Notices

This just in! Drinking makes you stupid!

Old 03-09-2022, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This just in! Drinking makes you stupid!

Check out this article.

https://www.axios.com/a-drink-a-day-...0185f984f.html
Old 03-09-2022, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KAD65 View Post
These kind of articles I take with a grain of salt, because they often reference studies that rely on self-reporting and turn iffy correlations from them into click-baity headlines. I’d be curious to see the methodology for this one. Having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised a daily dose of low-grade poison (even a moderate one) causes some negative long-term effects to the brain and body. The studies that a daily glass is “good for you” because of antioxidants are even more bogus.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I actually read that. Thank god for stupid. Just imagine how horrible life would be if you understood everything that was going on around you.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I actually read that. Thank god for stupid. Just imagine how horrible life would be if you understood everything that was going on around you.
I must not have drank enough then because I understand a lot more of it than I ever wanted to!

Just kidding, really. I drank way too much for way too long. I know these "studies" are always pretty subjective and leave me wondering about the true motives behind them.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by KAD65 View Post
Just kidding, really. I drank way too much for way too long. I know these "studies" are always pretty subjective and leave me wondering about the true motives behind them.
Sometimes subjective or anecdotal is all we have, or the best we can do, but it's always good to keep in mind that it is subjective or risk not opening up to the objective when it becomes available. But I don't want to get too pedantic here. What I liked about your post was the title of the thread:

Now think about those people you met in the bar who were struggling to collect their thoughts over things as simple as whether they preferred cats or dogs. Or the people you didn't get to know, because they were face down on the bar, and had not yet fallen on the floor. Then put resubmit your original argument that "drinking makes you stupid." That was good enough for me.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be surprised if over time a drink a day reduced brain volume. Probably just takes longer than what we see in the cadaver brains of people with Wernike's Encephalopathy, etc.