Notices

Feeling like a Spring cleanse? ~ Weekenders 25-28 March 2022

Old 03-27-2022, 10:57 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Mothering Sunday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday

I remember at church being given a tiny posy of white flowers to give to my mother; also having a piece of Simnel cake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simnel_cake

The day is also known as Refreshment Sunday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refreshment_Sunday

I have a 1930s cookbook with a recipe for individual patty-pan size Simnel cakes, delicious, and I love making traditional foods.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:14 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm a big baseball fan. Jays coach charged with DUI Friday in Florida. He wouldn't do the breathalyzer but failed field sobriety test. Was speeding some insane amount. Judging by the pic he was hammered.

Lot of people saying he should be fired......I dont think firing is the answer but man what a stupid thing and a guy with all the money in the world, could've hired a private driver to take him around and get loaded.

But I know too alcohol messes your judgment up. All I can say is I hope he gets help bc he may not be an alcoholic but clearly has some problems with it.

Lucky no one was killed.

Thing is I don't know if he can come back to Canada with a DUI conviction. Of course he can afford the best lawyers so maybe they will get it to a lesser charge.

So stupid and so unnecessary. Im very grateful no one was hurt.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:16 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Mothering Sunday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothering_Sunday

I remember at church being given a tiny posy of white flowers to give to my mother; also having a piece of Simnel cake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simnel_cake

The day is also known as Refreshment Sunday: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refreshment_Sunday

I have a 1930s cookbook with a recipe for individual patty-pan size Simnel cakes, delicious, and I love making traditional foods.
Simnel cake looks lovely but I'm putting on weight just looking at it! I have a vague memory of having simnel cake as a child but can't remember having any as an adult.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:17 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsmaria View Post
I'm a big baseball fan. Jays coach charged with DUI Friday in Florida. He wouldn't do the breathalyzer but failed field sobriety test. Was speeding some insane amount. Judging by the pic he was hammered.

Lot of people saying he should be fired......I dont think firing is the answer but man what a stupid thing and a guy with all the money in the world, could've hired a private driver to take him around and get loaded.

But I know too alcohol messes your judgment up. All I can say is I hope he gets help bc he may not be an alcoholic but clearly has some problems with it.

Lucky no one was killed.

Thing is I don't know if he can come back to Canada with a DUI conviction. Of course he can afford the best lawyers so maybe they will get it to a lesser charge.

So stupid and so unnecessary. Im very grateful no one was hurt.
Wow. What a mess. On so many levels.
I hope he can turn this around, and I hope he does it publicly so he can be a positive example.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:52 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Of course, Mags! I was a mum to my bird. They are our family.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:15 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

For Lent this year I have given up.
Old 03-27-2022, 05:27 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Samantha

Missed this thread. Got a new phone and so I was logged out and couldn't remember my sign in, I haven't been logged out in so long! Glad to be back. Stayed sober this weekend
Old 03-27-2022, 09:55 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good to see you Samantha: wave:

Caramel I love the sound of Simnel cake, I can smell it, weirdly.

Thanks Leshar. …… we've had some high profile people drunk/drugs in charge of a vehicle. Some have turned their lives around.

Kaily, how’s Alfie and Daisy enjoying this weather? Hope you got your decorating finished.

A churchyard we pass on the way to mum in law’s. It’s right on the river bank and has a lot of passerby’s.

Love and hugs Weekenders xxxx

Old 03-27-2022, 10:26 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

End of Day 134 - Ran 4.3 miles, felt great. Congrats to all milestones. Good night from Seattle.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:29 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

Goodnight calmself, congratulations on 134
Old 03-28-2022, 12:31 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 134 calmself and well done on running 4.3 miles. I couldn't even walk that distance!
Old 03-28-2022, 01:29 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, we are having a 'system upgrade' this morning which should have been completed by 9am. Maybe they forgot the clocks went forward yesterday.

My part of London and I think the rest of it was blanketed in thick fog this morning. How stereotypical is that?

Good to see you anxiousrock!
Old 03-28-2022, 01:49 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post

A little slice of Spring Time bloom from our home. It is called a Bottle Brush Tree.

Love to all.

nice tree SL - do you get any parrots feeding on it?

D
Old 03-28-2022, 05:39 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

SoberLeigh, that's a beautiful tree.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:15 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Congratulations on day 134 calmself and well done on running 4.3 miles. I couldn't even walk that distance!
Thanks, Robbie! It was hard for me in the beginning. Got better as I worked on it. If I can do it, you will do even better!!
Old 03-28-2022, 10:31 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Got thousands of them BB trees around my 'burb.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:13 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I've not heard of a bottle brush tree before but it looks very pretty.

I've had a few annoying cravings this afternoon. They keep coming and going, admittedly going more than coming but they are unsettling me a little bit. I'm on day 6 and it's usually about now they start. I had none at all until around 1pm. It's after 7pm now. I've just had some food so that had lessenned them to some degree. I might go for a walk later though I'm not keen on walking around the area where I live when it gets dark, which will be in about half an hour.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Thankfully I got out for a while yesterday. I should vacuum today, but I've been feeling emotionally pretty lousy these days, I may just take the "day off".
So grateful for all of you and the wonderful support shared here. Sao, you always make me smile, thanks for your humor and Rule 62.
Love and peace to all. Have a wonderful day. Mags, thinking of you and Mr. Mags. Hoping you are coping with Mr. M's mom well. You really are an angel and must have a lot of energy. This gig with my mom is wearing me out in a big way.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:46 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Pretty tree - thanks for the photo. I had a sad encounter on my evening walk. A homeless addict I recognised was begging on the street holding a sign saying 'just out of hospital'. What chance does he have if he's right back where he started from?

A few months ago I bumped into a young man I'd met in the rooms, also begging on the street. I enquired as to his welfare and he said he'd been offered a place in rehab the coming week and would be OK. A day later, the rehab in question closed. Again, what chance?

Sorry for the sombre post but I guess it's a case of 'there but for the Grace of God...' for us all.

All the best. Forwards.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:31 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I know just how hard those cravings are to dismiss Robbie but going for a walk is a great idea. That was worked for me. The AV is persistent but easily displaced by activity.

Thank you Aly.

That's such a shame about those addicts Forwards, there appears to be little or no money for treating addiction which is short sighted imo as treatment is a lot cheaper than hospital and if people can turn their lives around (like you) then they will become contributers too as well as having much happier lives which is a good reason in itself.