Notices

How I beat the voice!

Old 02-11-2022, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How I beat the voice!

Hi so thought I’d share how I beat the voice! The one that says drink you know you want to! That voice! Not good with the abriviations don’t want to get it wrong! Anyway! Mine stopped when I actually looked at the calories of alcohol! Struggled weight years it’s fine my body used the alcohol just cut back on food! NO! Actually look at it I thought I’m drinking vodka or gin not much! Oh wow is! Now I’m not drinking ( I’m from England ) I’m losing pound I’m saving pounds!! X
Old 02-11-2022, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’ve lost a stone!
Old 02-11-2022, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you've stopped drinking Riversong

D
Old 02-11-2022, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Riversong- You're losing pounds and saving pounds!!

Good for you stopping the roller coaster. Congrats!
Old 02-11-2022, 08:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats Riversong. There are so many reasons to quit and our physical health and fitness are two of the top reasons. So motivating.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you! But it’s crazy the years I tried to quit! Finally thought weight properly counting everything looked at how many calories even spirits the lowest calorie alcohol was and realised that’s why I’m not losing weight! It was a “ DOH “ moment every time I was tempted to drink instead of listening to the voice that said yes you want to thought how many calories will that be? Now in clothes I’ve not worn in 10 years! Do I still wake up fuzzy yes! Learning to sleep without the alcohol is harder than learning not to drink!!
Old 02-12-2022, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
Now in clothes I’ve not worn in 10 years! Do I still wake up fuzzy yes! Learning to sleep without the alcohol is harder than learning not to drink!!
Good for you Riversong!

I hear ya on the weight loss. About seven years ago I quit drinking for a couple of years and lost almost six stones. Unfortunately I went back to drinking, but at least I've only gained back about a stone.

Hoping you get your ability to sleep back soon. Have a great weekend.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep it up, River. It sounds like you’ve seen the light.

The calories in alcohol are considerable, but it also affects the metabolism. Our bodies have to get rid of the alcohol first as it’s a toxin, and everything else we’ve consumed has to wait.

Your weight loss will plateau in time, but it’ll stay the same as long as you don’t drink (and eat sensibly of course).

I’m in UK too. I lost 3 stone by changing my ways. I started running and realised that a can of beer equated to running about 3 miles. What an incentive!
Old 02-12-2022, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hodd it’s crazy isn’t it how much you have to do to burn off just one drink!! And empty calories! I’ve never felt better in my life! I don’t exercise unless you count long walks? But looking in the mirror not blurry and seeing my waist line! Don’t really care what the scales say just that I get in my clothes! Like I said before in clothes not worn for 10 years!! Do I get my five a day? Sometimes in one meal! Eg roast little bit meat roasted potatoes not counted! Roasted carrots parsnips onions then Brussels and broccoli! Yes I love Brussels and add bit grated cheese on top melted with gravy! Gorgeous!! And Hodd glad you doing well wish I could run like you!!
Old 02-12-2022, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations River. Svelte and sober! What a combo.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

^^ To be honest, River, that sounds like a very healthy lifestyle.

I’d lost the weight and knew i needed an incentive to keep it that way. I tried a couple of other sports but settled on triathlon. For my age group, I’m not quite last but I’m near the bottom but I don’t care. It’s a great supportive club I’m in, and I’m even improving. I recommend any ex-drinker gets a new interest to replace all that time they would’ve been drinking. You’ll have loads more time now, River. Needs to be filled. We’re way more capable than we think
Old 02-13-2022, 12:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on your stone weightloss Riversong and of course abstaining from booze.
The empty calories in alcohol are one of the MANY reasons I need to stay away from it.
In 2020 at the start of the pandemic I was 50lbs heavier from 1 - 2 bottles of wine a night and the inevitable munchies that follow.
I drank gin when I was trying to keep the calories a bit lower - delusional!
Especially the way I drink gin - I remember weighing one if my 'measures' on a food scale and it was over 100ml which is about 250 calories!
What I notice the most about my reflection when I'm not drinking is my face doesn't look like a massive bloated balloon.
Well done on your success
All the best
Old 02-13-2022, 07:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Overforty my stone lost is from my heaviest end of first lock down never been heavier! Weighed more than I did with both my pregnancies!!! Basically single mum locked down no support oh I will eat all day and drink all night!!!
oh and sleep still evades me! Now currently 3.27 uk time! No sleep yet!
Old 02-13-2022, 10:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Riversong

You and I are kindred spirits! The weight loss is one of my main drivers too!
At the start of 2020 I limped around a half marathon, heavier than I’d ever been in my life (when not nine months pregnant!)
When the lockdown came I started a health kick. No alcohol and a radical change to my diet. I learned all about insulin resistance and how the body reacts to sugar and stores fat. It was a revelation for me and I spent a great deal of time learning about metabolic health and how to properly nourish my body. I just wanted to be well in this era of nasty viruses! Good metabolic health means a robust immune system 💪

Since then I’ve lost 18 kilos and maintained it. I’ve had my relapses with drink in that time, and each time I do it I not only feel ghastly but I automatically gain a couple of kilos 🤦🏻‍♀️ I hate what it does to my body!

Old 02-14-2022, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Simplysue well done you that’s a amazing amount of weight to lose! Yeah since the pandemic started I’ve done everything to make sure I’m as healthy as possible! Make sure EVERY day get my five a day and taking some vitamins that help with immune system. I take b complex vitamin c and vitamin d only really get that one from sunlight and when cooped up indoors you don’t! So you went sober 2020 been a while now! Well done! Forget your relapses everyone has a wobble! Sure I will! Especially if I can’t get my sleep in order!! Can I ask did you have any sleep issue? If so how long until sleep settled down? X
Old 02-14-2022, 10:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riversong;[url=tel:7767149
7767149[/url]]Simplysue well done you that’s a amazing amount of weight to lose! Yeah since the pandemic started I’ve done everything to make sure I’m as healthy as possible! Make sure EVERY day get my five a day and taking some vitamins that help with immune system. I take b complex vitamin c and vitamin d only really get that one from sunlight and when cooped up indoors you don’t! So you went sober 2020 been a while now! Well done! Forget your relapses everyone has a wobble! Sure I will! Especially if I can’t get my sleep in order!! Can I ask did you have any sleep issue? If so how long until sleep settled down? X
Hi Riversong!

Thanks for the congrats! I’m currently on day 21 of sobriety but since March 2020 I have managed long periods of complete sobriety. I’m determined to make this a permanent state, which is why I landed here 👍🏼
I focused a lot of effort into keeping fit since covid. I too take lots of supplements and am really mindful of what I eat. I take D3 every day, you really need that living in the UK! I’m also B12 deficient ( diagnosed 2016) so I actually inject that every 6/8 weeks. I’d say my immune system is pretty strong now and were it not for the binges, I’d probably be healthier than I’ve ever been.
Sleep has always been a struggle though. And that has a massive affect on cortisol levels, which makes everything more difficult when it comes to weight management and general health. I rarely sleep past 5 am and I never get through the entire night without at least one wakeful period. I’d love to know how to manage that, but I’m a lot more chilled out about it these days. The only time I get stressed about sleep now is after drinking. Ugh, that’s the worst sleep you can get!
I exercise a lot now. Five days a week I do spin/yoga/pilates and I go on long walks too. I love waking up feeling calm and rested. I just wish I could get through an entire night! 😩
Old 02-16-2022, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Simplysue I would love to wake up at 5am most nights I’m lucky to be asleep by then! Gave up even trying before midnight! Then lay there just start to drift off by bladder says well if you going to sleep you better go for a wee! Repeat on cycle! That wakes me up! I do miss passing out on the sofa! Lol Your b12 deficiency can I ask you vegetarian/vegan very hard to get from a veggie lifestyle! I’m not veggie mum is was actually born veggie! And was very hard for my Nan back then explaining it! No I eat meat but not much!
Old 02-16-2022, 09:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riversong;[url=tel:7767919
7767919[/url]]Simplysue I would love to wake up at 5am most nights I’m lucky to be asleep by then! Gave up even trying before midnight! Then lay there just start to drift off by bladder says well if you going to sleep you better go for a wee! Repeat on cycle! That wakes me up! I do miss passing out on the sofa! Lol Your b12 deficiency can I ask you vegetarian/vegan very hard to get from a veggie lifestyle! I’m not veggie mum is was actually born veggie! And was very hard for my Nan back then explaining it! No I eat meat but not much!
No I’m not vegetarian or vegan. I have pernicious anaemia, which is an autoimmune disorder which prevents the body from absorbing b12 through the stomach. Since it was diagnosed and I inject the B12, I manage it without any issues. Interestingly, alcohol depletes B12 significantly so a lot of drinkers suffer the debilitating symptoms of deficiency.

That really sucks about your sleep patterns. Have you tried natural remedies? Lemon balm is a good one. Diet is really important too. Since I changed mine I’ve been way better sleeping. The bladder is a nightmare though! Never allows me a full night!