SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Ultrasound scan (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/457596-ultrasound-scan.html)

SimplySue 02-09-2022 12:11 PM

Ultrasound scan

I promised I’d update on my ultrasound. I waited until now as I had the telephone follow up this afternoon and just wanted full confirmation from the Dr.

The sonographer was an amazing lady. She was the first person I have discussed this issue with face to face since I mentioned it to my GP last September. I told her what I believed was causing the pain and why. She was so understanding and empathetic. After she finished she said ‘I wouldn’t normally give any indicative findings directly as I’m worried you’ll either go and commiserate or celebrate’.
I assured her I wouldn’t be doing either, so she said ‘I’ve seen way, way worse. There’s some mild coarseness but it’s reversible if you stop now. You will recover this I’m sure.’
I cried!
She hugged me! Bless her. I needed that hug!

She returned the report to the Dr that same day and it stated the findings were ‘normal’

I’d asked the Dr to call me and she did so today and we had a really good long chat. She was so lovely with me too. I should have talked to a professional years ago. It was way easier than I thought it would be and she didn’t judge me at all.

So I have not done myself any long term damage despite my horrific treatment of my liver in recent years. This is such a huge relief to me.

I know that emotionally there is still a lot of work I need to do to heal and recover. But knowing my kids aren’t going to lose me any time soon is the best feeling in the world.

I still have pain, but nowhere near as bad as two weeks ago. I’m sure now I’m back on the sober train and fully back into my fitness training schedule and eating regime, the fatty liver will go and there will be no more pain.

Onwards and upwards now. It’s definitely worth getting checked out if you’re concerned. It had been preying on my mind for so long and causing me so much stress. I have a clean slate now and I’m treating it as a gift 🙏🏻

venuscat 02-09-2022 12:18 PM

Fantastic news dear Sue! Very happy for you. :) :hug: ❤️

Anna 02-09-2022 12:19 PM

I'm so glad that you had two kind healthcare workers to deal with. That really made the process much better for you. And, good news on your results. :)

Surrendered19 02-09-2022 12:27 PM

What awesome news Sue!!!

Hodd 02-09-2022 12:34 PM

Best news, Sue.

The “coarseness” is a warning of what may have happened. I was in the same boat, and it doesn’t bear thinking about. Like me, you’ve had the lucky break, what a gift.

Mummyto2 02-09-2022 12:38 PM

Great news

Dee74 02-09-2022 12:39 PM

I’m really glad Sue - now run with this second chance :)

D

SimplySue 02-09-2022 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hodd;[url=tel:7765072
7765072[/url]]Best news, Sue.

The “coarseness” is a warning of what may have happened. I was in the same boat, and it doesn’t bear thinking about. Like me, you’ve had the lucky break, what a gift.

I know Hodd. It sends shivers down my spine. She said there’s a tipping point and nobody knows when your liver will reach it, but once it does, it’s like falling off a cliff. No return. I was on the road there. Thank goodness I didn’t go any further.

Juve 02-09-2022 12:49 PM

Sue,

Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic news! And it sounds like your doctor also sensed that you've indeed turned a corner on the recovery road. So happy for you!!!

Let's all recover and heal.

Johannes

Hodd 02-09-2022 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SimplySue (Post 7765078)
I know Hodd. It sends shivers down my spine. She said there’s a tipping point and nobody knows when your liver will reach it, but once it does, it’s like falling off a cliff. No return. I was on the road there. Thank goodness I didn’t go any further.

👍 and I don’t want to put too much of a downer on your brilliant news, Sue, but I’m reminded of my wife’s friend who’s not much older than me and has alcohol-related cirrhosis. He has to get his belly drained a few times a week, and the only way out is a liver transplant. I can’t even imagine having a deceased person’s liver inside me as I’d ruined my own. I honestly think I would refuse as I’d literally go insane with guilt. Thankfully, by what I reckon is maybe five years, I escaped having to make such a grim choice. The whole situation with my lucky break and my wife’s friend’s situation gives me a very uneasy feeling indeed.

But I did make the right choice as did you, Sue. We shouldn’t waste what is pretty much a second chance :)

Hevyn 02-09-2022 02:28 PM

I'm so happy to hear this hopeful news, Sue. I beat mine up very badly too. We are so fortunate.

dustyfox 02-09-2022 03:37 PM

Sue - great news - and yes it is a gift! Keep it safe,

least 02-09-2022 04:10 PM

I'm glad for your good news, and, as Dee said, take this second chance and run with it. :hug:

Steely 02-09-2022 08:38 PM

Great news Sue. If my my memory serves me well George Best brilliant English soccer player '70's (?) received successful liver transplant only to return to drinking. He died. :(

Don't intend this post to be a downer as your news is great Sue :) just reminding myself of the power of the of the AV. Take this second chance with both hands Sue and live the life you deserve . The good and honest life of sobriety. :)

Colin1 02-09-2022 08:57 PM

So glad to hear this good news Sue :)

SimplySue 02-09-2022 10:04 PM

Thank you so much everybody for your words of support. It means so much that I’ve found somewhere I can talk freely. I’ve spent so long just keeping it all to myself for fear of being judged. It feels so liberating to finally get it out in the open!

The health care professionals couldn’t have been nicer with me. I was so scared they would be dismissive. I was so wrong.

I know of a man who recently died from liver failure. He wasn’t a friend or anything. I just knew of him. He was clearly a closet drinker as his wife says she hadn’t realised the extent of his issues. He had been ignoring Hospital letters for months apparently. At the end he suddenly became very confused and turned yellow. They took him into hospital and there was nothing they could do other than give pain relief. His story has haunted me even though I didn’t know him. I know one of his children. He has two 😢
Anyway, this has rammed home to me how powerful that AV really is. It can be deadly and I cannot afford to ever underestimate it.

Thankfully, mine is silent just now. But I’m acutely aware that won’t always be the case. I need to focus on how to tackle it when it comes back, which it will.

Talking about it helps so much. My only regret is that I didn’t do this sooner!

Thanks again everybody. You are all amazing xxx

Hodd 02-10-2022 12:23 AM

Hi Sue, cravings fade but I reckon they don’t leave entirely. I get (smaller) cravings if I’m tired, but these last minutes. The good news is the habit of drinking goes altogether, so that’s equally important.

And yes, we all should’ve done this earlier, but we can cherish our future all that bit more.

anxiousrock 02-10-2022 07:14 PM

I'm glad they took you seriously and checked it out. Good news! Great to hear you're already eating well and exercising to reverse some of the effects or alcohol! It can sure do some damage as we all know.

MLD51 02-11-2022 06:37 AM

Great news, Sue!
You are braver than I was. I was afraid to get my liver checked. When I went to my GP to get a physical so I could enter treatment, she asked if I wanted to take a look at my liver. I said no. Right at that moment in time, I was absolutely at my lowest point in my life, and I just didn't want to know. I had only been sober a few days at that point and all I could do was cry. She did say, no matter what is going on with your liver, if you never drink again, you're giving yourself your best chance to recover. So that was what I decided I needed to do. And so far, over 7 years later, I have not gone back to drinking. I did have a full panel at my last physical, and everything was normal. That was a relief.

Take this gift, cherish it, and remember how close you came to the tipping point.

SimplySue 02-11-2022 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by MLD51 (Post 7765767)
Great news, Sue!
You are braver than I was. I was afraid to get my liver checked. When I went to my GP to get a physical so I could enter treatment, she asked if I wanted to take a look at my liver. I said no. Right at that moment in time, I was absolutely at my lowest point in my life, and I just didn't want to know. I had only been sober a few days at that point and all I could do was cry. She did say, no matter what is going on with your liver, if you never drink again, you're giving yourself your best chance to recover. So that was what I decided I needed to do. And so far, over 7 years later, I have not gone back to drinking. I did have a full panel at my last physical, and everything was normal. That was a relief.

Take this gift, cherish it, and remember how close you came to the tipping point.

Thank you MLD and super well done on 7 years! 👏👏

I’m not sure if I was brave or not. I made the Dr’s appointment after one ‘lapse’ following six months clean. I just needed to tell a medical person what had been going on with me. This was back in August last year. They did the bloods straight away which came back fine. But I know that blood tests can be normal even when things are going on with the liver. It took all this time to get the scan due to covid backlog. Since August I’d had three more binges of about three/four days each. The last one ended two days before the scan. To be honest, I’m still incredulous that there was a normal result. But it’s been really good to go through this process and fully understand from a professional where I could have been heading.
I’m definitely eternally grateful and also mindful that this ends now. Truly a gift to be cherished! 🙏🏻