Notices

Dealing with stress...

Old 02-16-2022, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with stress...

Many people, when they have extremely stressful events in life, they drink to temporarily numb the pain. Obviously as alcoholics this is not an option for us, it will only make the situation much worse when we sober up. So I was wondering how many of you deal with stress, emotional pain, etc. It's something that has led me to relapse in the past and I'm sure many on here can relate.

As many of you know relapsing due to stress is a very real threat in early sobriety when many of our lives are a mess. I think it's important that we have proven tactics to use when stress comes because as you all know - just because we get clean doesn't mean our life will magically become perfect, it can be quite the opposite at sometimes.

Myself I like the a hard gym workout that leaves me exhausted, I like to write about what is stressing me out and some of the practical options, or watch a movie with popcorn/soda. Of course I can always sleep it off and try and deal with it the next day when I feel a little better.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find going for a walk helps me relax. Also I do try and practice mindfulness though I'm still on a learning curve for actually doing it properly. But on the occasions I have managed to do it properly it has worked wonders in relaxing me and reducing stress.

I've never been able to do something like watch a movie in order to relax, I have a short attention span and find my mind wandering after a short period of time.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m not sure about this. Do people drink because they’re stressed? It’s all a bit chicken and egg. As a drinker, I’d get stressed because I needed a drink. What an irony.

Think about people who’ve never drunk for religious reasons or whatever. They’ll get stressed too, but they’re not dependent on alcohol like we are/were.

In early withdrawal, I definitely craved for alcohol to “relieve stress”, but that was 99% craving for alcohol and 1% genuine stress. It’s such a myth that alcohol relaxes us.

Walking and gym are 100000 times better than booze.

Robbie, I’ve tried to break into the world of mindfulness with almost no success. I’m doing a weekend meditation retreat soon, and I’m not overly confident I’ll last I’ll go in with an open mind, so we’ll see.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Because something somewhere needs to be in smaller pieces.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just downloaded the calm app, it's really good, I keep saying I would like to start yoga and meditation, I just need to actually start it.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some ideas here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...44-stress.html (Stress)

D
Old 02-16-2022, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^ If you can get into yoga, it offers a real escape. Maybe a class or even one to one with an instructor would be an idea as it’s not easy.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
I find going for a walk helps me relax. Also I do try and practice mindfulness though I'm still on a learning curve for actually doing it properly. But on the occasions I have managed to do it properly it has worked wonders in relaxing me and reducing stress.

I've never been able to do something like watch a movie in order to relax, I have a short attention span and find my mind wandering after a short period of time.
Ditto to that.
I just take the dog outside for a long walk. In fact, that's what really helped me in the beginning of the sobriety journey. When I got a strong craving, I'd go walk for 15 or 20 minutes...helped stifle it.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in sobriety and felt stressed/craving a drink, I'd take my dogs for a walk. Even just 20 minutes walking with them relaxed my mind and put it in a better place. And I couldn't stay stressed for too long after watching them just 'being dogs', checking their peemail and looking at everything like it was brand new, even tho we always went the same route.