SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What do you think about rehab aftercare programs? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/458325-what-do-you-think-about-rehab-aftercare-programs.html)

tgregory1313 04-05-2022 03:54 PM

What do you think about rehab aftercare programs?

Hi there,
My name is Taylor, and I'm an addict. In January I completed a 30 day stay at Bayside Marin. I had a really great experience there. I made close friends, was able to stay off drugs for longer than I've been able to in over 5 years, and I learned some good coping skills. But when I got out I felt really unprepared and not because of lack of coping skills learned, but for lack of support and accountability. I went almost directly into an SLE but that was a disaster because my roommate was still using so I moved in with my parents who have a whole host of their own problems.
Then in early March I got some horrible news; my friend beloved Tia, who was my roommate the entire time I was at Bayside, commit suicide. I'm still trying to come to terms with it and I wish I could understand why she did it, but I know I never will. I talked to her mom the other day and she said that when Tia came home she struggled to create routine and she didn't have any aftercare program in place. So it got me thinking, how was there not a better aftercare program in place for her?
So my questions to people on here that are willing to reply are:
1. If you have been to rehab, what was the biggest issue you faced when leaving?
2. What can people at the rehab facility do to help someone leaving rehab have a better transition back into daily life?
3. What does someone in recovery need to help them continue their sobriety outside of rehab?
4. What are the roadblocks the recovering addict faces when trying to maintain sobriety
5. If someone relapses, what tools and/or resources are in place to help them get back on track?

Thank you in advance to anyone wanting to respond!

Dee74 04-05-2022 05:03 PM

Hi and welcome Taylor :)
I'm sorry for your loss.

I've never been to rehab but I know others here have, and you're bound to hear from them soon.
as for question 3: I wanted a new life free of addiction and I've never stopped working for it.

I made choices and decisions based on wanting to stay clean and sober. I changed a lot of things in my life - people places things - cos my old life was all about drinking

A place like this (Sober Recovery) helped me a lot.

D

Anna 04-05-2022 05:22 PM

Hi and Welcome,

I haven't been to rehab either. For question 3, I removed a few toxic people from my life and I distanced myself from my parents for awhile. I reconnected with interests and hobbies I'd given up while drinking. I began a walking/hiking program which I still follow to this day and it's helped me a lot. Basically, you need to find what works for you, what makes you feel good about yourself.

DriGuy 04-06-2022 05:15 AM

I've never been. But I've seen people who recover after rehab, and many that do not. It seems to me that rehab is just a beginning, an important step, but long term recovery requires more, and I can't emphasize that enough. More doesn't mean being in rehab for the rest of your life, but after rehab there is still a lot to learn, maybe even more than what you learned in rehab. You can learn more here. There is plenty of experience here, but to apply what you learn is something you do on your own. Being on your own requires a lot of productive and meaningful self direction. And that is what separates success from failure. We can help, but you do the fixing.

Mizz 04-06-2022 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by tgregory1313 (Post 7787337)
1. If you have been to rehab, what was the biggest issue you faced when leaving? I went to a rehab when I was 28 years old. The biggest issue I faced was dealing with myself in the world outside of a structured system. It is a very vulnerable time to get out of a rehab and to join the world again.

2. What can people at the rehab facility do to help someone leaving rehab have a better transition back into daily life?
I'm not sure if the rehab can do anything other then provide the client with resources, which I am sure they do. AA, sober living options, guidance towards a counselor, etc.

3. What does someone in recovery need to help them continue their sobriety outside of rehab?
Structure. Willingness to go to any length to stay sober.

4. What are the roadblocks the recovering addict faces when trying to maintain sobriety
Roadblocks? Well, I think our brains (the way we think) would be the biggest road block.

5. If someone relapses, what tools and/or resources are in place to help them get back on track?
AA, Rehab, Sober Recovery, exercise, friends, counselors, books, SMART Recovery, LIFE RING. There are many tools and many many resources. Recovery is an inside job. Recovery is personal and it varies from person to person. All, if not most, of the work is an inside job after we get through the physical addiction part. My recovery is an emotional, mental, physical and spiritual journey.

I am sorry for your heartbreak and for losing a friend. I do understand the toll suicide takes on people. We have experienced suicide in our family and it is awful. Our mental health through life is so precious. May you find peace on your sober journey and stay close. We are here for you.

Sending healing and hugs to you.

( I did not format right but my answers are in the block above)

anxiousrock 04-06-2022 11:59 AM

Welcome and sorry for your loss.
this is a really good thread to have i think there is going to be some good input.

nez 04-06-2022 12:12 PM

1. If you have been to rehab, what was the biggest issue you faced when leaving? Fear of leaving my safe place and lack of trust and confidence in self.
2. What can people at the rehab facility do to help someone leaving rehab have a better transition back into daily life? Be the best example of what works, in their actions and the way they live and coexist with the rest of the planet.
3. What does someone in recovery need to help them continue their sobriety outside of rehab? Total complete rigorous honesty with themselves.
4. What are the roadblocks the recovering addict faces when trying to maintain sobriety? Themselves, complacency, selective memory, lack of honesty with person in mirror, blaming others as a justification.
5. If someone relapses, what tools and/or resources are in place to help them get back on track? Other people in recovery

AthensDawgs 04-06-2022 03:17 PM

1. If you have been to rehab, what was the biggest issue you faced when leaving?
Getting back into the real world and facing challenges when you aren't inside the rehab bubble. I also had to get a steady routine and structure. Having too much free time for me is a disaster, so the more I stay occupied the better.

My last rehab facility has an aftercare program. It meets on Wednesday morning and Thursday night. Since I'm at work on Wednesday, I go to the Thursday afternoon one to check in with everyone. They also have a Saturday afternoon zoom meeting with everyone that's optional.
I think a major focus and an important one is to have a plan in place way before you leave rehab. I had to tell my therapist who my mentor was and which AA meetings I was planning on attending.

3. What does someone in recovery need to help them continue their sobriety outside of rehab? I know what having a drink will lead towards. I don't want to go back to that hell again. I have a great job which keeps me active and I attend meetings when I can.

Temptation and getting too cocky about you are "over" your addiction. I still have to remain focused that I can't drink or I'll end up losing another job and destroying everything that I worked towards.

5. If someone relapses, what tools and/or resources are in place to help them get back on track? I have relapsed numerous times. A ton. Its not the end of the world. The sun will rise and there will be a sunset at the end of the day. Get to a meeting/talk to your mentor/talk to other sober folks.

4/8 will be 5 months with no alcohol.

DriGuy 04-07-2022 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by AthensDawgs (Post 7787796)
4. What are the roadblocks the recovering addict faces when trying to maintain sobriety?

Temptation and getting too cocky about you are "over" your addiction. I still have to remain focused that I can't drink or I'll end up losing another job and destroying everything that I worked towards.

Rehab does not get you over your addiction. It dries you out and gets you to manageable cravings, which is entirely different than "getting over" your addiction. It's a problem, because it feels like you are over your addiction, and it's caused by not paying enough attention to what's going on in your head and your life. Rehab is the beginning. Recovery takes place during the years following rehab.