Notices

Compulsive 2/down the sink

Old 04-04-2022, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Compulsive 2/down the sink

I’m doing quite well with the dieting. Not that I’m overweight, but if I had a pack of chocolate biscuits or 4 bread rolls in the kitchen, I’d scoff the lot. I’ve been making veggie curries without rice or bread so even if I pig out, it’s not a massive amount of calories and hey it’s healthy. I said I’d look at CBT for this compulsion, which isn’t a major issue, but no progress yet.

Anyway, in my relatively tidy kitchen has been a miniature bottle of a spirit (which I won’t name or describe) for months. It was never my drink of choice. I think my wife won it, and she’s never touched alcohol in her life. So months went by, and I never even paid any attention to the little bottle. Until tonight. So down the sink it went, and only when it was all gone did I have a curious sniff. It did smell very appealing I have to admit. I made a mental note to steer clear of spirit drinkers as the aroma is potent.

I’m not sure what my plans were for this bottle. I was going to give it away as it had a gift box and everything. But once I started noticing it was there, it was better off down the sink.

Bear in mind I’m nearly three and a half years sober and not craved for weeks, that was a surprising reaction, and the aroma was dangerous. I still wonder how people have alcohol in the house whilst intending to quit. It also shows we must be vigilant. I’m definitely not out the woods and probably never will be.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my opinion...good to recognize it, acknowledge it to someone else, then carry on in confidence with your alcohol-free life, stronger than you were before.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringside View Post
In my opinion...good to recognize it, acknowledge it to someone else, then carry on in confidence with your alcohol-free life, stronger than you were before.
I agree
Old 04-04-2022, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hodd, you did the right thing by dumping the bottle and by being aware it had become a problem.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

People drink on occasion now at my house and it doesn't bother me. But I always warn them to either take it with them or it is getting dumped down the drain just as soon as they leave. And I also warn them I don't care what kind of vintage $300 hooch it is. It's going bye-bye.

No booze in this house on a day-to-day basis.

Good for you Hodd and great post!!
Old 04-04-2022, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

good decision Hodd

D
Old 04-04-2022, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hodd, you did the right thing by dumping the bottle and by being aware it had become a problem.
👍 You’d think it wouldn’t be a problem, though, Anna? The trouble is we never know. I could get Covid tomorrow and be house bound and miserable for a week. That bottle might’ve been just the “ticket” to “help”. Well, it won’t be an issue now. It was a timely reminder to remain vigilant.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
People drink on occasion now at my house and it doesn't bother me. But I always warn them to either take it with them or it is getting dumped down the drain just as soon as they leave. And I also warn them I don't care what kind of vintage $300 hooch it is. It's going bye-bye.
I love this 🤣 Well done for standing up for your sobriety.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That was a great decision Hodd. Very proud of you.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good work Hodd.
Old 04-05-2022, 01:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good decision Hodd! It's the process of trying to "unknow" something you "know" and as you know the bottle was there it was beginning to grab your attention even if you had no intention of drinking it. You can't pretend it's not there. I would have done the same and poured it down the sink.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^ Thanks Robbie, hope you’re doing OK.

It’s a gloomy outlook, but I reckon there’s an unknown trigger or triggers out there we haven’t encountered yet, but come they will. I gave the example of Covid, which I’ve so far avoided so I don’t know how I’d feel. I might end up “needing” that little bottle to “see me through”. When we’re physically ill or stressed, we don’t always make the right decisions. The irony was, if I recall, I couldn’t even stand the taste of this particular drink back in the day.

And this is after 3+ years. This vigilance is a lifelong thing. It’s not an everyday thing, but we need to think ahead and reduce any risks.