Notices

Fog is lifting

Old 03-19-2022, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Fog is lifting

Hello from beautiful Kansas!

Yesterday we had sleet and tremendous wind, but today dawned bright, clear, and calm. I woke up at 5:30am from a bad dream, but I still managed 7 hours of sleep and felt well-rested. Nothing like a bad dream to make you grateful for your reality? 🤔

This morning I watched the sunrise over the lake with a hot cup of coffee and my lazy basset hound, Watson. Read a bit. My boys woke up late, then made pancakes (and a huge mess!) with me. They are watching cartoons and playing with LEGO now, but we’ll head out for a bike ride in a bit.

Today is my day 25, and I am beginning to actually feel hopeful, rather than just reading, crying, and praying for hope. I have some energy. I’m identifying triggers and faithfully saying “NO” to the AV when it pops up. I have a meeting tonight with a couple of older gentlemen who’ve lived sober for over 75 years (combined), and I look forward to checking in with them.

We are getting our house ready to list (which kind of sucks), but we saw a much more affordable place yesterday that would actually be wonderful. I am excited instead of terrified.

Don’t get me wrong, there is still much damage to repair in my professional and personal relationships. There are still financial issues to work out. But I can do that when I don’t drown my drive in chemicals.

Today I am so grateful to be sane and sober. Today I am proud of myself and hopeful for my future.

Thank you Lord, for giving me everything that I need! Thank you for blessing me, even when I don’t deserve it!

Love to all my working/suffering/making it friends here on SR.
-TC
Old 03-19-2022, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, it's good to read that things are moving in the right direction and that you are beginning to feel the benefits of sobriety. Enjoy your bike ride!

The title of your thread reminds me of the name of one of the AA group meetings in the area where I live - Foglifters. I've not been but it's apparently one of the best attended meetings in the area.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hang in there. The addiction morphs. It still gets after me trying to get me to relapse.

For us folks that want to quit drinking each new day is a wonderful victory.

I remember being addicted and going into work hungover, or getting ready to go on vacation and drinking like a fish the night before.

Going through airports hungover was terrible. The whole thing turned into a nightmare. Even when I quit for a few days, I knew it was just a matter of time before I had a huge binge. The binges could last for a day to a few days. Getting way to drunk every day. It was hell on earth.

So now I deal with life so much better with much more freedom. Freedom of going for it because the real me is mostly showing through.