Notices

Liver Enzymes

Old 03-31-2022, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver Enzymes

Hey guys! I am fairly young in recovery. I had stopped for a couple years and picked it back up pretty heavy in 2021. I am 32, female. I am addressing the why I drink, and developing healthier coping skills. Making changes.

Over a year ago I had blood work done, nothing abnormal. Things looked good. Started some anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds and therapy. Went through a few of them to find what worked and what didn't. I was still drinking some as well. Not everyday, but I went through binges. I finally had enough of feeling weak, so I quit drinking period. I have to deal with the things in my head while sober, can't process them otherwise.

Fast forward to about a month ago I went to see the doctor for some medication follow up, but my provider was on leave so I seen one of their colleagues and they wanted to run lab work. Fine with me, but my liver enzymes came up elevated. I had blood work done yesterday again and it increased. I haven't had anything to drink. I drink water and black coffee. Nothing sugary. Pretty clean diet. I lift and run. I am over weight, not obese.

They aren't crazy high, first test was 40, then yesterday's 52. I'm concerned with the increase when I feel like I am doing everything I can to get healthy.

Anybody else have any experience with enzymes increasing while sober and actively loosing weight?

Old 03-31-2022, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RAL

Hi. I am 32 days sober and had bloods done at 1 week sober. My levels were 63. I've not had them done since but will go back when 3 months sober.

How long sober are you? I know the best thing to do is stay sober as well as eating better and losing weight both of which I also need to do.

I'm 47 and have had my bloods checked reasonably regularly and it's only the last one that had high levels.

Old 03-31-2022, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How long sober are you?
40 days this time around.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RAL

Congrats on your sober time. I hope someone will be able to help you with your query
Old 03-31-2022, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Could the medication be driving it up a bit? You could ask your doctor.

Congratulations on 40 days. Stopping drinking is best thing you could have done.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Could the medication be driving it up a bit?
It's possible and I will definitely inquire. When I was talking to the nurse I had asked if there was something that I could be doing to cause it to worsen, she didn't seem concerned about meds outside of Tylenol.

He is going to order an ultrasound on my gull bladder and liver to see what it looks like. Apparently, high protein diets are a factor too? At least that's what I've read, I don't know how true it is. I am eating raw fruits and veggies then mixed nuts, chicken and eggs for my protein. 115g of protein per day and 141g of fat per day. I really don't think it's that though.

I guess I'm just anxious about it.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing everything that you can do, so try not to worry too much. Have you talked to your doctor about the increase?
Old 03-31-2022, 01:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you talked to your doctor about the increase?
No my doctor, not the one that ordered the tests, wont be available until the end of April. I just found out today about the increase, and that this doctor I am working with in the mean time wants to do the ultrasound. It hasn't even been scheduled yet, I'm waiting on the call.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like your treatment is right on with follow up ultrasound. Sounds like they are wanting to find the answers, but need more data. US is a noninvasive way to get more data.

Deep breaths. Worry won’t change the data

Hugs to you.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a friend whose liver enzyme levels where 264 so it could be worse maybe alcoholic fatty liver not medical advice my liver levels usefully come down over time early days yet patience.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And don't drink alcohol. Onwards.