Notices

Day 8 Feeling down …

Old 03-03-2022, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 Feeling down …

I am feeling very down today .. I can’t attribute it to anything specific but perhaps just to the state of the world in general. I know Ukraine isn’t ‘my’ problem but because of the nature of my work (international health) I have found myself in situations of heavy gunfire and artillery fire three times … obviously escaped alive (duh!) but is as scary as hell and I just feel so so sorry for the folks in Kyiv who just over a week ago were going about their normal business ! I’m not sleeping well, waking up to look at Twitter etc as was so bothered about bombs heading to the railway station where women and children were sheltering (luckily they were intercepted) ..I see a lot of humanitarian disasters first hand through my work but this one is so damn evil ! But as usual I find solace in cooking. Tonight baked aubergine salad …
Mods, if this is considered politics, please remove …
Old 03-03-2022, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this, ive stopped watching the news every day and got rid of my Facebook because for me they have a big impact on my emotions, in the early stages of recovery im like a rollercoaster (up and down) tomorrow is a new day, hope you feel better.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feel better Ican…
Old 03-03-2022, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel somewhat similar with the situation in the Ukraine Ican. Stupid, psychopathic old men sending in the tanks! People suffering needlessly. I think it would be weird it didn't impact on us.

Keep cooking Ican.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry you feel down ICDT.
There’s a lot of things in the world I can’t do anything about, but pray…but there’s also a lot I can do, for myself, family, friends and neighbours today.

Try and stay on the sunny side

D
Old 03-03-2022, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’ll try but I don’t see a sunny side here at all, only things getting worse. But it’s not ‘my’ problem personally obviously but if, like me, you’ve been in conflict zones, pre-humanitarian assistance, it’s horrendous .. To this day, I can’t abide fireworks.. the sound is triggering .. but enough gloom … my roasted aubergine salad was very good ! :-)
Old 03-03-2022, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay strong Icandothis2013. Pain sucks but its a part of life. Everyone goes through it to different degrees.

With Ukraine - just remember how blessed you are compared to people who are less fortunate. Live the life they wish they had the opportunity to. That means of course - don't drink...
Old 03-03-2022, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't mean there's a 'sunny side' to the current conflict.
I have to find things to be thankful for, every day tho

D
Old 03-03-2022, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know Dee ! I didn’t think for a minute think you meant that .., there is however a sunny side to my yummy roast aubergine salad ! :-)
Old 03-03-2022, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is indeed a sad situation Ican, and my heart goes out to those brave people of Ukraine. The best I can do is to stay informed on the situation and try to help in anyway I can personally (sending relief funds, not voting for autocrats, calling my elected representatives to voice my concern about the situation, etc). These small, indirect acts, if practiced by all those who feel they have no power, can lead to real change.

Keep on cooking though!
Old 03-03-2022, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The situation in Ukraine is horrific and it is like watching a nightmare unfold without being able to do anything.
Being informed and aware, and helping in what ever way, is all we can do, and pray, if you have a faith. I am sure you're own work ICAN makes watching this situation very real to you and harder to watch, bringing back difficult memories. Emotions in recovery are pretty raw anyway, I am sure this adds to your feeling of gloom. I hope your therapeutic cooking helps lift your spirits a little.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

There is no problem that relapsing can't make worse.

The best way is to let the mind and body normalize with what is left.

I don't know anything about war and or death. I have only ever seen a few dead people and all but 1 were in a funeral.

All the horrors of war I have witnessed are on TV and the internet.

Prayers.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling better today ican, have a great weekend.
Old 03-03-2022, 11:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better Ican. Distraction will help. It’s wall to wall on the news so best not to watch too much of it. I’ve found this over the last two years.
I only go on Facebook now and again to ‘like’ a few pictures and wish people a happy birthday etc. I look at Twitter, but when I feel it’s getting too much I leave the phone in another room.

Self care!

Enjoy the cooking 👍🏼