Notices

Me the compulsive

Old 03-29-2022, 04:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zura View Post
I'm so time poor ATM but just wanted to add to you Backandscared that I just remembered I found that talk on her website many years ago......she's got alot of talks but I couldn't find the not enough one. It's hard to know what will resonate with who but you know what you like 😂

Wish I had more time to spend on here with you all. Hope everyone is doing well with their stuffs ❤️
Thank you for searching this for me. I will spend some time the WE on this. Very kind
Old 03-29-2022, 04:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

The alcoholic's adage that one is not enough applies to food as well. I do the same with bags of cookies. I don't quit until I eat the whole package, or more often today, throw 3/4 of the package into the garbage. And I have to pour the cookies out of the bag and into the garbage, so there is no possibility of uncontaminated cookies left in the bag.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:16 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

^^ Hi Zura, easier said than done, but maybe start thinking why you’re time poor. I’m not suggesting posting loads on here, although that’d be nice, but take some time for yourself. People who rush about don’t get time to eat properly or relax or anything really. The happiest people I know are self employed but not massively fussed about money. It takes effort to get like that.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:39 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
The alcoholic's adage that one is not enough applies to food as well. I do the same with bags of cookies. I don't quit until I eat the whole package, or more often today, throw 3/4 of the package into the garbage. And I have to pour the cookies out of the bag and into the garbage, so there is no possibility of uncontaminated cookies left in the bag.
lol, that's what I do, too. I even spray them with soapy water.

My neighbor has become a very good cookie baker. She comes over at least once a week with cookies for me. I love her and I love the cookies but I need a strategy!

I'm thinking of eating one and sticking the remainder(s) in the freezer. We'll see how that goes. I suppose if the (small) freezer becomes full o'cookies, I can throw them out.

It's only the first couple bites that are satisfying!
Old 03-29-2022, 05:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

...on second thought that probably won't work. I'll know they're in the freezer.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Samantha

I can so relate to this as I am the same way. I can't just have food laying around, the same as alcohol! My doctor has actually referred me to a psych to get a diagnosis for binge eating disorder since it has been so long this is going on she wants me to speak with one again as there is treatment for it!!!!!
Old 03-29-2022, 12:52 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
^^ Hi Zura, easier said than done, but maybe start thinking why youíre time poor. Iím not suggesting posting loads on here, although thatíd be nice, but take some time for yourself. People who rush about donít get time to eat properly or relax or anything really. The happiest people I know are self employed but not massively fussed about money. It takes effort to get like that.
Excellent points Hodd. I'm a big believer in better life work balance and looking after yourself. I normally have excellent work life balance and guard it very well, just a temporary crisis situation keeping me time poor recently but I've already implemented strong boundaries around myself.
Old 03-29-2022, 02:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Phew! Glad it’s only temporary, Zura. I hope things work out.

It’s fine to be “time poor” for a short while or if there’s a defined goal. Last year, for example, I was studying, and “time poor” wasn’t the word for it, totally unsustainable, but I knew it’d end and when, so it was doable I guess. But people with these careers who work long hours and get stressed for someone else’s company, I have nothing but pity however much money they make.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your troubles with food kaily, biminiblue and anxious rock. I have issues by consistently not making good choices for meals. I used to eat really well when feeding my family. Then allowed bad habits to creep in as the kids got older and more autonomy. Now I'm also reaching for the "quick and easy" options that never used to be available in the home and even ordering junk food meals. There was a time it was quite bad but I managed to improve it to be less unreasonable. It's a constant daily battle with lots of room for improvement.

I agree wholeheartedly Hodd, I wish things hadn't got so complicated in the world but we can make choices to try to care for ourselves. I shake my head at myself that I don't take better care of myself in my circumstances, it's illogical to me but something I work on ALOT. As Kaily said about being a work in progress.

The most bizarre thing I found was the peer pressure around food, feeding my children. I used to get a really hard time for feeding my kids so healthy from the alot of other mothers. One even implied I was setting them up for an eating disorder, they weren't underfed it anything, not over fed either so I'm assuming that was projection. Probably a good thing because it just reinforced my decision 😂 it wasn't until the kids developed this attitude towards food that everyone had, and I started trying to have closer adult relationships myself thinking I was isolating too much that I started to cave. It was a mistake I regret deeply not to keep staying the path but I'm sure I can turn it around for myself. Boundaries and balance are something I'm working on currently.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

^ Carrying across from Dustyís ďthat was meĒ thread, I was in a checkout queue a few years back, and a couple in front of me were doing a big shop. I was being a bit judgemental Iím afraid to say, but some of the c*** they were buying was shocking. It was a sea of ready meals, but what stuck in my mind was the packs of microwaveable burgers, the ones with burger and bun already assembled. Iíd thought that sort of food was emergency Sunday afternoon petrol station food, but presumably they planned to eat these burgers that week. They spent a lot of money that shop, so they were either time poor or really hated cooking.

I had one of the laziest meals of my life yesterday. I poured a jar of curry paste in a saucepan, I threw in tinned lentils, tinned green beans and tinned tomatoes, and cooked for 3 minutes! Tasted way better than a micro burger. I do try to at least use a knife and cut my own veg on most days

Try and cut down on the junk, Zura. I went through a Five Guys phase for a couple of months last year. I donít know what I was thinking. As soon as I stopped, I lost about 3kg, and Iím not even a big guy.
Old 03-29-2022, 04:49 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

That's really impressive that you've stuck to real cooking and what I call real food for yourself. I used to be like that in the good ole days. Inspiring, thanks for starting the thread. I'm still not sober. I get periods of course so I'm sure I'll get myself back to normal but it all starts there but there's no reason I can't do all at once. I'm a real mess of a person at the moment but I can get well. Thanks for the encouragement also.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Don’t call yourself a mess You’re not just having a busy spell.

I’m obviously going to throw this one in, but being sober just somehow makes things easier to organise. Things fall into place more. Maybe set that as your first goal. The other stuff will follow. You’ll be OK and definitely not a mess.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:04 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Absolutely sobriety needs to be the No 1 priority. But what better activity to do to fill the time then preparing and eating fresh produce. I grow produce and whilst what doesn't get eaten goes to the animals and back into the soil, it's a bit tragic that we don't savour what's left after the birds, insects etc 😂 I'm glad I haven't lost my passion for food production. The next logical step is to get excited about preparing food again. I already had a few days of menu planning/shopping list prepared. No reason not to pick up where I left off, but I 100% understand where your coming from and if I'm in risk of relapsing I'll watch my expectations of myself. I'm a bit fired up not to let what's happening in my family right now not throw me off kilter anymore then it did.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:58 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
lol, that's what I do, too. I even spray them with soapy water.
Now that's pretty hard core!
Old 04-01-2022, 07:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Now that's pretty hard core!
well, I've been known to dig stuff out of the trash.

I'm assuming that's why you pour them out of the bag? I just squirt some soapy water into the bag. Same/same.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Yikes, a neighbour who bring biscuits/cookies round. Move house

Couldn’t the cookies be put to better use. Rather than baking too many, can’t they be boxed and used for charitable purposes?
Old 04-01-2022, 05:49 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Same as dousing cigarettes. Which I'm happy to report have not smoked for 3 months, now. I think I've got it.

I'll buy a box box of cookies.