, whether I post it here or in my personal gratitude journal.
Grateful for our Weekenders so much, esp our Mags. Not only a great friend but a wonderful SR mate as well.
Have a great weekend all!
Old 04-08-2022, 10:31 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good one, free!

End of Day 145 - my first 7 mile run in 75 minutes. Felt so good. It's exhilarating to run. Wishing everyone a great sober day or evening ahead. Good night from Seattle.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Good morning Weekenders!

It's a lovely, sober, Saturday morning. It's cold outside (temperature is currently 0c, 32f) but it's sunny. I'm planning on going for a long walk after breakfast. Later, I'll be doing some shopping and then settling down for a day of watching sport on TV. It's a Saturday the way that I love it. Hangover free and relaxing.

Take care everyone.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:13 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Great post Free and I agree with reframing to “I don’t want to drink” vs “I need a drink”!!

Hope Mr Mags is feeling better and our Mags too xx

Well, got the new bed set up with the help of my neighbours and it’s absolutely flipping amazing!! It’s so comfortable and keeps me cool. I am super chuffed with it and slept so well, no aches and pains when I woke up either.

Looks like a lovely day out there which is uplifting to see. I am finishing off my big house clean / disinfect and hoping to clean the carpets with the Vax.

Hope everyone has a super sober Saturday!! Xx
Old 04-09-2022, 01:36 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Good to see you Pouncer! Have you checked out SMART Recovery? I have found their online meetings helpful as well as being here on SR...Also Annie Grace's 30 day challenge "The Alcohol Experiment" (based on her book This Naked Mind) was a big staple for me.

Thanks for sharing, Aly!

Well done Free!

Wow Calmself, I wish I had the motivation to run like that....Awesome!

Glad you're able to get some good sleep Manta

Old 04-09-2022, 01:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

MantaLady so pleased your new mattress is comfy. I like the idea it keeps you cool. Is that some technology in the material like cooling sheets? Thanks, we’re ok. My meds have kicked in and feeling a bit better. Worse when I lie down but extra pillows help. Mr. Mags is looking forward to his prep drinks later. Lol. Take care. xx

Robbie, enjoy your walk, it’s a cold sunny start here too.

Hi Pouncer. I have triggers sometimes, very rarely but sometimes . And I know if I didn’t have SR I could easy think I’ve got control of this. A bit like the weather. We can’t control it but we can take precautions against it. Our sober tool box and sober muscles get us through any triggers. I’ve also got to the stage where I like myself and my life better being sober.

Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 04-09-2022, 01:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Purps, cute pic. ❤️
Old 04-09-2022, 01:48 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, some fine, uplifting posts overnight. Good to see you Pouncer.

Manta's post reminds me I need a new mattress, my current one is about 7 years old. I bought it a few months after I got sober.

Fantastic pic Purps! The cat really does seem to be copying the pooch. They certainly know how to chill.

It is a lovely morning out here too, something I would never have had the chance to enjoy while hungover. One small cloud is that someone has scuffed my car. Fortunately I can probably T-Cut iT-Cut as it is not deep.

Here is a pic of the 2nd hand bookshop on the canal which has been there for over a decade now. I bought an independent magazine on a local artists who's work ranges from excellent to 'challenging' not that I am any sort of a judge.

Attached Images