SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Freaking out (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/457986-freaking-out.html)

Autonoetic 03-10-2022 04:23 PM

Freaking out

Hey guys, finally went to the doc and got blood work done … I was totally honest. I just saw the bloodwork results on the portal and they are all screwed up, severe vitamin D deficiency, super high cholesterol etc … what freaks me out is they didn’t post the liver panel results which makes me think the liver numbers show something horrible so they’re holding those back until my follow up on Wednesday so they can talk to me about them before I see them. Getting some serious anxiety that this is truly bad.

Could use some encouraging stories if anyone has some to share…

VikingGF 03-10-2022 04:35 PM

Your blood work can be kind of a mess when you have been drinking for a long time- D, B vitamins, magnesium can all be low (personal experience!). They can be replenished! Don't worry about what you don't know yet. You have already done the best thing for yourself by not drinking any longer- take it all one day at a time. Liver panel may not be back yet- so don't be alarmed, they are different tests.

Autonoetic 03-10-2022 04:56 PM

Thanks Viking! I try not to worry but I have a ton of anxiety. That helps to know that they are different tests and may come back at different times, I didn’t know that. I gotta stop worrying so much and just deal with whatever comes when it happens I guess … I appreciate the kind words

Dee74 03-10-2022 05:00 PM

Hi Autonoetic :)
Try not to worry too much - the vast majority of us find that our health returns to good once we stop drinking.

The body is great at repairing itself, within reason - there have been people here with some serious liver issues who have turned things around :)

I think the likelihood is, if your liver numbers were really bad, you'd know about it by now?

D

Anna 03-10-2022 05:00 PM

I think it's hard to look at the results of blood tests and to decipher what that really means. It will probably be less scary when explained by a doctor. Hang in there till your appointment and let us know what you learn.

Steely 03-10-2022 05:05 PM

Take it a day at a time until Wednesday Autonoetic, and remind yourself every single one of those days that you are no longer drinking and improving your health in best way possible. Hallelujah!

I agree with Viking that liver panel may not be back yet, and even if doctor does want to talk with you may well be to give you the word that drinking is not good for your liver. Education stuff. Encourage, reinforce, your decision to stop.

The liver is an amazing organ and bounces back when we look after it. By not drinking you are doing that very thing. Onwards.

Hevyn 03-10-2022 05:35 PM

Auto - I agree with the others - try not to awfulize.
I drank nearly 30 yrs. I had zero health issues from it once I accrued some sober time.

RecklessDrunk 03-10-2022 05:39 PM

I had court hanging over my head when I first got sober. felony drug, dwi, bunch of lesser stuff as well. It took 4 months for the outcome which was about as good as i could have hoped for. No way the judge would have been that cool if I didn't show up with several months of sobriety.

It was a good introduction for me to learning how to live life on life's terms. I'm in a lot of trouble but how do I move on from here? I have no control over what kind of judge and prosecutor or what they might do even if I show up sober. I tried to just keep doing the next right thing. Just be grateful for what I have. God, nature, a great spirit, whatever anybody calls it. Something other then me is in control of the World happening around me. I let go and learned to stay in the present instead of that constant regret of the past and fear of the future.

advbike 03-10-2022 07:05 PM

It's the madness of alcoholic anxiety. I also tend to catastrophize. I'm 67 now and rarely see a doc, but when I was in the midst of my worst drinking in my 40's, I was always worried about one thing or another and the doc finally asked me if I was drinking too much, simply based on all my fear, anxiety, and imagined symptoms. Turns out I was fine and I suspect you will be too. The secret is to lay off the booze - it really does increase the anxiety levels.

Mummyto2 03-10-2022 11:04 PM

Try not to worry about it until it's there in front of you in black and white, otherwise you will worry yourself stupid, you cant change what will happen on Wednesday good or not so good, it could be a completly different reason you didn't see it, could you not phone them and say its worrying you could they tell you etc or bring the appointment forward. Fingers crossed for you.

RAL 03-11-2022 01:42 AM

Can you maybe call your doc today and explain your anxiety and concerns. I'm sure they will understand and help put your mind at rest.