Notices

First social meeting / challenge after 2 years

Old 03-25-2022, 04:25 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Well done.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:26 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Well done CS. I'm glad it all worked out. You had a plan and worked the plan and next time it will be comparatively less stressful.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:30 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

“Looking slimmer…” and then “… gym …”

Sounds like you had the best Friday out of anyone in the office.

Well done 👍
Old 03-25-2022, 04:53 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things went well, Calmself.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:55 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

me too CS
D
Old 03-25-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good Work!

Don't worry it gets easier.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:07 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thank you all!
Old 03-26-2022, 12:28 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
RAL

So glad it all went well and you didn't drink CS.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:36 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

CS, So how do you feel today? Does anything seem different? Are there any changes to your recovery plan going forward? I just asked because occasions like yours changed me when they happened, not that I ever changed my ultimate goal to never drink again. Mostly, they changed how I felt about myself, and what I understood about who I was.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:00 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

^ another question could be how do the colleagues feel this morning?

It’s a beautiful spring day here. I’ve already been out to help out at a running event and a coffee with friends in the sunshine. The drinkers will be nursing hangovers
Old 03-26-2022, 08:00 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I gained strength from every time I was around alcohol and Didn't Drink.

I'm glad you had this (enlightening) experience and that it turned out well.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:28 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
CS, So how do you feel today? Does anything seem different? Are there any changes to your recovery plan going forward? I just asked because occasions like yours changed me when they happened, not that I ever changed my ultimate goal to never drink again. Mostly, they changed how I felt about myself, and what I understood about who I was.
Feel great waking up fresh like Hodd said. No pounding headache, dry foul smelling breath, guilt, breakdown in confidence that I don't have self control.

Having said that I am still going to try and avoid social gatherings as much as possible where drinking is involved. To highlight an important point, yesterday was with colleagues who are generally formal. What would have happened if I had met with a bunch of close friends? Very hard to predict.

Also I learned the greatest answer is "No. I am not drinking today". Assertive, positive, non judgemental, cannot be probed, just a solid honest answer.

Otherwise I feel super good about myself. But one thing to let you guys know.I ate hell lot of Mac n cheese, corn bread + sweet butter to overcome the anxiety.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Another big cheers from me cs!
Old 03-26-2022, 11:56 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Cornbread? Mac n cheese? Some joker started a compulsive thread yesterday

But hey, as well as all the other downsides, alcohol is the biggest calorie culprit of the lot. Within reason, you can eat a lot more now you’re sober, plus you can burn those food calories off, no harm done. As I’m finding now, there need to be a balance here, so don’t go too mad on the cornbread
Old 03-26-2022, 12:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
I am still going to try and avoid social gatherings as much as possible where drinking is involved. To highlight an important point, yesterday was with colleagues who are generally formal. What would have happened if I had met with a bunch of close friends? Very hard to predict.
Avoidance was the strategy I used most of the time. Escape plans were for extraordinary "can't get out of events." But cruising through one of those without incident is a confidence builder.

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Also I learned the greatest answer is "No. I am not drinking today". Assertive, positive, non judgemental, cannot be probed, just a solid honest answer.
That assertive attitude is a powerful skill that carries us through more than just gatherings. It also shuts down those nostalgic thoughts about alcohol that enter our conscious thoughts from time to time.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:30 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Ti
Old 03-26-2022, 02:38 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Cornbread? Mac n cheese? Some joker started a compulsive thread yesterday

But hey, as well as all the other downsides, alcohol is the biggest calorie culprit of the lot. Within reason, you can eat a lot more now you’re sober, plus you can burn those food calories off, no harm done. As I’m finding now, there need to be a balance here, so don’t go too mad on the cornbread
Sorry auto typed the previous post. That was a good thread by the way!!! Agree should find ways to cut down on sugar.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:38 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Avoidance was the strategy I used most of the time. Escape plans were for extraordinary "can't get out of events." But cruising through one of those without incident is a confidence builder.

That assertive attitude is a powerful skill that carries us through more than just gatherings. It also shuts down those nostalgic thoughts about alcohol that enter our conscious thoughts from time to time.
Agree with both your points!!
Old 03-27-2022, 05:33 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Samantha

Can you be honest with them and say you aren't comfortable with it? Some people are understanding of how hard it is for alcoholics to be around booze like that.
If not play the covid card - not comfortable being around people in that setting?
or you could do exactly what you say and slip out early....that's normally my go to.