Notices

Excited for Today

Old 02-09-2022, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Excited for Today

Hi all,

After first quitting drinking thanks to SR back in 2013 and remaining sober for most of the years between 2013-2020, I’m ready to take the next step and have an assessment scheduled with a treatment center in town in a few hours. They are a dual diagnosis center and will assess me for both mental health issues which I know I have, and also addiction issues which I know I also have. I’ve been sober since 2-5-2022 and I’m done trying to go it alone (or secretly with SR even though you’ve all been great) and am ready to get my life in order. I turn 40 this year and I would be so happy to enjoy my life from here on out without the constant strain of secrecy, addiction, and mental problems. Obviously this will be a continuous work in progress, but I know this time is different because I’ve called in my family and close friends for help, which they have been more than willing to do, and I’m ready to be more present for my kids and husband.

For the first time in awhile, I feel hopeful and am ready to do the work.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is so fantastic Lunetta!!! Awesome post. I will tell you that when I quit, I told my immediate family and a few trusted friends and having those close to me know made it all so much easier to deal with in many ways. There is in-person accountability there. Once you name the monster too, it is out in the open and so much less scary to deal with. Telling your inner circle is like flipping the light on. No more monster. Just a dirty little AV that you can deal with.

Good luck in your assessments and please keep us posted on how things are going.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And I SOOO wish I had quit the year I turned 40!!! Be proud of that. I drank for another 14 years after I turned 40. Having run that particular experiment, I can confirm that the results are very predictable, full of pain and shame, and cause permanent damage to your kids and family and your body and your mind.

You are so young and your 40's and 50's are two great decades.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
That is so fantastic Lunetta!!! Awesome post. I will tell you that when I quit, I told my immediate family and a few trusted friends and having those close to me know made it all so much easier to deal with in many ways. There is in-person accountability there. Once you name the monster too, it is out in the open and so much less scary to deal with. Telling your inner circle is like flipping the light on. No more monster. Just a dirty little AV that you can deal with.

Good luck in your assessments and please keep us posted on how things are going.
This was exactly my thinking. Not only needing help with my kids while dealing with this, but by letting them know now they KNOW and I honestly don’t feel any shame or embarrassment, and everyone has been amazing and understanding. One of my immediate family members is big into AA and we’ve had others with addiction issues so it’s not even new to them which is helpful. They were mostly surprised and felt terrible that they didn’t “know”. How could they? I was hiding it and isolating myself and they really didn’t have any reason to worry. That’s why this time feels different. I will definitely post an update when I am able! Thank you Surrendered!
Old 02-09-2022, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you Lunetta and good job on your sobriety. Mental health issues often go hand-in-hand with alcoholism, so going to a dual diagnosis centre is a good plan.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunetta View Post
Hi all,

After first quitting drinking thanks to SR back in 2013 and remaining sober for most of the years between 2013-2020, I’m ready to take the next step and have an assessment scheduled with a treatment center in town in a few hours. They are a dual diagnosis center and will assess me for both mental health issues which I know I have, and also addiction issues which I know I also have. I’ve been sober since 2-5-2022 and I’m done trying to go it alone (or secretly with SR even though you’ve all been great) and am ready to get my life in order. I turn 40 this year and I would be so happy to enjoy my life from here on out without the constant strain of secrecy, addiction, and mental problems. Obviously this will be a continuous work in progress, but I know this time is different because I’ve called in my family and close friends for help, which they have been more than willing to do, and I’m ready to be more present for my kids and husband.

For the first time in awhile, I feel hopeful and am ready to do the work.
I am going to say the same thing as Surrendered ~ that is fantastic dear Lunetta! s ❤️
Old 02-09-2022, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This can be the start of a wonderful sober life. No secrets, no hiding. Just a healthy sober mind and a healthier body.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Lunetta

D

Old 02-09-2022, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So happy to hear this, Lunetta! You sound determined & filled with hope.
Old 02-09-2022, 05:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Rootin for ya !
Old 02-09-2022, 06:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words! I spent nearly 4 hours there telling a counselor everything and it was exhausting and emotional but felt so great to tell someone who understands what’s been going on. I will have a referral for a psychologist soon and start group therapy tomorrow night and doing an IOP. I picked up dinner for my dad and his gf and am so thankful to have the full support of my family and close friends. I decided to stay a few more days away from my girls to work on myself. They are doing well with their grandparents and I’m just thankful all around. ❤️ I’m going to get some rest and look forward to another successfully sober day tomorrow. Have a good night SR!
Old 02-09-2022, 07:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You too Lunetta - sleep well

D
Old 02-10-2022, 01:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

SR support with you, traveling beside you on this
amazing journey as you learn how to remain sober
each day moving forward.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Fantastic you go girl 👍
Old 02-11-2022, 10:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is such an awesome post! I’m so excited for you Lunetta. I can’t wait to hear all about the journey.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wish you the best Lunetta!
I can relate to a lot in your post and know it is a huge step asking for help after years of trying to do it alone.
Keep us posted x
Old 02-13-2022, 06:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job, Lunetta. Keep posting and let us know how you do.