Notices

I am really struggling today

Old 03-11-2022, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post I am really struggling today

Hi Everyone,

I have not had a sip of alcohol since I was on vacation which was Wednesday afternoon, I cracked when I was in the Bahamas. Since I got back I have gone through the night sweats for a few nights and the irritability and a few panic attacks. I am now on day 8 and I woke up this morning wanting a drink like a glass of water after running. My mind tells me to run and get a six pack but then I just look at my list of all the reasons I don't want to drink like my internal organs, how ill feel the next day, waking up in the middle of the night thinking im having a heart attack.

Has anyone experienced this? I told myself it was normal for the first 5 full days because any trace of alcohol is leaving my body but on day 8 as soon as I wake up?

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2022, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello, Flyer.......I have supervised the detox of many alcoholics. Some of what you share is confusing (to me...lol). Today is Friday, March 11. You say that your last drink was on Wednesday.....that was only 2 days ago?? Yet, you say that you are on day 8, right now of no drink. Can you clear this up for me.
Keep in mind that every single person is different due to so many different variables in each case.

From what you have shared, I suggest that you go to a private doctor's office and discuss your entire situation with him/her. The doctor can examine you and advise you on how to manage your detox from here on out. Whether you could use closely supervised inpatient medical attention----or whether it can be managed on an outpatient basis by the doctor. Sometimes, medications are prescribed for your comfort and safety when the detox is managed by outpatient ( meaning at home).

Yes, it is, in my experience possible to run into problems as late as 8 days out--or even longer, depending on the particular situation of a person.
Remember that you can and should go to an ER if your symptoms begin to worsen.

Why are yoou trying to do this without any help. There is no need to suffer or to run into dangerous medical problems---as help is available. It is always the smarter thing to do to take all the help you can get.

I, also, suggest that you get yourself to a meeting---AA or something similar. Putting down the bottle is only the first baby step toward sobriety. An important one, Yes---but, still the first step in the overall picture.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would agree with dandlion, speak to your GP, and get meds to detox safely. You don't have to do it alone, and it can be dangerous.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 03-11-2022, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Thanks for the replies! I have to jump into a meeting but my last drink was last Wednesday which would make today day 8. My doctor did give me Ativan and I am thinking about taking that. I have to jump to a meeting but I will explain more shortly. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-11-2022, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Flyersfan, I moved your post from Friends & Family to Newcomers. It's normal to have cravings in early recovery, though they should ease up as time goes by. It might help to make a list of things you can do to deal with cravings when they occur. I think having patience in early recovery is essential. Stay on course and it will get better.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sorry for posting in the wrong area. Yeah the cravings went away after I was done with my work meetings.

You guys are awesome, I appreciate everyone
Old 03-11-2022, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the awesome response. I am talking to a therapist about this but I am not going to AA but would be open to doing that since everything is reopened now.

I am still staying strong, just found it weird that for the last three days I had no cravings and today it was bad.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah cravings come and go especially early on.
It will get better
Old 03-11-2022, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FF

a lot of people find cravings return stronger after a relapse. I'm really glad you didn't give in and you feel better now.
I'm not sure what you do to maintain your recovery but it might be worth thinking about what you could add right now?

D
Old 03-11-2022, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 10 was usually the end of it for me. All good after that.