Notices

Healing the brain

Old 02-24-2022, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Healing the brain

Hi all. 109 days sober. How long does it typically take for the brain to heal or get back to “normal”. I understand it may never heal completely and that medical advice cannot be given.

I just feel so dumb these days. I have a hard time remembering words. I feel like I cannot hold an intellectual conversation. Doing tasks such as preparing our business and personal taxes are overwhelming. I emailed my accountant a question and for the life of me could not understand her response. Is it just me? Will things get better?
Old 02-24-2022, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me things started to get better from 90 days Jillian, so I hope you're seeing some improvement from the first few weeks?
The brain can repair itself in most cases - not as quick as we may like - but it happens.
I have faith you'll be OK

D
Old 02-24-2022, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go on 109 days! I can't recall how long it took for my brain to feel fully functional again, but it will happen. I think I'm significantly older than you are, so my memory isn't what it used to be even on a good day!
Old 02-24-2022, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I can’t really tell a difference yet. Maybe I need to read more or something. Watching jeopardy now 🤣
Old 02-24-2022, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jillian, I'm still feeling pretty shaky sometimes with the memory and concentration- it was getting better and then got pretty bad again. I do not try to multi-task right now. I lose my place in conversations and my word-finding is pretty shaky. I set a lot of timers and reminders on my watch or phone. I help other people who have memory loss and language difficulty as my profession- so I know the strategies, it's just disconcerting that I need them! I know it's the effects of long-term drinking and am just being patient until it gets better. Just hang in there and keep going. It's annoying for sure, but from the reading I've done here, it will improve. Congrats on 109 days!
Old 02-24-2022, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Supposedly exercise helps a lot.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Jillian, the symptoms you describe fall into the list of symptoms of PAWS, for Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It's not an illness as such, but a collection of symptoms people sometimes have after getting sober and getting thru the physical withdrawal.

I had problems with memory and my fingers were clumsy. I couldn't concentrate on a task, my mind kept wandering. The annoying symptoms diminished with more sober time. By a year sober they weren't so bothersome.

Only thing I can advise is simple - rest, exercise, good food. Be kind to yourself and trust that it will get better. And congrats on reaching 109 days sober!
Old 02-24-2022, 07:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are several phases of improvement in cognitive function after cessation of drinking, Jillian. I don't have the chart in front of me but will look for it. However I can tell you that 4 months is still fairly early days, and right in the commonly known period for PAWS symptoms to occur, as Least mentioned. I would suspect you have some of that going on. The general research has indicated that brain healing can go on for up to two years, with most of that in the first year.

I want to stress however that it is always best to choose an active approach, whenever the brain is involved. Do not simply wait for changes to occur. Recent research has shown that he brain is plastic and can be "re-wired" but a passive approach won't do it. Before getting into specifics, remember that a healthy diet, exercise, and adequate sleep is the most important and effective place to start.

An active approach would include direct mental stimulation - reading, crossword puzzles, word games, math exercises and abstract reasoning. Also physical stimulation through exercise, as Freedom Fries mentioned. Numerous studies have shown vigorous aerobic exercise to not only benefit the heart, but the brain also, due to the increased blood flow. I cycle and hike at least 6-8 hours per week and I also took a B vitamin complex every other day in early sobriety, since alcoholics are often B Vitamin deficient.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Interesting thread!
I too suffer from brain fog and my memory is shot. This isn’t good as I have a job which requires complex thought processes and boy do I struggle sometimes.

I do a lot of exercise and I eat very clean, sleep is also ok but not perfect. These things have definitely helped me. I’m still struggling with concentration, but I’m trying to wean myself off my phone and pick up a book again. That should help.

It seems patience is the key whilst proactively trying to stimulate the brain. I hope it improves for you soon x
Old 02-24-2022, 11:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on 109 days, not sure if it helps but there are online games for brain training, our friend does these because there is dementia in his family, i also forget words etc, not sure if its age or the poison, could be both.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
There are several phases of improvement in cognitive function after cessation of drinking, Jillian. I don't have the chart in front of me but will look for it. However I can tell you that 4 months is still fairly early days, and right in the commonly known period for PAWS symptoms to occur, as Least mentioned. I would suspect you have some of that going on. The general research has indicated that brain healing can go on for up to two years, with most of that in the first year.

I want to stress however that it is always best to choose an active approach, whenever the brain is involved. Do not simply wait for changes to occur. Recent research has shown that he brain is plastic and can be "re-wired" but a passive approach won't do it. Before getting into specifics, remember that a healthy diet, exercise, and adequate sleep is the most important and effective place to start.

An active approach would include direct mental stimulation - reading, crossword puzzles, word games, math exercises and abstract reasoning. Also physical stimulation through exercise, as Freedom Fries mentioned. Numerous studies have shown vigorous aerobic exercise to not only benefit the heart, but the brain also, due to the increased blood flow. I cycle and hike at least 6-8 hours per week and I also took a B vitamin complex every other day in early sobriety, since alcoholics are often B Vitamin deficient.
Thank you!! Surprisingly my B12 is normal per blood work. I have all kinds of blood work done to see “what’s wrong with me” and it all comes back normal! Crazy huh? Lol

I am trying to work on these - especially exercise and food. Spring seems like it’s coming early so that will definitely help with the motivation.

Another thing I’ve noticed I lack it excitement! Like we do things as a family and fun things but I don’t get that “feeling”, ya know? I’m sure that’s sue to my chemical levels being altered in the past so hopefully will even out soon too.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplySue View Post
I’m still struggling with concentration, but I’m trying to wean myself off my phone and pick up a book again. That should help.
I find myself addicted to my phone as well. Not only that but use it and another phone for business purposes. Ugh.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jillian, you might find something of interest in these threads re PAWS:

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 2

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 3

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad Part 4

It's always helpful to read of others' experiences and to know that hope lies ahead.
Best wishes.