Notices

The Road less trodden, Weekenders 01 - 04 April 2022

Old 04-01-2022, 01:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

In what can only be described as an April Fools farce and not an April Fools joke (though it happened yesterday), I've managed to break and write off a fridge freezer with a banana! I keep my fruit bowl on top of my fridge freezer. Yesterday morning I went to get a banana from the fruit bowl and accidentally knocked another banana out of the bowl and it fell behind the fridge. Except that it didn't fall behind the fridge and onto the floor, it managed to fall down between the fridge and the metal grill (I think it's also known as the cooling plate) at the back and completely lodged itself stuck halfway down. The space between the fridge and metal grill is tight so I couldn't get at the banana. I then tried to push the banana down to the bottom of the space between the fridge and metal grill using a broom handle (!). All the happened was it became more lodged further down and knocked a pipe out of the back of the fridge. So... I removed the nuts holding the grill to the fridge, removed banana, struggled to get grill back in place and switched on the fridge. Smoke started to come out of the back of the fridge down at the bottom where all the various parts are (compressor, coolant line etc). I switched off the fridge. Switched it back on and the fridge this time the fridge appeared to work, and without smoke coming out. However, hours later I realised all the food in the freezer was thawing. I then noticed I'd snapped off what I later found out was the copper coolant line, which goes from the compressor at the bottom back of the fridge freezer to the metal grill / cooling plate. The upshot is that it is not economical to repair the fridge freezer so this morning I've had to buy a new one. It's being delivered on Wednesday.

It's a bit of a long winded post but I can't believe that a banana (and my stupidity) has cost me an awful lot of money. The moral is - don't stand anything on top of a fridge freezer! I think that's usually said in case anything topples forward and onto the person's head but in this case it's if anything topples backwards too and causes problems. It did occur to me last night that I should have just left the banana where it was as it would have eventually decayed and probably dropped out the gap at the bottom of the metal grill. What an idiot!
Old 04-01-2022, 01:15 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Lots of prayers Manta-l.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:04 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Oh Robbie

Old 04-01-2022, 02:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Prayers Manta - I admire your strength in sharing here and hope for the very best for you.

So, I'm IN once again for the weekend please Mags. Thank you once again for the thread.

Robbie, an April fools day farce indeed. Modern fridges are cooled with propane so at least you didn't set fire to your house as well... Free - thank you for the spectacular views. Calmself well done. Kaily - I'm sure Daisy will bounce back in no time.

Back to work... Best to all. Forwards.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
saoutchik

How annoying Robbie. I too managed to play an April Fools trick on myself though less far less damaging. I packed my winter clothes into some difficult to access storage units a week or so ago and was freezing on my way to work this morning.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Oohhhh Robbie!

You're not an idiot, you really did your best

Have a good Friday Weekenders! ☼

Old 04-01-2022, 02:57 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Aren't these the most brilliant ever?

Attached Images
Old 04-01-2022, 03:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hello Sao...I can't open it, I'd love to watch!
Old 04-01-2022, 04:05 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Manta, we are here to support you.

Sao, very funny.

Robbie, sounds like something I would do.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
In what can only be described as an April Fools farce and not an April Fools joke (though it happened yesterday), I've managed to break and write off a fridge freezer with a banana! I keep my fruit bowl on top of my fridge freezer. Yesterday morning I went to get a banana from the fruit bowl and accidentally knocked another banana out of the bowl and it fell behind the fridge. Except that it didn't fall behind the fridge and onto the floor, it managed to fall down between the fridge and the metal grill (I think it's also known as the cooling plate) at the back and completely lodged itself stuck halfway down. The space between the fridge and metal grill is tight so I couldn't get at the banana. I then tried to push the banana down to the bottom of the space between the fridge and metal grill using a broom handle (!). All the happened was it became more lodged further down and knocked a pipe out of the back of the fridge. So... I removed the nuts holding the grill to the fridge, removed banana, struggled to get grill back in place and switched on the fridge. Smoke started to come out of the back of the fridge down at the bottom where all the various parts are (compressor, coolant line etc). I switched off the fridge. Switched it back on and the fridge this time the fridge appeared to work, and without smoke coming out. However, hours later I realised all the food in the freezer was thawing. I then noticed I'd snapped off what I later found out was the copper coolant line, which goes from the compressor at the bottom back of the fridge freezer to the metal grill / cooling plate. The upshot is that it is not economical to repair the fridge freezer so this morning I've had to buy a new one. It's being delivered on Wednesday.

It's a bit of a long winded post but I can't believe that a banana (and my stupidity) has cost me an awful lot of money. The moral is - don't stand anything on top of a fridge freezer! I think that's usually said in case anything topples forward and onto the person's head but in this case it's if anything topples backwards too and causes problems. It did occur to me last night that I should have just left the banana where it was as it would have eventually decayed and probably dropped out the gap at the bottom of the metal grill. What an idiot!
That is both the best and worst story I have ever heard.

I am trying so hard not to laugh, but the more I think about it the funnier it gets. And I feel horrible for being so amused.
I mean, that is one expensive error.

This coming from the woman who has watered at least 4 VCRs and two televisions. At least you only did it once.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

^
I did say to my mother earlier today that if it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious!

Watering VCR's and televisions?! I assume you had some plants standing on them...
Old 04-01-2022, 06:55 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders,
MantaLady, your courage in the face of adversity is so admirable. Sending you every good wish as you decide on treatment options. I hope you have confidence in your medical team.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend. Beautiful weather here this weekend! Great weekend to play golf
Old 04-01-2022, 08:24 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm in for this sober weekend. I'm still not 100% after my Covid infection, it's been 12 days since I tested positive now (I'm testing negative now) but still struggling
with slight fatigue and a headache.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:28 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Leshar

Hi Shell

Robbie, Blummin heck! It’s like a comedy of errors. Sorry I know it’s not amusing really. I wonder if it was a mischievous banana like this one!

Saou, I tried to open it!

Old 04-01-2022, 08:44 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good to see you Leshar, Shell.

Leshar
Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Saou, I tried to open it!
Sorry about that Weekenders, i'm a very naughty boy.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:41 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Robbie, I am with Venus…I know I shouldn’t giggle a little but for some reason I am xx

So, all change today with the oncologist. He said he didn’t think I had extensive small cell but limited and thinks we have a good chance to get it under control and a few more years!! I was bowled over as for the last 48 hours I had hung up my coat and was cleaning out my locker so to speak.

I have an aggressive 12 week plan which includes 4 x 3 day sessions every 21 days of 8 hours chemo per day for the 3 days. For one of the 21 days at the end of April I will also need to have the 3 days 8 hours chemo at the same time as radiotherapy and 18 days of daily radiotherapy. One of the chemo drugs is Etoposide which means defo full hair loss and as the schedule is aggressive that will only be a couple of weeks away.

Got a hard road ahead, gonna be sick as a dog but I have hope and found my “fight” again xx
Old 04-01-2022, 09:52 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

MantaLady, there’s a silver lining in the cloud. I’m so pleased for you love. Sending much love and hugs to you xx
Old 04-01-2022, 10:00 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

We'll be here to support you through it all MantaLady.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:31 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that. Feel my prayer is working. Will try to keep you in mind every single day.