Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Getting Sober - It all begins and ends with ourselves - Weekenders 11 - 14 February 2022

Notices

Getting Sober - It all begins and ends with ourselves - Weekenders 11 - 14 February 2022

Old 02-12-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Mesaman, love those views! We drove over the Mesa to get to Telluride a couple weeks ago, and right past the avalanche section a huge rock fell on top of the car! Thank goodness not through the windshield. Needless to say, we drove back through GJ on way home 😃🪨🪨🪨

like your way of thinking too, yep, what we imagine comes to fruition, and conversely what we can’t imagine won’t happen. No chicken gizzards or alcohol for me, EVER!

Yep, it begins and ends with us. It’s internal, and past the physical withdrawals and permanent bodily damage, remaining in the new free life is MENTAL. All IN us. Us. Not THEM. Not STRESSORS. Not CELEBRATIONS.

I caused IT, nobody is coming to save me, NOBODY can talk me into going back there, NOTHING can convince me that I didn’t have a toxic relationship with alcohol. I am the one to save me. I am the one who controls my arms, legs, hands, feet and mouth. Me.

Everyone please stay safe and ‘dry’ 🤓❤️
Old 02-12-2022, 11:56 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday Weekenders!

As Free2 says, lets keep it dry!
Old 02-12-2022, 11:58 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I am tapering off the gabapentin (again) cause my right leg is swollen badly from my knee on down to my ankle. I'm taking a diuretic but haven't noticed any reduction in the swelling.

I have an appt with my doctor in a couple weeks and will ask him what else I can take to relieve the pain and numbness in my feet.
least, might an earlier appointment be in order - maybe a call to your doctor to determine if he should have a look?

Thanks for the new thread, Mags. As always, so relevant.

Thanks for the wonderful posts, all.

Wishing all an absence of c’s.

In for another Sober Weekend.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:09 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Welcome Leshar. I have Celiac too. Diagnosed 20 years ago. I have not tried Wordle yet. Going for a hike with a dear friend in a few. Will check back later.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:15 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Least, I echo others' opinions. I hope you may be able to access a medical opinion soon.
Thanks, Mesaman and Free for such thought provoking insights. I heard the term "lonely clarity" on a sobriety podcast today, to describe the feeling of "otherness" one might feel in early sobriety. you're thinking more clearly but feeling a bit "less than" as you socialize with your family and friends who drink. That's why I'm so grateful for SR, and you all. We're all in this together!
Old 02-12-2022, 12:24 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBS62 View Post
Welcome Leshar. I have Celiac too. Diagnosed 20 years ago. I have not tried Wordle yet. Going for a hike with a dear friend in a few. Will check back later.
Thanks, CBS! I couldn't believe the celiac diagnosis as I'm 64! Had about 8 months of horrible gi symptoms and was finally diagnosed by scoping. 20 years ago, I'm sure there weren't the gf options that are currently available, so that must have been difficult for you. Hope all is stable with you.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:50 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Samantha

I hope everyone's weekend is going good so far! I had to get up at the crack of dawn for work, but other than that had a fairly decent day. Went to get a bar of chocolate, tidied up a bit around the house. It's-40c here again today so I kinda refuse to go outside....I can't take it anymore! I'll finally get caught up on TV lol
Old 02-12-2022, 02:52 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Wow -40c!!! Where do you live?
Old 02-12-2022, 03:34 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Myself and another friend (who is sober 7 years) went for breakfast this morning, we went to a pub/restaurant around 11:00am. Of course the first thing we spotted was a few
people up at the bar drinking at that time. We could tell that most were 'experienced' drinkers by the looks of them and we chatted about how times have changed for the both us.
Thankfully those days are gone now and we don't want them back either.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:40 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If the swelling isn't gone or substantially reduced in a week, I'll make an earlier appt with my doctor.

Billie had a good supper, a pee, and is now lying on her purse after pulling all the linings out of it. She loves playing with her purse.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:45 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

If the swelling isn't gone or substantially reduced in a week, I'll make an earlier appt with my doctor.....
What I would do is phone now for the appointment so it's there if you need it, and can be cancelled if you're ok.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:05 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ried, that must have been a good feeling to leave the pub and go on about your day.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good idea Caramel. I'll call the office on Monday morning and make an appt for this week.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:54 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Least, I'm glad to hear you are going to call the doctor tomorrow. You've had that swelling for about a week or so now? I think that is a great idea.
Billie and her purse sound so adorable! I never thought to give one of our dogs a purse, of course, the bigger ones might eat it. I can just imagine how cute she must look with her purse!
Have a great evening all.
Super Bowl Sunday tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:00 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Wow -40c!!! Where do you live?
the centre of Canada lol....its been cold for a long time....almost 2 months with few nice days. When it's warmer....it snows
Old 02-12-2022, 06:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Samantha

I am tapering off the gabapentin (again) cause my right leg is swollen badly from my knee on down to my ankle. I'm taking a diuretic but haven't noticed any reduction in the swelling.

I have an appt with my doctor in a couple weeks and will ask him what else I can take to relieve the pain and numbness in my feet.
do you know why it's swollen my left leg swelled up massively with pain when I had a blood clot it was horrible.
Old 02-12-2022, 07:35 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
the centre of Canada lol....its been cold for a long time....almost 2 months with few nice days. When it's warmer....it snows
🤭 Fellow Canuck here!
Old 02-12-2022, 08:49 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

I’ve been playing wordle and also lingo app where there are a choice of 4,5 or 6 letter words. It is a bit easier though, it gives you the first letter!

Loving the Mesa ‘guard’ pup pic MesaMan.

Saou love seeing your pics of London. A side to it tourists don’t see.

Kaily lovely to see Alfie and Daisy out and about. I bet they give squirrels a run for their money!

Old 02-12-2022, 10:06 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Great!! That's super cold indeed
Old 02-12-2022, 10:40 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

End of Day 91 - ran a 5k at the gym in 40 minutes. Recently, I am observing an increase in small episodes of joy / positivity for no reason. Perhaps it's the dopamine producing system in my brain resetting itself after years of drinking. Wishing everyone a sober day ahead. Good night from Seattle!