Notices

10 days without alcohol and I can't stop shaking!

Old 04-05-2022, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 days without alcohol and I can't stop shaking!

I believe it is due to maybe withdrawal still from medications from the hospital as well as no alcohol. This was all 10 days ago when all of this stopped. They sent me home with 2 days worth of phenobarbitol (sp) for the taper that I was on. I didn't take them. (but there again, this was 10 days ago) I also believe it is due to my circumstances (see previous posts) and anxiety. Any suggestions to calm the shaky hands and racing mind? It appears to come and go. I am drinking a ton of lemon h20 and hot tea. My gosh! This stinks, but I'm happy to be sober and shaking instead of drunk and shaking. lol. Thoughts?

I do know that 10 days is very early, but between that and anxiety my hand writing is barely legible.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Breath
Talk to your Dr.
Breath some more. Try to distract yourself from your circumstances. I know it's hard but worrying 24 7 is not gonna help.

Don't forget to breath

Old 04-05-2022, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We're not qualified to give medical advice here. Talk to your Doctor.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear. Hard for anyone to say what the cause is. Please setup a Dr. Appt or visit ER if symptoms worsen.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Breath
Talk to your Dr.
Thank you, I did. She prescribed a low dose of visteral as needed. It's not helping though, lol. That's kind of what makes me believe it's my circumstances more so than withdrawal. I am on no other medication other than supplements/vitamins.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Behappy, congratulations on Day 10 of sobriety.

Checking with your doctor is probably the best thing to do.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Are you able to get an emergency Doctor's appointment?
Old 04-05-2022, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Are you able to get an emergency Doctor's appointment?
I called in there and she told me to up the visteral. Thank you so much all! The Dr is aware. Just didn't know if anyone had inputs on foods/drink that may help. I have been eating candy, which I never do for the sugars. Again, I know this is early as 10 days isn't alot and I know it will take time for things to even out.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know what kind of tea you're drinking but I could NOT drink anything caffeinated in the first six months without it setting me off with anxiety, racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts. So, maybe try staying away from green tea, black tea, anything other than herbal tea.

Exercise always takes the edge off of those symptoms for me, too. Nothing huge, just 20 jumping jacks or squats and maybe jogging in place for 30 seconds.

All of it will get better - in Time...but for me it was a few months. The episodes became fewer and fewer as time went by, no way to rush it.

Here's my early-sobriety favorite breathing tool...https://quietkit.com/box-breathing/

Breathe in and out with the circle, start with ten of these breaths. Breathe In as the circle gets bigger - HOLD - breathe Out as it gets smaller - HOLD -

Old 04-05-2022, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much bimini! I'd forgotten about the breathing exercises! I will keep doing this. The tea is decaf. I do drink coffee in the am, but nothing after 12 or I won't sleep. It probably doesn't help my anxiety any. lol. I got hit with alot of personal things, work related tasks, tons of phone calls that I had to return and emails to answer. @ 10 days I am still pretty fragile and can easily become overwhelmed. 11 days ago alcohol would have calmed that, but obviously that is not the answer and I will stay the course. I appreciate all of you and your responses! This anxiety is not fun to deal with.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're welcome, it's definitely not a lot of fun but you will keep getting better if you don't drink at it!

Have you looked at the PAWS threads? They're really good. Here's the latest one, but it's Part 4, so you can go back and read the other three if you want. You're not alone, this is all part of healing from a life-threatening mental/physical illness.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-4-a.html (For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4)
Old 04-05-2022, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You're welcome, it's definitely not a lot of fun but you will keep getting better if you don't drink at it!

Have you looked at the PAWS threads? They're really good. Here's the latest one, but it's Part 4, so you can go back and read the other three if you want. You're not alone, this is all part of healing from a life-threatening mental/physical illness.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-4-a.html (For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4)
I looked at it a while ago but I will revisit it tonight. I keep trying to remember that this is my body healing. Although I am eating more sweets than normal, I know why. I am also trying to eat very healthy and move as much as I can. I am still amazed at how weak I have become. I think I will start back up with yoga and my home gym (I have a pretty much complete gym in my basement - weights, smith machine, treadmill, pelaton, elliptical). These have not been used by me in a looooong time. If anyone has any youtubes of workouts that they like on any of this I am open to it. Although I am not overweight, I am nowhere near where I want to be. Hopefully this helps with the shaking and racing mind.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The breathing exercises Bimini suggested are great. And, you might think about trying meditation. There are lots of good videos on YT. Jon Kabat-Zinn is one of the very best.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hear hear about John Kabat Zinn !
Old 04-05-2022, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

We all gorge on the sugar initially - that may have an impact on your shaking, as may caffeine and cigarettes if you smoke.

Having trouble writing is an understandable worry tho. I’m glad you saw a Dr.
Don’t hesitate to go back if you’re worried or it gets worse.

D
Old 04-05-2022, 02:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Samantha

Good you've talked to your doctor. Get your electrolytes up with pedialyte!!