Notices

Day 11 Losing my social mojo !

Old 03-06-2022, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 Losing my social mojo !

So Day 11. - no desire to drink but ever vigilant ! I was supposed to meet my friend in the park today but she cancelled and I was SO RELIEVED ! I like her a lot and it would have been fun (over tea) but I was glad I didn’t have to go. Part of this is because people ask after my son (out of nosiness rather than a desire to help I have concluded ) and I don’t know what to answer them . I’m happy puttering around my flat, cooking and gardening on my balcony . But I know this is dangerous as ‘connection is the opposite of addiction’ as they say so I have to get a grip. Weather doesn’t help. It’s freezing cold !
Old 03-06-2022, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RAL

For me in the early days it's just so important to do what feels right for you. Not what you think you should be doing. If you're more comfortable pottering about at home then theres nothing wrong with that
Old 03-06-2022, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That feeling of wanting to socially hibernate for a while is one I recognise - I think it's sometimes too much to deal with other people - especially in early recovery. Personally I love pottering around at home and I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
I hope things with your son are ok, or as ok as they can be. It sounds like such a difficult and emotionally draining situation. You are doing really well, and things do get easier/better. Thinking of you.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you dear Dusty. Things are Ok in the sense that I don’t have any contact with him . Although I have been supported by a couple of dear friends, there are others who want to know all the gory details so they can gossip.. I know this as people I have never mentioned the situation to ask me about it. :-(
Old 03-06-2022, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ICAN - I have sent you a message.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ican, nothing wrong with avoiding social stress in the beginning.. some of us really have to do that, so put yourself first!

The key in early sobriety is to get comfortable with.. sobriety! Just chilling and being with our sober selves.

No need to seek out situations that "test us", or create anxiety, or tempt us to drink.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ican, I also think that you should do what feels good and right to you in the early days. Don't worry about the 'I shoulds'.

As for your son, you could say that you haven't had recent contact with him or you could say that things are fine. Then, gently change the subject.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, not sure about what's happening with you're son, but i hope you're mojo is back today 👍
Old 03-07-2022, 01:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Ican - this is super normal, hang in there and it’ll get better for sure.

The way I see it, to have a nice social interaction it happens if we feel comfortable with ourselves, which I think takes a little time once alcohol is removed and our perspectives on who we are change accordingly.

Stay strong there, you can do it!