Notices

Day 1 again

Old 02-05-2022, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

Well, I drank every day for six days. Regret it as usual and realise I need to be humble and grateful and follow SR’s advice.
Sorry if I appeared headstrong and reacted badly to certain advice that was kindly give. I need to now be headstrong about my sobriety ! Am really sick of my ‘Pavlov’s dog reaction to stress (as someone on here put it … and they were right! ). So thanks for your comments .. please be gentle though. I’m beating myself up sufficiently as it is !!
Old 02-05-2022, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m glad you made it back ICDT.

maybe it’s time to think about utilising more support - maybe seeing your doctor about your problem, or a counsellor, or maybe trying a meeting based approach like AA or SMART?

D
Old 02-05-2022, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried AA years ago and didn’t get on with it but still have the numbers of some of the folks who were really nice ! I may give them a ring and look up info about Smart online ! Thanks Dee!
Old 02-05-2022, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Icandothis

I like Smart Recovery as well

Maybe you can join us in some other threads like the One Year and Under, or the Soberbus ~ a little more support might help!
Old 02-05-2022, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Ican. You might also consider joining the Feb class. I found the class to be really helpful due to the closer support.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Advbike. Where is the link please ?
Old 02-05-2022, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Been there Ican…it feels terrible to fall. But as long as you get back up each time…You may one day fall no more.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ican - great to see you looking at different options now, it’s the only way to get different results.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
The Class of February is in Newcomers forum.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-one-6.html

You'll always find the current month thread in Newcomers forum

D
Old 02-05-2022, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ican, welcome back. I too am headstrong so it was hard and still is hard for me. However, I am taking a complete different mindset because for me what I was doing or not doing was not working for me. I come here to SR several times a day and read or post. I accept all insight/advice be it compassionate, empathic, "harsh", "blunt" because to me the people here are going through or have gone through what I am going through so I figure the more tools in my tool box the better. I wish you the very best.
oh, and someone here once told me " you fall down 7 times and get up 8"
Old 02-05-2022, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcoholics can be very headstrong. Nothing wrong with that if it is to achieve a positive goal. I've been headstrong in the past, and usually it ends up with bad results. It dismisses other people's opinions and help. The thing is, we don't always know what's best for us. Listening to others' helps to think outside of the box we headstrong people put ourselves in. Accepting advice from others seems like we are letting go and giving up on controlling our lives, but it is just the opposite. Advice from others gives us the power to gain control of our lives. Easier said then done. Giving up control to get more control comes down to a leap of faith. Scary stuff. John
Old 02-05-2022, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up too much ICDT. You can bang and bang and bang on your own head and when it's done, nothing has changed and you have all the same problems to solve. That is good advice for me and the rest of us too.

You can get this figured out. And as others have said, we addicts can be so stubborn. It is our strength and our curse. We merely need to learn to use our stubborn superpowers for good and not evil to ourselves.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ican - I found/find reading both current threads and old ones, daily helps to keep me focused and steady. Even if I don't feel like reading threads I do anyway. I have been 'headstrong' in the past, and it got me to here in the end. I am so pleased you came back!
Old 02-05-2022, 04:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Ican! I'm glad you're okay.

I think the main thing is to add something to your recovery plan so that this doesn't happen again. I know that relapses are so demoralizing.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very glad to see you, Ican. Congrats on Day 1. This can be where the misery ends.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you are back! I spent many years on the relapse train and it really does get old. I second Ann’s suggestion to have a close look at your recovery plan as that’s what finally has worked for me to put together real sober time.

You can do it!
Old 02-05-2022, 11:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello ICDT 👋

I’ve lost count of how many day 1’s I’ve had in recent years. It’s so hard to stay on the straight and narrow. I know that this time I must try something different to avoid the same old pitfalls I fell into before.

This place is such a help. Before I came here I’d never really spoken to anybody about my issues. I just kept it all to myself and battled alone. I’ve made a pledge to myself to check in here every day. It will remind me of where I am on the journey and that I’m not the only one fighting this battle.
I’ve not yet decided if I need any other outside help from the likes of AA. I’ve not ruled it out, but it’s not something I feel I want to do….yet.
One day at a time for now, and always with an open mind about other options for support.

Good luck, you’ve got this!
Old 02-06-2022, 06:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My last relapse and trying to get back to sobriety lasted for the better part of 2+ years. On and off the drunk train. Really feeling beaten down but unable to stop myself from drinking. I could not stop. It was brutal. I was truly a mess at the end there.

I just did something different this go round. Im not sure what that different was but I stayed the course no matter what. That "different" has given me 16 months of freedom from active alcoholism.

It was HARD. I was very raw for a very long time. Its only now, 16 months into my sobriety, that I can feel the anxiety I suffer from melting away and the rumination leaving. Its taken me a very long time to get better. Had I taken the advice from others maybe I would not have suffered so much during my first year of sobriety? That being said, I have my own road to walk and I had to carve out my own path to get sober. We all have to find what works for ourselves. Sobriety is not linear for most people.

You are deserving of sobriety and deserving of a supportive community. Stay here and find your people. There are many. Ignore the ones that do not fit your style. Block them. Not everyone is going to fit our style and comfort levels. Its okay. All of it is okay. The most important part of all of this is that you recover and that you have the support you need to recover. We all need support.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you dear Mizz! You’re an inspiration !