Notices

Sunshine after the storm ~ Weekenders 25 - 28 February 2022

Old 02-23-2022, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome!

It’s been a week, weather wise! Storms, Floods, heavy snow, freezing temperatures and much rain for many of us around the earth.

I was watching a downpour of heavy rain, deluging everything in a few seconds in the garden, wondering and hoping the new growth of buds will survive the storms.

The snowdrops and aconites have lived through worse. Tulips and daffodils are springing up…can they weather the storms?

Once the bad weather passes it will be easier for them.

As in recovery, mine was very stormy for a while, I felt I was fighting with everything I could muster, going through withdrawals and av (addictive voice) screaming in my head.

I felt some days I held on like the budding daffodils.

Suddenly the ‘internal’ storm lifted, I could ‘breathe’ and grow in my sobriety.

It can feel like a storm inside when we stop drinking. Indeed it can often feel easier to give in to it than stand firm against it.

It gets easier, it really does. Many of us here are a testament to that.

If you’re thinking you want to get sober, give it a go. We’re here to support you along the way.

I will be here along with many others, all of us ex drunks and alcoholics. We are your scouts and can tell you what is on the trail ahead so you can be ready for any obstacles. I can tell you to come on!

It is rocky and slippery but if you focus on where you place each step, you will have no trouble getting to where I am on the trail.

All of us can tell you where the potholes are, bumps in the road, and the slippery places, but we can't walk your path for you. We can only take joy as you succeed, and cheer, one and all!

Old 02-23-2022, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks Mags

D
Old 02-23-2022, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent opening post, thanks Mags. I am the first one here yippeeee!
Old 02-23-2022, 09:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

calmself, are you calling shotgun?

Good night from freezing Seattle!
How cold does it have to be in Seattle to be "freezing"?

Happy Weekend to all, and may it be a sober one.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Least, its about 1c here! We are generally not used to much cold weather. Hopefully spring will come soon!!!!
Old 02-23-2022, 09:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on Shotgun calmself!
Old 02-24-2022, 12:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I'm IN for a sober weekend.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

HiRobbie, good to see you!
Old 02-24-2022, 12:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks mags.

I can't see the sun yet, it's raining. Clearly it hasn't seen your thread yet!

I got Wordle in 3 today.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Kaily. I saw the rain in London. I’m sure it’ll clear up…..eventually! 3 was good. It was a funny word.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, lovely opening. I'm in for a sober weekend!
Old 02-24-2022, 03:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sunshine after the storm, nice analogy Mags, thanks!

Another sober weekend and we're getting closer to spring!
_______
Have a good day weekenders! ☼

Old 02-24-2022, 03:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've just been for a lovely walk. It's nice to see the sun actually shining, even if it is quite cold outside. I'm quite surprised, but happy, that I was able to walk for almost an hour without getting out of breathe or my legs aching as I've not been for many walks so far this year. Here's a couple of photos that I took when I was in the village centre. The first is the local war memorial which I've posted photos of before. The second is the local church. It's been here in one form or another since at least 1132 (needless to say, the current church is a rebuild, though from as long ago as 1883!). Some of the headstones on and around the graves are from the 18th century. One of the headstones is that of a William Wood "who departed this life the 19th March 1741 aged 45 years". His wife (along with other family members) is also buried there, she lived until she was 78, which would have been a really old age back then. She died 5th March 1773. I love walking around old graveyards, I find it fascinating though some people probably find it a bit ghoulish...

Old 02-24-2022, 04:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful flower pictures Mags.

Robbie, I love the pictures of the memorial and church. Sounds like a nice walk.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fabulous opening Mags thank you so much!!

This will be my 45th sober weekend. I'm looking forward to catching up with friends and family. I also still love waking up hangover free and knowing what I said!! Yes I still sometimes think oops but at least I know I actually mean it and its not a drunken ridiculous thing!!

Its overcast and cold here today and chucking it down with hail. Yucky weather!!!!
Old 02-24-2022, 05:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lovely photos Robbie! I'm with you, I love walking around cemeteries. A lot of love, a lot of history and sadness too, when you read a headstone of a child or young person. But I find a stroll through a graveyard quite calming.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love churches and graveyards. My step dads parents used to take me on church visits so I could escape the 12 mile walks on holiday. I always find such peace and presence in churches and churchyards. I can sit and be completely at peace with my thoughts and feelings. I also find that it doesnt matter where the church is even on a busy road but as soon as you enter the church you are just enveloped in peace, calm and total silence. I love that feeling of just being able to be and concentrate on the silence.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mags, dear one!
Old 02-24-2022, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm IN! Thanks, Mags.
In a foul mood, so I won't say much, as to not be a downer. Current events, my job, it's all getting me down. But no drinking. Not even a thought of it or an option, I'm thankful to say.

There's some snow on my daffodils right now (metaphorically speaking) but I know they will be OK. They are just really stressed at the moment.

I also love walking in cemeteries. There's one really close to my house where many people I know are buried, including, sadly, several people I went to school with (I live in the town I spent my middle and high school years in). I will sometimes walk there and "talk" to them. It's sad, but being able to visit them somehow helps when I'm feeling overwhelmed in my own life.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry its not such a good day MLD. Hoping tomorrow will be better. I find talking to loved ones gone and God helps me immensely. It helps calm me and gives me peace xx